gdf

Plug your shit

Uploaded a few silly two hour games I made earlier this year for the 573 in 1 Klik and Play Pirate Kart, since Clickteam just released a free version that exports to Newgrounds.

Don't Flub Your Line: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/553759

The Trail: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/553758

The first is a short game about a kid who is nervous about his only line in a school play, while the second is a cheap parody of The Path.

GOD DAMN IT ANGELA!

Also, follow my web log where I try really hard to keep up and post drawings I do. It'll be fun if you be my buddy and yell at me to keep drawing and posting so that I keep drawing and posting for all of our own goods.

mrseanlane.blogspot.com

Since August, I've been hosting a semi-regular podcast about comics, called We Are Words + Pictures. It's an off-shoot of a London-based comics collective that I have had dealings with, geared around highlighting aspects of the community and the culture.

Each episode I have a different guest, usually a comics creator, and we chat and play some killer tunes. The latest episode, however, might be of more interest to Thumbs, as my guest is Antony Johnston, the writer who scripted Dead Space, as well as the spin-off comics and both Extraction and Ignition. He's a cool dude with Things To Say.

So we bring that up. I use the term 'emergent gameplay', but I stopped myself from talking about Far Cry 2.

I've blogged about it over here, but you can go straight to the station's Mixcloud site to stream it here. The games-centric part is from 43 minutes onwards, but the first track he plays is from the Silent Hill soundtrack, so why not listen to all of it?

What do you think, Thumbs?

Oh, that's very nice; are you going to keep expanding the page to the right ?

Yesss!!! Until it becomes too unwieldy whereupon there'll be pagination.

That actually looks quite nice. Not sure I like the way it's written, but damn is it a feast for the eyes.

:shifty:(please elaborate)
Sure. The art style is loosely drawn and kind of whimsical, and the animation from each panel is a flowing, organic thing. To me, that suggests something written equally otherworldy. Instead, it's this:

"You see, they had all these coked-up rats running around the place, freaking everybody out.

They tried all kinds of things to get them to fuck off, but they just kept coming back in ever larger numbers."

There's nothing wrong with that, it just doesn't seem to match the the art style. That's just a personal opinion, though, of course.

There are such things as wrong opinions, tho. Labeling something as an opinion does not mean it is magically immune to criticism. That said, I think yours is a valid one. No need to put that last sentence there and dilute the content of your words.

ANYWAY, the tone is not something I have failed to consider. I may rethink it again, however, at least for the narrator. Regardless, I am trying to avoid a highfalutin fantasy style. I actually wrote the story down in the exact words I used to summarize the story to my wife.

I actually like the contrast between the imagery and the narration.

Fucking hate everything else, though.

Kidding. Excellent work there Kingzjester!

There are such things as wrong opinions, tho. Labeling something as an opinion does not mean it is magically immune to criticism. That said, I think yours is a valid one. No need to put that last sentence there and dilute the content of your words.

ANYWAY, the tone is not something I have failed to consider. I may rethink it again, however, at least for the narrator. Regardless, I am trying to avoid a highfalutin fantasy style. I actually wrote the story down in the exact words I used to summarize the story to my wife.

It's a question of opinion or taste, opinion can be wrong, taste can not.

But that's beside the point, it looks amazing.

No.

Agreed.

You are coming across a bit opinionated, angry and bully-like at the moment Kingzjester. You're clearly a very intelligent, talented guy, you don't need to shout others down quite so much, at least, not fellow Thumbateers.

Awesome drawing skills. Less awesome manners.

I've blogged about it over here, but you can go straight to the station's Mixcloud site to stream it here.

Can I download it?

I'm with Snoogle on this one. I think that individually, I'd really enjoy either just reading the thing or just looking at the art, but together I don't know if they work so well. It feels a bit off. That said, the art is goddamned spectacular and I'm going to keep up with it.

Agreed.

You are coming across a bit opinionated, angry and bully-like at the moment Kingzjester. You're clearly a very intelligent, talented guy, you don't need to shout others down quite so much, at least, not fellow Thumbateers.

Awesome drawing skills. Less awesome manners.

I'd agree with the second part, but on opinions being wrong, I believe that to be true.

I can say that in my opinion iron has a higher atomic number than zinc and that opinion would be wrong.

Taste on the other hand, can not be wrong. I can say that I prefer Cookies & Cream Ice cream to Vanilla Ice cream, you might not agree with that but it is not objectively wrong.

Errr, isn't the wrong opinions just a reference to something on the podcast?

Or is everyone in on the joke and playing along?

If that is the case mmm-hmmmm

I'd agree with the second part, but on opinions being wrong, I believe that to be true.

I can say that in my opinion iron has a higher atomic number than zinc and that opinion would be wrong.

Taste on the other hand, can not be wrong. I can say that I prefer Cookies & Cream Ice cream to Vanilla Ice cream, you might not agree with that but it is not objectively wrong.

But it would still be a valid opinion, just wrong, as odd as it sounds. All opinions are valid, in my book, weather they're wrong or not, or how they reflect on the person. It's a matter of perspective. There's not a universal truth that says "IRON HAS A HIGHER ATOMIC NUMBER THEN ZINC", it's just the general consensus, and is pretty much a fact. But if someone holds the opinion that that assertion is wrong, from their perspective, their opinion is perfectly valid. Nobody is inherently wrong.

Errr, isn't the wrong opinions just a reference to something on the podcast?

Or is everyone in on the joke and playing along?

If that is the case mmm-hmmmm

Now that you point it out, Kingszjester is sounding like the Killzone 2 guy.

"'It's my opinion that the sun isn't hot!' mmm-hmmmmm."

Now that you point it out, Kingszjester is sounding like the Killzone 2 guy.

"'It's my opinion that the sun isn't hot!' mmm-hmmmmm."

Sony defence force, look it up and realise that people are moronic.

An atomic number is a number of protons in an atom. It is a demonstrable fact. It is what makes zinc zinc and iron iron. What purpose could espousing demonstrably wrong facts about the natural world serve? It hampers the transfer of ideas and our understanding of the world if someone can just decide some things are the way they are in their little imagined world and this shouldn't be brought into question because it is their opinion. There is nothing in the definition of opinion that shields it from critique. And people at large and on the internet use it as a kind of magical word that allows them to believe whatever they want, whether their belief is testable or not.

NOW, ALL OF THIS IS COMPLETELY MOOT! :frusty:

You guys are skimming over what I am saying and latching on to a perception of an aggressive tone—which is really not there! Trust me on this one!

My crime is that I started with a rambly tangent that had no direct bearing on the content of Snooglebum's post. I appreciate his critique, I have internalized it, I have thought about what he said at the very beginning of the project—in fact, it was this contrast between a fairy tale and it being written in a kind of anachronistic contemporary fashion that I found really appealing and worth playing with in the confines of Hobo Lobo—and I have considered where I am taking it, anew, again, now that he brought it up. He had a valid observation on his hands, I said as much! How am I being rude here?

What that rambly tangent does have a bearing on is the way he wrapped up what he said. I've been through a couple of hundred art critiques in my day, and all I am saying to Snooglebum here is to not hide his thoughts behind flimsy, guarded language. Of course it is his opinion. It is on art, it is not on testable facts of nature. And yet opinions on art are not the same thing as taste, though. One can critique art on many other levels than simply I LIKE IT or I DON'T LIKE IT. That is what he did after I asked him to elaborate. Tacking on that it is just an opinion made me think of all the dudes in the internet who use that magical opinion word to wall off their thoughts from further critical inquiry (thoughts they're not entirely sure in, or sure they want to witness being critiqued).

Either way, there is no need for it. It makes you seem insecure. This is advice on how to critique things here, not an attack on Snooglebum or the content of his critique.

Fair enough. It's difficult to interpret a post correctly (as we all know) so I believe you when you say you aren't angry :tup:

FWIW I enjoy reading your posts generally, you (along with some others) have an excellent way with words AND I think your drawing/art skills are genuinely amazing.

I just thought you were coming across a bit 'thou shalt not disagree with ME!'

Anyway, let's be friends and I'll man up my sensitivities

(Vigorous handshake ensues)

My crime is that I started with a rambly tangent that had no direct bearing on the content of Snooglebum's post.

I interpreted your response as you intended it, Kingz, although your second crime was to express it rather abruptly, which is perhaps why it's being read as aggressive.

EDIT: I have now read the youtube vid thread and have realised that your uncivil behaviour in there is probably also a contributing factor to your post here getting read as aggressive/rude. Ouch.

I also like the mix of styles in your webcom. Reminds me of Princess Bride/TMNT.

Nevsky, I'll take your silence to mean I can't download your 'cast!

Edited by bbX1138

An atomic number is a number of protons in an atom. It is a demonstrable fact. It is what makes zinc zinc and iron iron. What purpose could espousing demonstrably wrong facts about the natural world serve? It hampers the transfer of ideas and our understanding of the world if someone can just decide some things are the way they are in their little imagined world and this shouldn't be brought into question because it is their opinion. There is nothing in the definition of opinion that shields it from critique. And people at large and on the internet use it as a kind of magical word that allows them to believe whatever they want, whether their belief is testable or not.

NOW, ALL OF THIS IS COMPLETELY MOOT! :frusty:

You guys are skimming over what I am saying and latching on to a perception of an aggressive tone—which is really not there! Trust me on this one!

My crime is that I started with a rambly tangent that had no direct bearing on the content of Snooglebum's post. I appreciate his critique, I have internalized it, I have thought about what he said at the very beginning of the project—in fact, it was this contrast between a fairy tale and it being written in a kind of anachronistic contemporary fashion that I found really appealing and worth playing with in the confines of Hobo Lobo—and I have considered where I am taking it, anew, again, now that he brought it up. He had a valid observation on his hands, I said as much! How am I being rude here?

What that rambly tangent does have a bearing on is the way he wrapped up what he said. I've been through a couple of hundred art critiques in my day, and all I am saying to Snooglebum here is to not hide his thoughts behind flimsy, guarded language. Of course it is his opinion. It is on art, it is not on testable facts of nature. And yet opinions on art are not the same thing as taste, though. One can critique art on many other levels than simply I LIKE IT or I DON'T LIKE IT. That is what he did after I asked him to elaborate. Tacking on that it is just an opinion made me think of all the dudes in the internet who use that magical opinion word to wall off their thoughts from further critical inquiry (thoughts they're not entirely sure in, or sure they want to witness being critiqued).

Either way, there is no need for it. It makes you seem insecure. This is advice on how to critique things here, not an attack on Snooglebum or the content of his critique.

I put in "just my opinion" because it isn't my creative work, and I can't directly influence it. The ultimate artistic freedom ultimately belongs to you. That's what I was trying to indicate, not trying to hide behind it because I thought what I was saying was actually not valid.

And the one thing you weren't being is rude, so now I'm confused.