Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 4: Super Expert Pro

Recently, my older sister passed away. I have mostly avoided thinking about it since finding out, but the grief has hit me very hard after stumbling onto an article about it today (I was just trying to confirm my mom's address with a google search :sad:). Seeing the big smiley photo really got to me and I have not been feeling so great for the last 4 or 5 hours.

Talking to my younger sister about how sad I was feeling and how hard it was to think about anything else, she gave me the advice to just let it take over for a while and eventually try and distract myself with a funny movie. Unable to come up with any movie ideas, I decided to check idlethumbs.net. And what do you know, a new cast!

Thanks guys!

fake edit: Sorry to lay my trip on a forum I barely frequent...I really just came to say 'Thanks guys!' and got a bit carried away.

Condolences, sir. If you need any additional tomfoolery you can find a good amount of it on the forums here and in online games among thumbs.

I'm only 20 min in, but I'm somewhat stunned as to how hyper Jake is, hasn't been like that in a while; hyper-Jake is way better. Good cast so far.

What a weird episode this was. I really enjoyed how it was about so many totally random things even when those things had little or nothing to do with video games.

Hey thanks for discussing Wikipedia Jake, they keep deleting my ioquake3 project.

In my (obviously extremely biased in favor of keeping) opinion, they could totally have more articles as long as they don't impact the readability of other articles.

Also here is a great comparison video about airplane and the movie it is based on:

-BjU-e01zQ4

I lost my shit at the thought of Kutaragi sending out big dogs with turrets to kill off the competition lmao.

I'm only 20 min in, but I'm somewhat stunned as to how hyper Jake is, hasn't been like that in a while; hyper-Jake is way better. Good cast so far.

i hooked my iphone up to wifi for the first time and listened to the podcast in proper ipod (as opposed to quicktime streaming the mp3). I heard the podcast in 2x navigation mode and everyone sounded EXTREMELY enthused about everything.

btw i was using 2x mode to skip remo's Just Cause 2 stuff - although I went back to 1x soon b/c as usual for idle thumbs, the convo expanded beyond "I LIKE THIS GAME" and steve's gta4 interjection started a good thread of discussion.

I played Just Cause 1 a few months ago to get hype for the sequel, but the recent demo turned it into a 'no-buy' for me. In the first game, traversal was handled by grappling vehicles and parasailing behind them. You could extend or retract the line of your grapple and just float really high above the world. It seems like they added a lot of neat stuff for the sequel, but I hated the new method of traversal so much (grapple ground, grapple ground, grapple ground) and was not even allowed to parasail if i wanted to (grappling vehicles seemed to just zip you onto them now).

I was on the metro 2033 fence, but will definitely get it now - at the very least during a sale.

And chris's SC2 stuff sounds like me and SF4; i'd never played a fighting game before it and am now playing at (or at least understanding at) a fairly high level. I think it is just the nature of competitive gaming.

Jake, is that TF2 thing true?

Because whenever I play soldier and there's a set up time, I shoot rockets at my feet until I run out of ammo while a medic heals me. All this time I thought I was being so helpful, but from what Chris was saying, it sounds like all the Medic has to do is run around and buff everyone and achieve the same effect.:frusty:

Because whenever I play soldier and there's a set up time, I shoot rockets at my feet until I run out of ammo while a medic heals me. All this time I thought I was being so helpful, but from what Chris was saying, it sounds like all the Medic has to do is run around and buff everyone and achieve the same effect.:frusty:

Yeah they changed that like a month within release, if not before release.

I totally just bought Plants vs. Zombies for my mom. She's not home yet, but she'll find out soon. Thanks for convincing be to buy the game for her.

Also it's amazing that you're able to take my horribly written e-mail and turn it into something half-way understandable. I'm one of those types of people whose writing makes me look like a kindergartner scrawling on a piece of paper.

Strangely a lot of people still do that, and it was changed pretty early in tf2's life.

That story about the guy's mom was so familiar. If you check my Steam account, the game I've played most is probably Zuma. That's my mom. I tried to get her to play Plants & Zombies but she didn't get into it, even though she's a hobbyist gardener.

That story about the guy's mom was so familiar. If you check my Steam account, the game I've played most is probably Zuma. That's my mom. I tried to get her to play Plants & Zombies but she didn't get into it, even though she's a hobbyist gardener.

Yeah, that was my story on the podcast. I had to help my mom get into Plants vs. Zombies a lot by telling her what to do but after a while she was hooked. And after that I had a Steam rating of 10 for 3 months. ;(

thumbstore.gif

Seriously guys, buy this shirt! :tup:

...so that people at the next thumb meet-up won't assume I made it myself. Get with it, gentlemen.

Ok, I know last episodes' Phaedrus pic raised the bar for me, but I hope this still amuses:

n69ow3.jpg

After showing my girlfriend the Spreadshirt link, she bought me the black Idle Thumbs hoodie for my birthday. I love her so fucking much.