gdf

Plug your shit

Mixnmojo has a podcast? Who does it? What do they talk about (given that the current state of adventure gaming is probably a limited topic)? Is it good?

It's hosted by Gabez from Mixnmojo. It's a short, amusing podcast. Basically a round-up of that week's news, with a little extra for that week.

(I'm not really mean to Kingz in the podcast.)

I am glad you haven't been obsessing about this outside of this forum because that wouldn't be a worthwhile passtime. It is barely not even worthwhile here.

:manny:

There is a suite of Photoshop fractal tools that do wonders with enlargement. I have access to these at work. They do wonders on line art (I can try them out on the face textures and such), but they can totally be used on the background art as well to get it up to the aspirational model res, though those may need a little bit of cleanup. Can you give me some raw model textures and backgrounds to give it a whirl?

There is a suite of Photoshop fractal tools that do wonders with enlargement. I have access to these at work. They do wonders on line art (I can try them out on the face textures and such), but they can totally be used on the background art as well to get it up to the aspirational model res, though those may need a little bit of cleanup. Can you give me some raw model textures and backgrounds to give it a whirl?

Hot damn! Yes, indeed! Thanks for the help, KJ! :tup:

Offhand, I always felt like to make a Grim Fandango 3D revampe worthwhile, the backgrounds would need to be made realtime and sometimes move slightly with the camera (still fixed). I think that'd be neat.

I really doubt the original model files for the backgrounds are still around and available.

Offhand, I always felt like to make a Grim Fandango 3D revampe worthwhile, the backgrounds would need to be made realtime and sometimes move slightly with the camera (still fixed). I think that'd be neat.

I really doubt the original model files for the backgrounds are still around and available.

Yeah, that would be pretty cool. It would be awesome if the original backgrounds/models were around, but I bet they're not even in the vaults... shame.

I previously started a let's play of Minecraft on my YouTube channel, but I decided that it just wasn't good enough to watch and that everybody had already done one.

So roll around 1.8 and I decided it was a good enough time to try again, only this time, I wondered what I could do to make mine different from everybody else's, and then I remembered how much I loved hearing of the Thumbs' anecdotes within video games (many revolving around Far Cry 2) and how much I used to love telling my own stories in Oblivion.

So here is "A World of Blocks" my very own attempt to give Minecraft a logical narrative while also creating an entertaining format that hasn't been seen much for this game.

Or in other words, I wrote up some stuff that happened in Minecraft, took some screenshots and put it on my blog.

You can read it here: A World of Blocks

I've considered doing similar things for roguelikes, like people do for Dwarf Fortress all the time. But it turns out it's harder to write from the perspective of an empty character than I thought it'd be. I still think I could do it, but I really don't have the time. ):

In short: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of such a thing. I'll check it out. U:

I've considered doing similar things for roguelikes, like people do for Dwarf Fortress all the time. But it turns out it's harder to write from the perspective of an empty character than I thought it'd be. I still think I could do it, but I really don't have the time. ):

In short: I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of such a thing. I'll check it out. U:

It's difficult to talk from the perspective of an empty character unless you basically just play that character, from what little I know about Dwarf Fortress I'm not sure how difficult that'd be, but if you take a little bit of time you can start explaining how processes within a game can be explained in real life.

For instance, everybody nowadays knows that a block of cobblestone with some black speckles is coal, an empty character however, wouldn't have that explicit knowledge, to get around this, I simply stated that I took the ore from the rock and threw it to the ground in an attempt to smash it, from this I noticed several sparks. I then attached the coal to a stick (so as to give me a chance to not burn my hand should my suspicions prove true) and dragged it against a wall, to which it lit. This proved that the item was coal.

It's actually a process you take for granted as an ordinary gamer, chopping down a tree is difficult when you're using your bare hands, and have you ever wondered how, when all you've really done is stuck four blocks together, suddenly your "workbench" can produce a multitude of tools with nothing but your bare hands?

To me it kinda feels like DM'ing, but backwards.

Yeah it is a weird thing. I only ever tried it once, using Spelunky. The result is actually still on the internet, but I won't link it because it's embarrassingly terrible. :3

I think if I tried it again I could do it in a way that is actually fun to read. Like I said, though. No time. Ahh.

Yeah it is a weird thing. I only ever tried it once, using Spelunky. The result is actually still on the internet, but I won't link it because it's embarrassingly terrible. :3

I think if I tried it again I could do it in a way that is actually fun to read. Like I said, though. No time. Ahh.

That's a shame, I'd like to see some other people's results from doing it, and considering I don't know much about roguelikes it would me cool to see it from a fellow thumb.

It really is quite awful, the one I already did. If I ever try it again I'll be sure to share it with the class. Hah.

http://cyder.org/gametwin/ Not really my shit that I'm plugging, but a friend of mine quickly constructed this yesterday. Some feedback and trying it out would be greatly appreciated. :D Basically it checks 2 or more SteamID's for games they have in common.

It's still being worked on. In a bit you'll be able to filter by game type (singleplayer, multiplayer or MMO) and genre too. :tup:

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

gamestop-preorder-650x185.gif

Last week I wrote about how GameStop is lying to everyone on their wish lists; every game is listed as a "hot item" with low quantities:

new-copies.jpg

See what other games are also considered "hot": HOT NEWS ITEM! GameStop's Wish List lies

Today I'm trying to help them change their ways, and detailed some things they can do to be more open and honest, such as adding quotation marks:

deals650.jpg

...and adding asterisks:

trade-in.gif

Read my full article here to see more:

Cracked Rabbit Gaming: How to Fix GameStop.com

HEY GOOD JOB ON THAT ARTICLE. THAT IS WHAT THIS POST HAS ALWAYS SAID. :tup:

Edited by PiratePooAndHisBattleship

There are some really neat ones in there. :tup: You need to work more on your composition, tho. And figure out what it is you want to shoot.

Take a look at the works of some masters and try to figure out what makes them great. Henri Cartier-Bresson has some of the most impressive compositions of any visual medium. Diane Arbus has some really amazing subject matter photographed starkly. W. Eugene Smith did wonders for photojournalism. Robert Mapplethorpe shot some amazing(ly NSFW) stuff that takes the depiction of the human form into a new milieu as far as the history of art is concerned. Sally Mann has been taking pictures of the wilderness outside her house and her kids, you'd think these are somewhat mundane topics, but her work is super powerful. She shoots everything on home-made glass plate negatives and it looks amazing.

So, you know, immerse yourself in the work of the masters who appeal to you. Steal all that you can from them and build up on that.

Have a few silly, little games in that IGF Indie Pirate Kart that's been making the rounds: http://www.piratekart.com/

Got an RPS item with a write-up to follow!

Are these all KnP, then? In which case, presumably I won't be able to run most of them in 64bit Windows?

Got an RPS item with a write-up to follow!

Are these all KnP, then? In which case, presumably I won't be able to run most of them in 64bit Windows?

That Pirate Kart is sweet!

I played two of Noyb's games on 64-bit Windows 7. No problems.

Totally looking forward to the followup on RPS!

There's a large mix of engines and tech involved: Unity, Allegro, KNP and other Klik products, Game Maker, Construct, Flash, Ren'Py, AGS, an even some Inform z-code text adventures.

There was a push from the organizers to port the KNP games to either flash or the 64-bit compatible MMF format. Not sure if all of the games did this, but all of mine at least are runnable in 64-bit windows, and all but one are compatible with Macs.