gdf

Plug your shit

I completed the cave part. I really dislike those fans, it's annoying to get the right height.

I've also found a few small issues. I fell through some geometry once, I had to quit to menu and return. This is the approximate location.

It took me like 2 tries to break the "teeth" in the cave, the resulting rubble was missing some textures.

And now I'm stuck. I'm in the second forest segment, completed 2 glass houses. But I can reach the third one which I guess I need to reach via the trees.

When you fell through the geo, did the "return to checkpoint" option in the pause menu not work? If so I need to get the fuck on that. Unfortunately there's some stuff we just can't fix with UDK on account of not having engine code, and physics objects occasionally passing through geo when moving quickly is one of them. 

The fans seem to get different results between PCs sometimes, which is interesting and troublesome. Also varies some by frame rate. This is another weird stupid UDK physics thing.

In the forest where you're at, there's a steam vent you have to use to get up to one of the huts. You have to unblock it first by just pushing some boulders out of the way. If you are a super badass you can actually also just jump all the way up using a halfpipe.

Didn't think about the return to checkpoint menu option.

As for the forrest problem, I just went back to the game, and this time the planks did come off. Yesterday it didn't.

I remember Tribes: Vengeance having an amusing issue with the UDK physics. Very often you'd die and then your ragdoll would go hurtling through the terrain, with you forced to watch as he falls endlessly through the void before being able to respawn. 

Tribes: Vengeance didn't use UDK. It used UnrealEngine2.5, which at the time was using MathEngine's Karma as physics. Irrational however replaced Karma with Havok.

Falling endlessly through the void would be a bug in T:V's levels because standard practice is to set a KillZ just below the lowest point of the world. When an actor goes below the KillZ it will automatically be destroyed.

UDK is based on UnrealEngine3, and thus used PhysX.

As for the high speed collision thing. This is sort of a tradeoff between performance and accuracy. You have to enable continuous collision detection on your physics body. This should prevent high speed objects from passing through objects. [1]

Anyway. I just completed InFlux in a little over 3 hours :tup:.

I enabled continuous collision detection of course, but it only works up to a point. If we had sauce code we could have improved it I'm sure.

Cheers for feedbacks again. 

Tribes: Vengeance didn't use UDK. It used UnrealEngine2.5, which at the time was using MathEngine's Karma as physics. Irrational however replaced Karma with Havok.

Falling endlessly through the void would be a bug in T:V's levels because standard practice is to set a KillZ just below the lowest point of the world. When an actor goes below the KillZ it will automatically be destroyed.

UDK is based on UnrealEngine3, and thus used PhysX.

As for the high speed collision thing. This is sort of a tradeoff between performance and accuracy. You have to enable continuous collision detection on your physics body. This should prevent high speed objects from passing through objects. [1]

Anyway. I just completed InFlux in a little over 3 hours :tup:.

Oh, I see. I thought UDK was the name of Unreal Engine's development suite/kit/whatever (I guess it is for UE3), which is what I really meant.

UDK is a strip down version of UnrealEngine, which everybody can use to create commercial applications. It's more or less gratis until you make $50.000 (after digital distributor cut). With the UDK you cannot alter the engine itself, but you can still do a lot of stuff. For example Hawken is just the UDK. And Q.U.B.E. was made with the UDK but without using UnrealScript, they only used the features of the editor and visual programming language (which is commonly used for level scripting)

i-smel_scot-free.jpg i-smel_notredame.jpg i-smel_tracy.jpg i-smel_vista.jpg

Right now I'm doing pre-production art on our next game inbetween working on the current one.

It's looking fairly likely that this will be our next project, which is good, cos I like it. I'm figuring out composition stuff like what fire and smoke should look like, what explosions and blood and water should look like, etc.

Sometimes it's just me figuring out how to use Photoshop.

This is more stuff I'll be using to inform pitch material and promotional assets later. There's a tonne of other small stuff that doesn't look as flashy or nice. Like this concepting, for example. I want this one guy to be a mysterious healer/engineer, but also fit in with the other guys, who are closer to jet-pirates.

Anyway our actual current game is SpeedRunners, which now has weekly events every Thursday. These are modifiers on the game,

. If you don't play on the day then you'll miss it, so keep up with the event calendar in-game.

Awwww yissss. I'm glad you guys are gonna make that jet thing into a real game.The prototype was pretty fun.

Valve released a huge update for Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (the latest one) about a week ago, and 7 of the 8 maps it added were created by members of my forum and playtested to perfection on our server — they dutifully ensured that each one had an easter egg for the forum in it. :tup: :tup:

One of the guys who created two of them also had one of his maps appear in an earlier update for the game several months ago and did a write-up of the experience:

Operation: Payback, First Hand

Turns out he's received $18,000 so far from the first one, which isn't a bad bit of cash for someone doing it for the sheer fun of it. It's great to see Valve giving back to the community like this and actively getting involved in promoting great maps. Of course Valve gets plenty out of it too, but it takes me back to the great HL1 modding scene and the way that Valve had such a good relationship with the community.

The title of this thread still grosses me out, but I made a simple little tune last night after receiving some new music equipment!

https://soundcloud.com/eotf-seork/day-1-volca-jam-i-mean-volca

It's all done with the 3 little guys in the middle of the picture, which are two analog synths (one polyphonic with a delay effect, the other a bassline mono with 3 parts) and a drum machine. Whenever I get my paws on a new thing like that, I always try make a little ditty right away instead of getting too caught up twiddling around, and I like the way this one came out.

I have been experimenting with Unity of late. More specifically, I read that Unity 4.3 is gonna have native 2D support, and that really excited me. So I decided to just jump in now and get used to Unity so that when it does come out, I can start making stuff right away without a huge ramp-up. I've been using RagePixel, a free, super-simple 2D plugin. It's pretty limited, but it's serving me well for one idea I've been wanting to make for a while. It's about explosions! More specifically, chaining explosions. Clicking on a spot will spawn an explosion. I'm thinking a puzzle game where the goal is to clear a level in as few clicks as possible.

Anyway, here's what I have so far, after a couple days of dedicated work, both learning Unity and learning RagePixel: http://www.twigbits.com/wp-content/uploads/explosions/2013-11-08/WebBuild.html

Obviously it's very early. But hey! (That little dude is left over from when I was trying things out. He has nothing to do with the game. But you can move him around with the arrow keys!)

Haha. That game is worth it for the guy's walk animation alone. :tup:

http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/blocpk/18692/

I drew a bunch of assets for this game. Think Nidhogg meets basketball or something; grab a (real life) friend and play it!

I apologize for minor bugs and shitty backgrounds.

EDIT: Wow it looks really bad to have like four posts on this forum and immediately plug my shit. Apologies for that too.

I downloaded some 'Vine' app and was immediately overcome with an insatiable desire to act like a tit.[1]

i-smel_scot-free.jpg i-smel_notredame.jpg i-smel_tracy.jpg i-smel_vista.jpg

We are about to announce this game publicly.

The code name has been "JetGetters" for a long time. Producer wants to call it "Super Sky Pirates", which is a fucking stupid name.

Here's my list I made yesterday.

1455999_583220658399130_764708238_n.jpg

Any input/suggestions?