gdf

Plug your shit

Hey that looks great! Is it a beat 'em up or a multiplayer platformer? Both? I should probably check out your game the fateful day I am able to buy a 360.

Thanks guys!

Synth, it's a multiplayer platformer. The aim is very simple; jump on the other Sumo's heads. There are a variety of pickups to aid offense and defense and every now and again the Sumo's can unleash a more powerful airborne attack too.

One of these days I'll finish the trailer I'm putting together so you can get a better idea of it in action.

Good news: I have exactly 80 Microbucks to spare.

Bad news: XBLINGS are not available in my region.

Hey Thumbs, me and a few friends have been working on a little XBLIG title for a while now. It finally passed review the other day so I thought I'd plug it a bit here.

marketplace link

Downloading it now, will try and write a review for it in the next couple of weeks when I do a round up of XBLIG games for AR.

One of these days I'll finish the trailer I'm putting together so you can get a better idea of it in action.

Yeah I only found that moonwalk video and that's why I was very confused.

Not really my shit to plug, but I just think it's badass.

So in Norway, the main TV/radio broadcaster is funded by license fees, instead of ads. It can be annoying to get a straight-up bill twice a year, but they make up for it by doing cool shit like streaming everything, putting their programs on bittorrent, and now this.

This is a full five-day uninterrupted broadcast of the coastal express going from the west to the far north of Norway. But if you don't live in Norway, you can simple stream it, from a site with an interactive map.

Or! you can download it later, via Bittorrent, in 1080 HD, and do whatever you want with it, since it's Creative Commons licensed. In fact to encourage this, they're having a contest to see who can make the coolest thing with the 8000+ minutes of raw footage.

What fascinates me so much about this is the guts of it all. It is so, so different from the sitcom/reality-show, lowest common denominator style of "hey, a lot of people say they like this, so lets make more of this, so we sell more ads".

I'm rambling at this point, but if this at all intrigues you, definitely read up on the details and reasoning here.

Yeah, thanks for posting that Hermie! I was planning a trip to the fjords of Norway this year but have had to postpone it to next year. Now I can watch a bit of what I'm missing! I can't wait to go for real.

That's incredible, Hermie. Really happy to see this going on when two prominent UK broadcasters who were doing progressive stuff (BBC and Channel 4) have both cut their funding for more interesting projects and retrenched in more traditional TV production.

I love how unabashed they are about it all. The section headers are all kind of proud but self aware too.

Thanks guys!

Synth, it's a multiplayer platformer. The aim is very simple; jump on the other Sumo's heads. There are a variety of pickups to aid offense and defense and every now and again the Sumo's can unleash a more powerful airborne attack too.

Got a chance to play the game now, it is pretty solid. We played it in the local bar that I can hook my X360 up to a 40inch screen. After a few beers everyone was laughing and trying to string kills together. The power ups could probably do with a bit more explanation as they aren't immediately obvious (also the spike hat is evil). My only complaint is that the special adrenaline move, isn't particularly special and no one managed to get a kill with it. How is that supposed to work?

Anyway was really fun and the art style was very nice too.

Today, inspired by this, I made a third person camera rig out of PVC pipe and duct tape:

-yCgZ7EB80k

63wSisnONk8

It wobbles a lot but recovers fast. At some point, I might try it on mountain bike trails.

I actually think the wobble is a little weirdly endearing. I don't know if this is like hindsight bias or something, but I feel like at least one game has tried to simulate a similar effect of camera wobbling to keep pace with the player's movements. I'd love to see you do stuff with that camera mounted and have a 3rd person superimposed HUD that reflects the changes (like jumping up in the air alters a HUD element that measures altitude).

I think because the camera has a very solid mount, and the wobble is along the length of the entire pipe, it's not too bad. I'll probably try it with a t-piece where the paracord currently joins the harness, and a longer section of pipe forming a third support.

I'd love to see you do stuff with that camera mounted and have a 3rd person superimposed HUD that reflects the changes (like jumping up in the air alters a HUD element that measures altitude).

Oooh, yes. I'm thinking about all sorts of stuff I could do with this. One would be a very silly project with a camera that can transmit, a wireless controller, and a headband something like the belt in this article.

That's great! My immediate thought was to get some kind of VR goggles and hook the feed up, to see if you could actually navigate while watching yourself in third person.

I think because the camera has a very solid mount, and the wobble is along the length of the entire pipe, it's not too bad. I'll probably try it with a t-piece where the paracord currently joins the harness, and a longer section of pipe forming a third support.

Oooh, yes. I'm thinking about all sorts of stuff I could do with this. One would be a very silly project with a camera that can transmit, a wireless controller, and a headband something like the belt in this article.

It's quite similar to some of the stuff that Rooster Teeth did with Immersion, particularly this:

nIRUavithF8

Got a chance to play the game now, it is pretty solid. We played it in the local bar that I can hook my X360 up to a 40inch screen. After a few beers everyone was laughing and trying to string kills together. The power ups could probably do with a bit more explanation as they aren't immediately obvious (also the spike hat is evil). My only complaint is that the special adrenaline move, isn't particularly special and no one managed to get a kill with it. How is that supposed to work?

Anyway was really fun and the art style was very nice too.

Thanks for the comments twmac. Sorry I haven't been around to reply, I'm going through a bit of a rough time at the moment and haven't been able to concentrate on anything but (real non-game) work and family.

The spike hat is pretty evil & I'll take power up explanations into account in the future. There's a hint screen or two in there related to them but I don't think they pop up often enough. The special move has a blast radius which means you can potentially take out multiple people, it's probably most effective in 4 player when the other 3 are all having a little tussle and have forgotten you're above them. It's weighted towards the lower scoring players too as a bit of a chance to catch up (it charges faster the lower ranked you are).

Thanks for sharing the experience, glad you guys had a few laughs!

Two of the things I enjoyed to most about getting my degree:

Mathematical Technology and E-sports Culture: Learning from Korea, is basically a discussion of E-sports in the west and the problems we have compared to South Korea.

Pioneering New Mathematical Structures Over Social Networks in Games, is about the advantages of matchmaking and servers over one another.

Note: I do not completely agree with my solutions, it was a required part of each essay, it was a position I found arguing for easy.

I've got some shit to plug.

I've got a game in the 2011 IntroComp, a text adventure competition where you write just the beginning of a game and people vote on how much they'd like to play more of it.

My game is called Chunky Blues. You can get it as part of the IntroComp zip file and run it with your favorite interpreter, or download it and/or play it in your browser from its website (which I recommend as it's a newer version than what's in the IntroComp zip).

I'm not allowed to discuss the entries in a public forum while voting is going on, so that's about all I can say about it for now, but I'd love to hear what you all think of it.

I'm not allowed to discuss the entries in a public forum while voting is going on, so that's about all I can say about it for now, but I'd love to hear what you all think of it.

Very cool, playing from browser. After a LOT of pondering and chunking, I've just managed to stand up.

(Love the Rebecca Black ref, btw!)

EDIT: I'm stuck, you allowed to give hints?

Can't get past the doorman even though I know my address from my business card. Doesn't give me the option to tell him where I live.

Edited by bbX1138

EDIT: I'm stuck, you allowed to give hints?

Can't get past the doorman even though I know my address from my business card. Doesn't give me the option to tell him where I live.

I think giving hints is OK, but I'll send you a PM just to be on the safe side (discussing it privately is fine).