gdf

Plug your shit

Yeah I really really like what you're going for. And i'm jealous I can't do the same! It's really tough to find a lo-fi 3D style that actually manages to look good and I think you've mostly nailed it (bar my annoying nitpicking). Yay!

EDIT: Sorta reminds me of this: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=138241781 Except for the different setting and being slightly more detailed. But well, you know. Details.

Also my style guide is pretty much Interstate '76. 

interstate_76_003.gif

Does Interstate 76 hold up as a game? The art still looks awesome and I have a copy of the soundtrack that is the best generic studio funk ever.

For me, not a lot has changed in the past 10 years. I'm still looking forward to games with more content rather than more pixels or larger textures.

For example, Duke Nukem 3D had more to offer to me as a game world than Quake. 17 years later, the average FPS game as even less content than Quake.

One of my favorite games of all time is Anachronox. The game that was shipped was less than 50% of what they intended the game to be. But, the world is extremely rich in content.

The whole HD move of current gen (which isn't "HD" at all) is just pushing pixels, not content or world-content. With the next generation of consoles I for see only better graphics, but still the same old world where only significant elements exist. Sure, I can shoot this pane of glass, but not this pane of glass. I can talk to these people because it's significant for a quest. But the other people simply say the same shit (*).

So, for me HD is not pixels, but more definition on the world.

*) I really like voiced conversations. But I don't see any harm in having text-only conversations for non-storyline. Generated text is easy, making it sound good is not. For example, in Daggerfall you could address any person you encountered, and unless the person was significant, you had options to ask for directions or rumors. All this stuff was randomly generated. The rumors often involved a quest you were working on, or a quest you recently completed. (I'm not sure if Morrowing also had this.) But this single feature made the world so much more colorful.

I'm thinking of making an adventure game (in this style) with text-only dialogue (because I probably can't afford good voice actors). This is currently super vague, I only just thought of doing it. Is text-only dialogue throughout the game a huge turnoff for you?

edit: because you said "I don't see any harm in having text-only conversations for non-storyline"

Text only isn't the problem, walls of text are. For example, I think Baldur's Gate has walls of text.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't make anything with walls of text. It's one of the things that turned me off Morrowind the first time I played it actually.

I'm a serial shit-plugger lately apparently because check it out I wrote a new blog post all about this stuff I've been showing you guys.

I spent a long time never updating my blog, not sure where this sudden resurgence has come from.

I can break up this shit today with some of my own shit:

A NEW GAME ANNOUNCED, BY US, TODAY!

Here's the trailer if you just wanna watch (which I also animated!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=r-1qEEKpTGg

I'll cut out the marketing for you guys: It's like Mario Kart but it's a platformer.  Y'know those Contra levels where you can scroll your co-op friend offscreen by getting ahead too fast? It's competetive that, with a bunch of nutty twists like slide-tackling people and hook-shotting people.

This game was designed by DoubleDutch Games (did I mention I moved to NL?) and I'm here to re-do the art and animation, n kick some life and identity into the brand (see high-fiving animation), which is then marketed and published by us as a company (tinyBuild.com)

I like this trailer animation, and the art in the game is COMIN' ALONG!

If all goes well I'll be back in this thread with a multiplayer sneaking game I jammed out in Unity by the end o the week! What could it be!???

--Oh also I didn't have final edit on this trailer. I just want that on the record, because I'm a dick.

That looks hilarious and awesome. Questions: can you have multiple people paying on the same machine? XBOX Controller support? 

Wow, that looks insanely fun. And a Beta signup? Count me... signed... up. Yeah.

But seriously, this looks really cool, and I really want to play it.

Controller support yes, two guys on local VS two guys online: yes.

All 4 guys on local: yep

This game is not coded by me, so actually functions very well.

and I know you guys are gonna be wondering whether or not I'm allowed to say "Coming To Steam". This game has been around for a while, and people at Steam have seen it in another incarnation on XBLIG and at promotional shows. They've supported it being on Steam since before Greenlight existed, and we're signed up to release actually pretty soon, in some form.

Yeah I'm as surprised as you are.

Looks like a great concept, and an excellent trailer, well done! My immediate touchstone was Micro Machines rather than Mario Kart.

Is there a slightly more, um, professional announcement page anywhere that I can plug?

Holy crap, I love love love love LOVE local multiplayer, that looks like an absolute blast. The art is great too, and I really like the comic-book style - the whole trailer is dripping with pizzazz. (IGN.com?)

I actually just finished my first game a few weeks ago. It was originally going to be an entry into Ludum Dare 26 (48-hour design competition, the theme this year was Minimalism), but I missed the deadline and ended up finishing(?) it anyway. It's a puzzle-action-thing/mini art project where you drag r/g/b soldiers around a grid, matching colors with oncoming enemies. Your characters develop as they win more battles, gaining special abilities, eventually becoming undefeatable legends. There's a bunch of difficulty levels, a handful of artsy-fartsy secrets, and some sweet midi jams for maximum rocking. Once I get some more time on my hands, I definitely want to remake it sans 'programmer art' and with a bunch of things I ended up cutting for time (varied enemy behavior, multiple bosses, even more hipster meta stuff).

It's called Chroma Zone (totes free, it's set to pay what you want so you can just pay nothing). Since this is my first released game (I've been using Game Maker for about 7 years, coding for 5, still use GM out of sheer convenience and familiarity), any thoughts you guys have are much appreciated, especially things I could do to improve on the existing mechanics. Thanks!

you can... just put your name in...

Should I MAKE UP some beta keys? offer code Wizard?

Ah, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't make anything with walls of text. It's one of the things that turned me off Morrowind the first time I played it actually.

I'm a serial shit-plugger lately apparently because check it out I wrote a new blog post all about this stuff I've been showing you guys.

I spent a long time never updating my blog, not sure where this sudden resurgence has come from.

Really cool, that 2-hour scene is bad-ass.

That offer code needs at least 3 more 'a's.

I'm a serial shit-plugger lately apparently because check it out I wrote a new blog post all about this stuff I've been showing you guys.

Oh god I think my eyeballs exploded. I love lo-fi 3D, and those screens've stolen my heart.

That looks really great! Extra marks for showing so much gameplay in the trailer.