gdf

Plug your shit

I wasn't a fan of the controls. It said I could use the gyro but that never worked for me. It was still good stupid fun though.

Where's the text balloon talking about how pedestrian Peter Jackson's movies are? ;) Very cool, seriously! For some reason I see this as an older Raz, during his post-Psychonauts adventures. Maybe it's the expression on his face, less childlike and more serious business.

So, here's an Interactive Electrodiversion I have made over the past few days to try out a new language and game engine (Lua/LOVE2D/Zoetrope), called "Kata vs. Kata". This video is me versus my wife (not pictured -- the game before this where she obliterated me in two rounds)

It's about katas, and how they perform vs. other katas. Specifically, it's a hotseat two-player fighting game where your inputs are recorded and then simultaneously executed (like, say, Street Fighter crossed with Frozen Synapse o_O) ... um, I don't know the genre name for that.

I find it entertaining, and I hope that you may too! It's free to download here:

http://dl.dropbox.co.../KataVsKata.zip

(I think that's Windows only -- I don't know enough about this framework yet to be sure =P)

Also, hello internet.

Neat idea! Doesn't player two have the advantage, though? They get to see what Player 1 has just done?

We've been playing where neither player watches the other, so the actual battle is a surprise. If one player needs a handicap though, letting them go second and watch and try to devise a counter is another way to use the problem to your advantage. =P When I work on it some more, I think I will add an optional alternation (so P1 goes first one round, and P2 the next).

I am pleased that you find it neat! Thank you, Mr. Peel.

Nice! What did you think of the Love2D framework?

Very positive thoughts! It was smooth and fast and didn't have any necessary cryptic hacks involved. It doesn't offer quite enough in the way of sprites and animations, but that was solved by my serendipitous discovery of Zoetrope one day after I started the project -- which builds on top of LOVE to make it about 90% as convenient as my usual choice of framework (Flixel). I did this game as a test to see if I wanted to give the library a whirl for a bigger game, and I think, barring any terrible surprises, I will.

Oh, neat! I hadn't seen Zoetrope before. That does indeed add all the things that I felt were missing in LOVE!

Inbetween stuff at work this past week I put some time into a tiny animated short called "Do It Again".

It's mainly about exploding rocks.

It's funny how this kind of 1930's Cole Porter-ish song that always end up being played with that sort of static and this muffled quality is now completely linked to Bioshock in my head: while listening, I'm constantly anticipating the ambient sounds of flying turrets, the FX for turrets detection or splicers' barks to cue in.

Weird.

That was pretty great, I particularly liked that one rock that broke and then broke again.

I am thinking of getting people around here to playtest my almost-done game soon if they want. Anyone interested?