gdf

Plug your shit

I tried to write a clever introduction, but it just ended up sounding lame. This thread does what it says on the tin. Not literally of course, that would be horrible.

Don't pretend otherwise, everyone likes to post links to their own work in anticipation of adoring comments. I write about games in my spare time; here are some of the better examples.

This thread isn't entirely self-serving... :shifty:. Honestly though, I'd like to see what the rest of you guys do, professionally or otherwise. What I've seen so far of random links in posts or sigs has been cool, so it might be nice to have everything collected in one place and with the potential for explanations or constructive criticism without worrying about derailing some other topic. Who knows, maybe we can all learn something! :woohoo:

Well, I write for a website on the internet called CastMedium, where we do brief summaries/recaps of various podcasts and podblasts. Mostly, we just try to make it a little easier to find new shows that you may like and tune into discussions from shows you don't normally listen to. We also do a weekly podcast ourselves, where we basically just try to hit on the big topics that spread across various other podcasts throughout the week. Also, podcast podcast podcast.

I also have a blog thing where I post various shit, whether it's pictures of the food I cook, reviews of content I consume, or just random thoughts that happen to cross my mind.

PLUG'D.

CastMedium sounds really cool actually, I should check that out when I'm jonesing for some commentary.

I work in the quality assurance department of a company that makes video games. Like most people in my profession, I have unrealized dreams of being more closely linked to the actual development side of things, but lack a lot of skills and motivational drive to do much about it on most days...

If/when I conquer that and a game emerges from my brain hole onto the internets, you can be sure that this forum will hear about it!

Now, back to procrastinating...

Most of the web stuff I do is for LFNetwork, I write for a few LucasArts game fansites and designed some as well and admin at Lucasforums. The main one I maintain these days is starwarsmmo.net (did not design though). Probably my favorite writing samples to show though (even though they are from a while ago now) are for Mojo which some of you are probably more familiar with (latest 3 on that page are mine). I also have my blog in my sig but I very rarely update it anymore, mostly stick to twitter.

I recently started writing for The Gaming Vault. Now, it may be just another Wordpress gaming blog, but it's a nice way to get some writing done, if I want to build on it at a later date. I'm quite proud of my StarCraft II Beta Diary.

I work in the quality assurance department of a company that makes video games. Like most people in my profession, I have unrealized dreams of being more closely linked to the actual development side of things, but lack a lot of skills and motivational drive to do much about it on most days...

Ohh, I (and I bet a lot of other people) would love to hear the horror stories about completely broken games, both known and unknown. :3

Also, your opinion on The Tester TV show? xD

Also, your opinion on The Tester TV show? xD

It's true, the horror stories are pretty neverending...

I have not watched a single episode of The Tester and I find it unlikely that I ever will... It's redongculous. (recockulous? rewangculous?) From what I've seen, the "big brother" shenanigans they're going to put those fools through has little to do with video games, let alone quality assurance.

As with all "reality" shows, the participants self-select for the most overblown, attention-whore-like qualities, (who else would want to be under that social microscope?) and the manufactured "drama" that they edit for/propagate is THE LAST thing you would want in a QA dept...

Seriously, if your reaction to pressure is to cry or act out or something, you won't get far in this industry.

As far as I know, Sony dismantled their first party QA departments here on the peninsula, so I'm not even sure where the winner(s) would be working. Maybe SOE? (Sony Online Entertainment)

Like Penny-Arcade, I don't understand what they're competing for exactly. It's like a contest to become a Starbucks Barista- Pretty sure if you really wanted to do that you could submit a resume and not come off as a jerk or idiot. Entry level positions as prizes... Go figure.

I do some amateur game design in my spare time when I'm motivated. The only games I've made of any (questionable) worth are Macarena of the Missing (a point-and-click adventure game parodying Limbo of the Lost among others) and Edge Tycoon (a "business sim" satirizing the Edge Games scandal.)

Ehh, well I hate plugging, but I feel I should!

I write for an awesome little website called Game Rant. We're pretty new, but a sister site to the quite well-established Screen Rant. That's about it really :) Check it out!

Oh, and in case you want to check out the articles that I personally have written (God knows why you'd want to, but hey, I've been told I can write something decent) then click here. Thanks!

Everyone here probably knows this by now, but I do design for Zombie Cow Studios in my spare time, specifically the two adventure games (with upcoming episodes) and Gibbage.

I've quit the tv/film industry for the time being and am hoping to get a boring but stable job sorted so I can start making short films too.

And don't tell anyone, but:

cakemaniacs.blogspot.com/2007_02_01_archive.html

I program, currently mostly in Scala. I'm one of the lucky(?) people who's job is also his hobby, but most of the projects at work aren't really interesting enough for me to fully realize myself so I do lots of programming on my spare time. Unfortunately I have lots of ideas and I often come up with new ones that make the old ones seem less interesting so I sometimes drop projects before they reach even half of their potential.

Currently working on: http://tinbullet.in, which you may now from the "Should I do it?" thread.

Some side projects I'm also occasionally updating are hosted at GitHub:

http://github.com/Villane/

Plus there's one thing I think may have potential, a "pattern & template system" (Eclipse plugin) that lets you describe Java/Scala code patterns, detect those patterns in existing code, and generate new pattern instances from templates that go with the pattern. More, it adds new refactoring options and could be a generic replacement for framework-specific Eclipse plug-ins (such as Spring IDE). Coupled with an online pattern & template repository, it could be awesome. But I want to focus on tinbullet.in for now.

[edit] I'm also making a rather simple game:

but it's on hold currently. Currently planning on getting a web-based (Java applet) demo out when I get time, but it would be interesting to port the game for the iPad, since I think it would work really well there. However, since I don't even have a Mac, it would be kind of expensive project to get a Mac, iPad and the developer license, and learn iPhone OS development, just for this. Edited by Erkki

I make a sword and sorcery comic with stuff like nuns practicing super science, divine canines going on romantic pilgrimages, ninjas being violent to children, and a barbarian learning the true meaning of Christmas. It's called 70-Seas.

When I'm not doing that I make assorted pretty pictures, and I pull art duty for a couple of indie games, although none of that is ready to show yet.

I'm a writer, mostly spewing words about films, comics, video games and so on. I've had work at a couple of cool places in the past, like Den of Geek, Film4.com and, for one brief shining moment, Gamasutra. I've got a blog with all of my writing here.

Recently, due in no small part to the influence of This American Life, A Life Well Wasted, and the BBC World Service's weekly documentaries, I've started to branch out into audio work. My first attempt was a prototype podcast from the UK Web and Mini Comix Thing. The sound is mostly terrible, and it's just me talking with some comic-y people, but I'm quite happy with how the battered, borrowed AKG vocal mic held up for the interviews.

I have more ambitious ideas, both text and audio, for the future. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity and platform to flesh them out, so we'll see.

I started my internet web-making journeys a long time ago, and since 1998-ish I've been making websites and writing for websites ever since. I'll only go through my gaming related ones.

Of noteworthiness is the extremely outdated 2005 project "The Gamer's Journal" where I wrote about and researched a lot of games - lots of people still go to it so I guess there is some useful resources somewhere in there. Related to that is my random gameplay videos on YouTube and Xfire profile.

Of more recent fame is the "Half-Life Library" a wiki-project dedicated to archiving and preserving third-party (and first-party) content (and the information associated with them) from the Valve universe of games, but more about Half-Life at it's roots. Kind of related to that is a mini site I created to showcase some of my plugins/mods for Half-Life Deathmatch.

Most recently I have created a persistent community based item collecting and flash gaming website called "Kokaro".

I have another one in the works related to game preservation (not Half-Life specific), but I can't "bust that bargo" quite yet.

TL;DR

Groucho used to write abstract poems on account of: he's weird.

By the way, if you like experimental-type fiction and poetry, elimae is probably the best electronic lit journal around.

Ughh, every time I see this thread title I think horrible things.

I'm not sure what you're on about. I mean, this topic's just about smothering your fresh hot scoops in other users' faces. It's delectable, it's sinful. GOG.com PC DL ;)

I'm not sure what you're on about. I mean, this topic's just about smothering your fresh hot scoops in other users' faces. It's delectable, it's sinful. GOG.com PC DL ;)

Oh god.

We just had Shawn Andrich of Gamers With Jobs on my podcast, where we talked about the fate of 4 Guys 1UP, Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, and Google TV. It was actually a really great episode both if you're a fan of GWJ and want a little bit of the story behind it, as well as if you're hungry for some Red Dead discussion (we went on for 20 minutes, easily).

http://www.castmedium.com/2010/05/25/castmedium-podcast-037-05-25-10/

Edited by JonCole

I guess this could go here... I'm looking for people with an iPhone/iTouch who want to help me test my Video game. It's a Video game that we made in recent times and we would like to see if it is any fun! So, if you're interested, just PM me your name, email and UDID. We will playtest and we will laugh and laugh and laugh AND YOU WILL PROVIDE USEFUL FEEDBACK THAT WE CAN USE TO IMPROVE THE QUALITY OF OUR VIDEOGAMS.

We "made" a website on the cheap recently. It's: http://www.leveld-games.com/ There is nothing there yet, though...

Is a phone running OS4 beta of any use? This is just a general question, and does not refer to any specific phone or persons, living or dead.

Any iPhone/iTouch running any OS. However, if any of you still have a device with Apple OS 2.1.whatever the please mention that. We'll need to make a special build for that one.

Actually, just mention what device you have and what OS you're running on it with the rest of the information I asked for. That would be handy.

Come on guys! Don't be shy! He doesn't sell your udid to the Nigerians or anything* We shall help him and feedback to him and we shall all rejoice in our selflessness! (and we get a free game) :grin::mock::grin:

*It's actually the Chinese :tup:

EDIT: He does have mine, I trust him.

I just sent him all my information. I hope he's not a violent offender, HAHA!