Wesley Thomas

Metro 2033?

My mouse pointer was inching ever so close to the Buy button on Steam for this earlier. Anyone played it yet? If so, how does it run on a modest PC (1.80 Dual Core, 4GB Ram, DX10 graphics with 512 dedicated VRAM).

I still can't play it. Will unlock in 3+ days. The list of locations where it is already available seems rather arbitrary: Spain, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Thailand, Malaysia, Macau, and India, North America.

I do not get this at all.

I just read this in the wiki about the game

There is no on-screen indicator to tell how long the player has until the gas mask's filters begin to fail, so players must set a wrist watch, and continue to check it every time they wish to know how long they have. Due to the HUD-less screen players must use a map whenever they need to check their heading.[/Quote]

Chris is going love this video game!

There is no on-screen indicator to tell how long the player has until the gas mask's filters begin to fail, so players must set a wrist watch, and continue to check it every time they wish to know how long they have. Due to the HUD-less screen players must use a map whenever they need to check their heading.

I regret making this purchase.

There is no on-screen indicator to tell how long the player has until the gas mask's filters begin to fail, so players must set a wrist watch, and continue to check it every time they wish to know how long they have. Due to the HUD-less screen players must use a map whenever they need to check their heading.

Sounds like an awesome game for someone other than me.

Sounds like an awesome game for someone other than me.

That's me.

Dang. Sounds like a rough one. I like baby games.

I, too, like baby games. But I think I'll get it anyway. It looks really cool.

The Giant Bomb quick look makes it seem pretty cool and crazy. Apparently, it has Nazis and Aliens in it.

I hope it's an in-game wristwatch.

You were probably being facetious, but just to clarify: yes, it is in-game.

You were probably being facetious, but just to clarify: yes, it is in-game.

No I wasn't. So, that's absolutely awesome.

So maybe I should buy the game once there's a steam sale

I was looking forward to this game for months, so I was annoyed when the Steam page counted down and then disappeared. I bought a physical copy yesterday and installed it last night. After some trouble getting it to start (it was just a crash about two seconds into the first splash screen but there were numerous potential fixes, it's just about throwing shit at the wall until it sticks) I was ready to go. As you do I was messing around with the graphics settings, delighted with how lovely it looked even in DX9 - the texture filtering is super crisp - and eventually settled on something that gave me a solid framerate, in no way exceeding my new card's capabilities. I don't overclock for now and I didn't keep it at DX10. A nice, moderate setting that still looked great. Excellent, I thought, I'll just deal with these monsters....

BANG.

"This game is so awesome your PC will literally explode" - IGN.com

My PC blew up. I don't know why or which part, there was just a flash and a loud bang somewhere up top near the disc drive. It just exploded and powered down, leaving me with crapped pants and staring at a now-black screen. It wasn't a power issue in the house, my monitor and speakers were still on. What the fuck. What should I do? Does this mean it's totally fucked? I'm too scared to turn it on.

On the upside, I had a dream involving both Boost Bindburn and Video Games at my house directly afterwards.

So, it would be fair to call the game hardcore then?

Sorry to hear that your computer exploded, though.

Too bad I don't like monsters in video games. Metro 2033 seems interesting in many ways and I'd probably love to watch someone else play it.

However, I would actually have preferred players having to use a real watch instead of an in-game one. It would have been nice to hear how Chris, having not saved in ages, would realize how Jake, bored of not playing video games, had been tampering with his watch and that he actually had only 15 seconds or so to take cover and how Nick, afraid that one of them might broke down at critical moment, would keep buying watches until he couldn't pay his rent anymore.

Too bad it wouldn't actually work too well because the players could pause the game at any time. They could easily take that feature away, though.

Edited by Nappi

Sorry to hear it destroyed your computer. It doesn't run acceptably on mine even in 800x600 (and screwed up my desktop icon placement after I switched to that reso).

My PC blew up. I don't know why or which part, there was just a flash and a loud bang somewhere up top near the disc drive. It just exploded and powered down, leaving me with crapped pants and staring at a now-black screen. It wasn't a power issue in the house, my monitor and speakers were still on. What the fuck. What should I do? Does this mean it's totally fucked? I'm too scared to turn it on.

It sounds as if the power supply has blown up. They usually say good bye with a big bang. And they are at the top on the backside, behind the disc drive. If you're lucky, you only need to replace the supply. If not, then... well... I guess you can imagine. :blink:

About the game:

I've read in several reviews and seen it in the Gametrailers review, that the enemy AI tends to be utterly stupid (aiming at you without shooting, taking cover behind the wrong side of a wall, not reacting at all). This sounds like a atmo-killer to me. The reviewers applaude the dense atmosphere unisono. But retarded AI harms something like immersion alot. How bad is it?

Just double clicked Metro 2033 in Steam games list, and Steam froze. It seems this will be a very bumpy ride.

edit: Never mind, there we go.

Holy crap is this a good-looking game! Even from the menu it was like walking around in some very good CGI. The frame rate got a little too low for me, especially during the short outside section, so I chose to lower the resolution rather than the visual quality. It looks like they've used every visual effect they could think of.

I'm starting to get a little tired of these content-heavy intro sequences where you walk around watching hundreds of little animations and hearing everyone trying to set the mood at once. I didn't catch any of it. It seems most games that do this would benefit from spreading the exposition a little more throughout the game. Also, the ammo trading system seems pretty hard-core. I didn't dare trade in any of it before heading out -- hopefully that won't come back and bite me.

I was able to play a little bit despite super low frame rate during fights, and it seems the game is very very linear, with cinematic sequences taking you from one short linear level to the next. I wasn't expecting that, but I guess I should have read more about the game before buying it.

Holy crap is this a good-looking game! Even from the menu it was like walking around in some very good CGI. The frame rate got a little too low for me, especially during the short outside section, so I chose to lower the resolution rather than the visual quality. It looks like they've used every visual effect they could think of.

I'm starting to get a little tired of these content-heavy intro sequences where you walk around watching hundreds of little animations and hearing everyone trying to set the mood at once. I didn't catch any of it. It seems most games that do this would benefit from spreading the exposition a little more throughout the game. Also, the ammo trading system seems pretty hard-core. I didn't dare trade in any of it before heading out -- hopefully that won't come back and bite me.

Are you talking about the metro station? Numerous metro stations are like that, they don't just do it once early on to impress you. Those are some of my favorite parts of the game. I've rarely played a game that captures the warm, buzzing atmosphere of a human settlement as well as this game. It's not exposition, just mood and tone.

Maybe that's not the part you mean though.

I picked this up on release date, it makes an interesting companion to Half Life 2. The game is pretty linear but has the mood nailed.

Also probably one of the best looking games I have played on the X360, maybe even the best looking game I've played on the X360.

Are you talking about the metro station? Numerous metro stations are like that, they don't just do it once early on to impress you. Those are some of my favorite parts of the game. I've rarely played a game that captures the warm, buzzing atmosphere of a human settlement as well as this game. It's not exposition, just mood and tone.

Maybe that's not the part you mean though.

That's fantastic, then. I was afraid they'd done the thing where they shock and awe you with awesomeness right at the start, and then have a markable degradation in quality as you progress. I guess maybe it's an issue with my computer (or ears), but I wasn't able to pick up much of the chatter, as so much of it was playing at the same time. It reminded me of the birthday party in FO3. Also, I guess I used the term exposition incorrectly.

Also, so far the music has been terrific. The guitar music in the menu and the jazz playing on the record player in the other room as you wake up.

Just saw Nick Breckon tweeting how the crowd scenes were awesome. I guess I should look into my sound card settings or something.

Also, just thought of one moment in the first hub where you hear this roar of laughter from a group in the next room. There's no way of entering, or seeing what's going on, and it felt incredibly realistic. I can't remember ever hearing that kind of sound in a game before, probably because you don't see many game characters laughing naturally like that.