Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 4: Super Expert Pro

Shatter's a great game, but whoever told you that it was some sort of rhythm/music puzzle game is crazy. It has great music in it, but is otherwise just a current-gen re-imagining of Breakout/Arkanoid.

Thats fucking epic Hermie. ONly thing that could make it better is instead of rebel soldiers, make it little pictures of Miyamoto/peter moore/reggie or something running away from the Sony Big Dogs lol.

Hermie that might be my favorite image you've done so far. God damn epic.

It looks cool, but I don't get the joke. What am I missing?

If someone were to implement, say, a Wache on a black hoodie, it would be insta-buy time! Please, make it so!

The podcast was amazing, 10/10. I just have so much fun with these things, non-sexually.

BTW. I never figured out why 8 slot bag is funny. Does anyone know?

Did someone answer this already? If so, sorry. I missed the post. If not, here's an educated guess:

I asked Dr. Strangepork and he says it's a reference to how many items you can hold in your pack. His example was WoW, where his bag is referred to as an "8 slot bag".

Tah-dah. Maybe that's correct.

I really love that Wache shirt. Agh. I think I need to own one.

Edited by Fuzzy Lobster

On a similar note, is there some crazy backstory for Wache that I just don't know about? I understand the joke, but I just don't seem to find it as funny as everyone else. Halp. :violin:

Wache was a relic from a more pretentious/wacky Thumbs, which poked fun at the ubiquitous use of Che Guevara as a popcultural icon. There's not much interpretation beyond that, it's just a funny picture that came to be the official Thumbs icon for the first few years, I guess?

On that note, I reiterate that there MUST BE more Idle Thumbs hoodies. Wache I would buy, as I would other cool designs. Maybe it's time for a new one with a wizard?

Wache was a relic from a more pretentious/wacky Thumbs, which poked fun at the ubiquitous use of Che Guevara as a popcultural icon. There's not much interpretation beyond that, it's just a funny picture that came to be the official Thumbs icon for the first few years, I guess?

On that note, I reiterate that there MUST BE more Idle Thumbs hoodies. Wache I would buy, as I would other cool designs. Maybe it's time for a new one with a wizard?

Ah, gotcha. Also, definitely agree on the hoodie note... maybe a huge truck with its front end smashed into the ground, possibly with some human legs poking out of the crater? Caption, "In a truck, flying off a ridge!"

By "official Thumbs icon," you surely mean "unofficial Thumbs icon," given that we actually have a logo...?

We made that WaChe shirt when "Nintendo Revolution" was a thing people were actually excited about. Then GameSkins (now Penny Arcade store) made their own version of that same pun (Che repanited as Miyamoto, with his hat repainted to have a Mario "M"), and people actually bought that one. I don't think it was ever intended to become an icon for Idle Thumbs (though it became that for some I guess), but we thought it was funny at the time.

Just 'SPACE ASSHOLE' would more than suffice :tup:

quoted for truth

Yeah, as Jake said, WaChe was from before the announcement of the Wii name. Everyone was talking all the time about the "Nintendo Revolution" and when the old thumb wrote an article on it, that was the image that accompanied it on the main page. It was just a sweet visual pun that stopped making sense when Nintendo actually named their console. This was why I wore it to the Wii launch. Seemed like that would be one of the last times people would actually get what the hell it was making fun of.

Just 'SPACE ASSHOLE' would more than suffice :tup:

Well, I was hoping for some sort of public civility... I'd rather not walk by some kid and have them read "space asshole" off to their parents quizzically. That's an easy way to get your ass kicked around these parts.

That doesn't seem like the sort of thing a space asshole would concern himself with.

I suppose that if I wanted to fly off a ridge, that would be the hoodie for me.

I like thinking about how bewildering that shirt would be to any normal person. It says "Space Asshole" and then has a picture of a pick-up truck that doesn't really look like it has anything to do with space. And they might not even realize that space meant "outer-space." lolololol

I would definitely buy a t-shirt with a truck flying off a ridge that said "Space asshole". I would buy it in pink and I would wear it.

I like thinking about how bewildering that shirt would be to any normal person. It says "Space Asshole" and then has a picture of a pick-up truck that doesn't really look like it has anything to do with space. And they might not even realize that space meant "outer-space." lolololol

Best

I find the best merc shirts are the ones that contain a good visual joke, regardless of origin, but still references where it is from.

Like the WaChe shirt, it works for people who know who Che is, and why it's funny to deface him. It works on an additional level for people who know who Wario is. Then for yet another group of people who make the connection to the Revolution, and finally as an identifier of a Thumbs fan. The Space Asshole shirt would only work on the very last level, maybe second to last if it includes something identifiable from the game, like the main character.

Sidenote: The best line from Space Asshole has to be "Minding my own business, mining my own ore" :3