Sign in to follow this  
Sully907

How would you survive the zombie apocalypse?

We've all probably read World War Z, but what would you do if it actually happened, take into account your actual living situation, skillset, etc.

I have a decent set of survival skills, I was raised in the cold and I know how to hunt and fish and such if I had to, but right now I'm living in a 1 story michigan house, do not own any guns, and far away from a defendable position. I have a walmart close to me, but that's not exactly a safe place in an apocalypse unless I want to pull off a mad max situation. So I'd probably be screwed to be honest.

Heh, I've been reading the Zombie Survival Guide recently, but not picked up World War Z yet.

Brighton has a large pier that would make a good defensible position, but since it is so well known it could easily get swamped by survivors.

We're pretty close to the countryside, so I would probably head out to one of the big manner houses. There is Arundel castle nearby and a couple of smaller ruined castles even closer, so I would head to one of them. Maybe Lewes as a first stop, then on to Arundel once the situation is assessed.

But first, I know where there is an army cadet arms depot within the city. I'd pick up some ration packs, some survival gear and some choice defence items from there and train my team in their use. My folks live nearby and they have a sturdy wood axe that could well help us get there and get in.

That first dash would be the most dangerous though. If the streets were no-go, then I guess I'd knock out my stairs and retreat to the attic, as recommended in the guide. Although... I live right next to a hospital... so yeah not a safe area.

Yeah, I've thought about this a bit too much.

Edited by DanJW

I have a few possible plans: if I am in a city or town, I'm heading to a hardware store ala Homebase or B&Q, preferably one with a nursery (plants). With this We (a group) would have adequate supplies to re-enforce the buildings doors, also to build weapons and for food. Failing that being in the country side, where I have spent most of my life, I'd head to a nearby farm, for weaponry as well as being an isolated area.

WWZ was a fantastic, unique zombie book. Did you all know Max Brooks is the son of Mel? I had no idea until his appearance at Wizard World Chicago a few years ago.

I'll probably sadden me to kill my fellow thumbs, especially those with whom I played L4D2, but please, define your zombie apocalypse.

Cause then survival spans from "walking a little faster than usual keeping your eyes open" in the case of slow zombies with no particular abilities to "being able to fend off a giant mutant with your teeth and bare hands along with having an organism resistant to any disease spread by breath / mosquitoes / physical contact"

I think we are talking about a Classic Romeroan case of ghoulishness, yes? That seems to be the default.

The Max Brooks books define that type around a virus, 'Solanum'. I had no idea his was son of Mel Brooks; that is doubly awesome!

I think its the slow shambling zombie, but one that doesn't spawn out of any dead tissue. Has to be an infected human.

Dead Rising has taught me that a gumball machine is a fine weapon. Dawn of the Dead has taught me that spam and whiskey will keep you going forever. Shaun of the Dead has taught me that it's really easy to fake being a zombie. And Dead Snow has taught me that you're fucked if the zombies are Nazis.

I haven't seen Retardead yet but I'm sure there are important lessons to be learned from it.

I would play zombie driver for as long as possible.

I wondered about this. I honestly doubt I'd survive long without electricity to be honest. Not really got the survival skills needed :)

However, found this image today (apparently from Game Informer, so Video game references too!), fun to go through, and sooo clichéd of course :)

flowchart.jpg

wal-mart!!!!!!!!

Have to keep in mind about walmart though, is that there is a finite amount of supplies there, and you know that's the first plays the weaponized gangs are going to head, so it comes down to, do you think you can win a gun fight against a gang of thugs?

Yeah, i'm fucked in a Zombie Apocalypse, no buildings near me, half an hour to a city and 2 hours to the sea and my house is terrible in terms of defensibility.

Yeah, i'm fucked in a Zombie Apocalypse, no buildings near me, half an hour to a city and 2 hours to the sea and my house is terrible in terms of defensibility.

According to the Zombie Survival Guide, the more isolated the better. Fewer people = fewer zombies. Cities are deathtraps.

The ideal location is a subsistence-capable farm that is difficult to reach by foot. If you have some warning of what's happening then you can build new fortifications.

I listened to the audio book of Zombie Survival Guide.

Problem is that i'm in a weird area.

Only like 5 minutes away from a suburb with thousands of people but where I am is in some bushland. 40 acres to be exact.

The house is single story, flat roof, no cellar, no attic.

It's in a very small clearing (for fires) and the back of the house is surrounded by a maybe 4 meter high weak metal fence.

Zombies would destroy me as the only weapons we'd have would be knives, chainsaws, axe, sledgehammers etc.

Also, the house has LOTS of windows that the zombies would smash through.

Oh yea bushland is the worst, you wouldn't even be able to farm food even if you could survive.

Being in San Francisco, I'd also be toast pretty quickly- Large population centers are death zones in any really huge emergency, let alone the zombiepocalypse...

Maybe after I'm a zombie I can shuffle my way over to Chris' apartment and groan for "braaaaaainCaaaast".

Unashamedly find the biggest meanest person with the nicest guns, and suck so much cock for protection. Then steal a gun, and die.

Maybe after I'm a zombie I can shuffle my way over to Chris' apartment and groan for "braaaaaainCaaaast".

I think you might be welcomed by a :pwned: