gdf

Plug your shit

Oh god no, I just run the site. I used to map a lot during the Half-Life 1 modding boom, after that I went into other creative areas. Somehow along the way I ended up running a forum packed to the rafters with industry artists; during the past few months I've been trying to take it beyond just being a forum, so been enlisting some of the members to contribute articles which has been going really well and I encourage anyone who enjoys them to thank them with a comment or something. :tup:

I'd like to think it'll lead to a really good catalogue of content and be valued for insightful articles as much as a forum, but for now I'm just trying to get people motivated to help out and write. Hence the shameless pimping!

BigJKO, Nach, Pirate and TP, we all would have believed that you'd also spotted them, you didn't each need to laboriously type them out and spoiler tag them!

And miss that feeling of superiority?! Never.

I'm not sure where to post this but it would feel weird to make a thread out of the blue. Has anyone ever played forum mafia or some variant of it? Some people know it as a party game (sometimes called "Werewolf"). It's similar in concept to a game like The Ship or Spy Party. 

It was created by a soviet psychologist to determine who has an advantage between a large uninformed group and a small informed group. You can play with a group of around 11-30. The majority of the group is designated as "town" (or "human", you can use whatever flavor you like) and a smaller section is designated as "mafia". A town player only knows his or her own identity and role. The mafia player knows the identity of the other mafia players in the game. They are also able to communicate/plot in secret outside of the game while everyone else is constricted to a public forum of communication.

Each "Day", usually a 48 hour cycle when playing on a forum, everyone votes on a player to eliminate at the end of the day. That player is then eliminated and their alignment is revealed. After the day cycle, there is a 24 hour "Night" cycle where the mafia convenes and chooses a target to kill that night. The goal of the game for the town is to eliminate all mafia players from the game. The goal of the mafia is to reduce the number of town so that they are equal or lesser in number to the mafia. In the purest form of the game, no one is allowed to communicate at night except for the mafia but I rarely see this enforced in forum games. 

There is a lot more to it than that, of course. But even when you add in a lot of special roles or third factions, the core of the game remains the same. The town must analyse the posts and behavior of everyone in the thread, trying to determine who is part of the mafia faction. The mafia must participate in the town discussion and remain unsuspicious, trying to take part in the finger pointing without incriminating their teammates and encouraging the bad lynch mobs that rise up against innocent players. I think it's a blast. There aren't a lot of great avenues to play the game, unfortunately. I used to host and play games over at TeamLiquid quite a lot but since I've stopped posting there, it's hard to find a good game. Don't know if it's something anyone would be interested in but for anyone who likes armchair psychoanalysis, it's fun as hell. The biggest barrier to entry is that there is often a lot to read and it can be a pretty involved and emotionally draining game for some people. I hope I explained it adequately.

Or open Photoshop, paste each in its own layer and turn the top one into difference blending mode.

post-5974-0-56498100-1361313379_thumb.jpg

Yes I think anything other than looking at two parallel images is pretty much full-on cheating. Gits.

BigJKO, Nach, Pirate and TP, we all would have believed that you'd also spotted them, you didn't each need to laboriously type them out and spoiler tag them!

Never trust anyone, Ben. Not even yourself. That's the thing I've learned from being on the Idle Forums for nine(!) years!

I found all three in about 30 seconds. Yay!

The wave, the glove, the sail.

I was doing it and found everything in a few seconds, but then I kept looking for a minute before I read the description and found out so already found it all.

Yes, everyone help Lacabra! (I did!)

The original post is on a previous page now. Too difficult.

Alright guys here's an update on this jet-stealing game. PROTOTYPE!

(note every time I show this to people it decides to break and glitch apart, so expect broken-ness)

Left-click to shoot, right-click to eject. You can steal other jets by aiming at them and right-clicking.

BISON has a rocket on Space-bar. After shooting the rocket, you can pop out and hijack it same as other jets.

SNAKE drops mines on Space-bar that you can also hijack.

WOLF has a jetpack, and the other guy doesn't really have anything.

LOADS of ideas in mind for stuff like piggybacking on team-mates, pushing mines around, a level with a roof, etc. My network code is a bit crap because I've never done this before, and also I don't have an office full of people to test a multiplayer game with :(

YET!!!!!!

What do you guys think of these potential game modes?
HEIST

HUNT

RATIONS

DEATHMATCH

I have a billion things to say about this stuff, but y'know, long post, I'll cut it off here. EXCITING!

EDIT-- I put piggybacking in. I didn't expect the feeling of "HOP ON MY BACK! wweeeeeeee!" to be as fun as it is.

Just tried out that prototype. There was no one else on, so I was just flying around, but it seems like a really awesome idea. The only issue I found is that the autopilot has no collision avoidance whatsoever, so when you eject and then right-click to bring your plane back, sometimes the plane just mashes into a building while trying to pick you up.

I'd really like to try this with other players, so post in here if you're gonna give it a whirl, folks.

EDIT: Got my friend to join a game with me. This seems like a really fun idea. The thing where you can grapple on to other people's planes and kick them out is sweet. We definitely broke the hell out of it at a couple points and had to refresh, but when it works, it's pretty fun.

I'm doing a lot of art concepts now and it's weirdly hard. I've kind of come to the conclusion that multiplayer games are halfway just a lobby for people to goof around with their friends, so trying to shout over people with a loud, unique aesthetic isn't gonna help with that. The game is other people, and if the other people are bizarre anime pirate-girl monsters then you're not gonna be fast friends as easily as if they were just dudes.

So usually with art stuff I've bin learning to go super dense and trying to always add more layers- but with this I have to be as blank as possible so that a guy who doesn't like wizards, and doesn't like astronauts, and doesn't like ostentatious armour-lords can all jump in and LIKE each other and be friends. So I'm filing down these huge jackets and scarves and hats, still hoping that what I come out with isn't boring.

Oh and the main glitch right now is that sometimes when you steal a jet, it ejects wrong and ends up with 2 pilots in the same jet, which leads to a downward spiral of breaking.