gdf

Plug your shit

Another Blog Post: http://www.gamasutra...es_and_soon.php

Basically, consoles are over, done with. I realized it today, a catalyst moment from all the stuff that's been going on. Retail contraction for years. Hundreds of developers leaving their big jobs and unhappy, big studios unable to adapt and closing down.

"This is the last console generation" you'll hear it from a hundred sources, big successful triple A developers, and they say it with a big smile on there face. No one wants a Playstation 4 except Sony. No one wants a Wii U. Not really, not if there was a better way, almost any better way, and they all seem to expect it to be here. Every customer and every developer and every publisher is tired of their closed, controlled environment shit, and their huge royalties they cut from every game sale, and all their general bullshit.

And what's more, every other hardware manufacturer out there seems to know this, and is trying to find "a better way". It's not even co-ordinated, or agreed upon, or etc. It's just so obvious that there a hundred companies out there fiddling around with something that's not a console. Smart TV's and Smart TV boxes are getting gaming apps, Cloud Gaming is every which way despite it's massive failures so far, and there's a thousand projects to turn Android into some gaming device.

I'm certain there's something near. An Iphone like device, and moment, when something really truly better will come along. And it will replace the traditional console as quickly as the smartphone has replaced the normal cell phone. The Xbox 360 has had a good 8 year run, there's little chance it's successor will have as long and successful a run as that.

Hey

. It's kinda semi-good but nothing amazing, I made it about 2 years ago and it just got greenlit.

I'm excited and nervous about how much it makes, cos I'd LIKE it to sell a few thousand so I can spend the next year working on new games.

(This footage is from an old version with old art)

Anyway the MAIN REASON I'm making a post is that I just now had a huge burst of energy and planned out a new game idea. HERE IT IS!!!!

Jet Nabbers!! (working title)

Y'know those badass videos of people hopping out of jets in Battlefield? This is a whole game built around that. You fly a jet around, like an Ace Combat dog-fighting game, and at any time you can eject out.

Up in the air, you can see people flying around below, and can freefall down and use a Just Cause grappling-hook to nab onto a foe and steal their jet. Up in the air, you are very easy to kill, because men are not made of metal, although you can turn in place and shoot in any direction, because men are not the size of jets.

Instead of stealing someone's jet, maybe you just wanna shoot them and get back in yours. This is OK, because you can call your jet back to you like the hammer of Thor. If someone destroys or steals your jet while you're not in it though, you'll have to just float there in a parachute and (probably) get shot to death.

In freefall, you can also catch missiles in mid-flight and steer them around. You might want to grapple someone else in freefall and wrestle their parachute away from them.

In jet-form you might want to aim at a falling team-mate and catch them, or let them ride on you. You might want to launch your million-dollar aircraft at a foe and eject out just in time. If someone tries to hijack you, you'll have to shake them off, or fly straight downwards and eject at the last second.

Recharging your resources wirelessly within an area around your base will encourage everyone to stay close together.

That's the idea. I hope I can prototype it soon. In my head it's a skybox full of jets crashing into each other, and men ragdolling through the sky like maniacs.

Yeah that's your one-time-use missile.

The game is a dog-fight combat game, except you can ditch the jet and go hands-on in an idiotic twist. You and your friends can have fun swapping jets in the sky, and catching each other.

Excellent. I am hoping for part Triplane Turmoil and part Liero. Sign me up for that, it sounds "sick". By which I mean, one of the air-wrestling moves might involve an in-flight sick bag being placed over an opponent's head and then popped.

I bought No Time to Explain just now, cause it was on the front page of Steam as a featured PC game.

You are famous now.

Edit: The background art of the Steam page is amazing, almost missed that.

Hey I remember seeing footage from No Time To Explain some time ago and thinking it looked super funny and interesting. I'm putting it on a buying list as soon as my PC is up and running. (Probably some other stuff is first, though, no hard feelings.) Good job, sir!

I received a code for No Time To Explain on Steam in my email today due to having bought it way back in the day! Totally unexpected! Thanks, I_smell!

I was just reminded that this thread exists, so I guess I should post in here. Two things:

- I play in a hardcore band called Twin Tusks. We have an EP out, and another one coming out in March or April. You can listen to the existing one for free, on our bandcamp.

-I write for a living, and when I'm not working on the stuff I get paid to write about, I write a blog about games called Transparent Seas. I try to post at least one long-form post a month, or more if I have more free time.

Feedback is appreciated on either (or both) of the above shits that I am plugging.

Niyeaux, I've now started reading your blog. It's ace!

TP2k1, sweet! I still haven't finished reading that. I'll nab the new version.

I just dug up an old comic I did for an art zine. Thought I'd lost this one, glad I found it, 'cause I'm proud of it!

tumblr_mhclz7XpWq1rkukg4o1_1280.jpg

You should patch it so that you can just skip the bosses, and you're guaranteed another article on RPS with the headline "Holy shit, this guy listened to me and made the game better."

Ok, last post about me, but I just got the sensation of seasickness right now when THIS happened.

Yeah I think you guys are up to speed on how I feel about this game. It was a fun way to start a company and I'm surprised and glad that it's on Steam and it's doing OK, but I made those jokes about 2 years ago, and I've since decided to leave flash games in the dust. I watch every Quick Look and mailbag and I'm a GiantBomb fanatic, so the idea of finally GETTING PROPS as a developer from those guys, identifying as something that's so not my best...

damn-charlie.png

People in the comments already hate indie games, and I'm representing Greenlight, uggghh. I never thought getting to be on GiantBomb would be such a monkey-paw wish. If I get to the end of the week and there is no screenshot of this Flash game I made on the homepage of the site I visit every day- then OK. I'd feel pretty relieved.

Anyway this is kind of a Day-1 prototype of this new thing:

I'll update again only if anything big and significant happens.

OH-- Keep an eye on Penny Arcade Report. Alex does most of our interviews, but this one was about comedy, so I really wanted to do it. QWOP is the greatest comedy game, there's a taster.

Mad props to a homie, no less. Thumbs crossed for a Quick Look.

I "made" a Steam grid icon for Richard Perrin's Metroidvania remake of NES game Alfredo. You know; Richard Perrin, the guy that made Haiku Kairo.

CREATIVITY

FPZWZ4L.jpg

Next, I will take photos of the view from my window, which is of a building site. Woo!

Man I_smell I can totally relate to what you're feelin', but your game is super cool and everybody seems to think so except you!

Also that plane proto looks absolutely rad.

I can't help but feel you're being a tad ungrateful, and unnecessarily negative, I_smell. People like something you've created. It doesn't matter that it's not your best -- people like it! If you feel you can do even better in the future, then excellent! People are more likely to pay attention to your next release because of the popularity of this one.

I'm sure Edmund McMillen isn't super happy with some of his early (notorious) Flash games, but they're a distant memory now he's released Super Meat Boy and Binding of Isaac.

Yeah that guy made a game called Blast Miner that he hates and never talks about.

I'm never worried about what other people think of stuff I make, as much as just what I think of stuff I make. I'll feel a lot better once I go back to being super excited, and my next one'll definately be something I'll wanna show everyone and talk about all day.

It's like you're doing all this awesome work for hours, then you take a break to doodle a funny comic and your mum walks in and says "OH IS THIS YOUR NEW COMPUTER GAME?? LOOKS LIKE FUN!"

So I'm getting that feeling from it, where you rapidly minimize everything and get back to work.