Sign in to follow this  
Jake

GDC 2010! The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade 2010: Phaedrus 2010

motherfuckin conf!

The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade 2010: Phaedrus 2010

GDC 2010 ends and we emerge, stumbling through our sleep-deprived, Will Wright-fueled mental haze, to bring you this podcast. We're joined by special guest Sean Vanaman of Telltale Games. 2010.

Things Discussed: Will Wright, Soren Johnson, Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Sid Meier's Civilization V, Sid Meier, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, BioShock 2, Far Cry 2, Video Game Development

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

I bet you'll spit that coffee right out as the gang says some crazy and outrageous stuff!!!!

motherfuckin conf!

The Idle Thumbs Conf Grenade 2010: Phaedrus 2010

GDC 2010 ends and we emerge, stumbling through our sleep-deprived, Will Wright-fueled mental haze, to bring you this podcast. We're joined by special guest Sean Vanaman of Telltale Games. 2010.

Things Discussed: Will Wright, Soren Johnson, Sid Meier's Civilization IV, Sid Meier's Civilization V, Sid Meier, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat, BioShock 2, Far Cry 2, Video Game Development

minipod_itunes.png

minipod_rss.png

Vanaman, get him back sometime. Nice grenade!

I bet you'll spit that coffee right out as the gang says some crazy and outrageous stuff!!!!

yep. tnx for the prediction, toblix. :grin: the first coffee spill was through the nose, at 6:44, when marek bronstring is yelling something like "hi-lo" from the couch... xD

really nice conf grenade!

Haha man I sound really unfriendly.

I'm glad I made things spill from your nose though. :tup: Feels like a small but important contribution.

I want to comment on the bit where you were talking about Soren Johnson's talk about game mechanics and game theme.

There was a bit of discussion on how he said that spore isn't an evolution whereas WoW is, and I would agree that that doesn't seem like a correct statement.

But I think Chris said "evolution is based on random chance" which for some reason is the way the word is defined by most people in general, but is actually a pretty narrow synopsis of what evolution can refer to. In fact most definitions of the word refer to some outside influence on the subject.

I didn't hear the context in which the speaker was actually speaking, but the word evolution is really quite broad, and he could have been perfectly accurate in saying WoW characters 'evolve' or go through an evolution or whatever.

The actual definition of "Evolution" is:

1.any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.

2.a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.

3.Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

4.a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.

To me, the speaker was both right and wrong. I think the WoW game mechanics could be considered 'evolutionary', but in the same way that Spore's are. I'm not sure what the distinction between the two games is, that he was trying to make.

/debbie downer

I want to comment on the bit where you were talking about Soren Johnson's talk about game mechanics and game theme.

There was a bit of discussion on how he said that spore isn't an evolution whereas WoW is, and I would agree that that doesn't seem like a correct statement.

But I think Chris said "evolution is based on random chance" which for some reason is the way the word is defined by most people in general, but is actually a pretty narrow synopsis of what evolution can refer to. In fact most definitions of the word refer to some outside influence on the subject.

I didn't hear the context in which the speaker was actually speaking, but the word evolution is really quite broad, and he could have been perfectly accurate in saying WoW characters 'evolve' or go through an evolution or whatever.

The actual definition of "Evolution" is:

1.any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.

2.a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.

3.Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.

4.a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.

To me, the speaker was both right and wrong. I think the WoW game mechanics could be considered 'evolutionary', but in the same way that Spore's are. I'm not sure what the distinction between the two games is, that he was trying to make.

/debbie downer

Well, I'm pretty sure most people are aware that the word "evolution" can be used in a much more casual sense, as in, "My understanding of language has evolved." But I think most people, including us in this podcast, also most of the time assume that when someone brings up the concept of "evolution," they are referring to it in a scientific sense.

And I think your second to last paragraph agrees with our sentiment on the podcast already.

Great blast.

Is it just me, or did it sound like Famous felt rather awkward at some times.

The fallout 3 wig part cracked me up. "It keeps my head warm" :)

Downloading now, I hope there's some "BM Bronstring Marek Bronstring" moments.

BM sat on the couch the whole time. Limited participation.

Hedonismbot.gif

Hedonismbot-1.jpg

"Say bye Marek."

Haha man I sound really unfriendly.

I'm glad I made things spill from your nose though. :tup: Feels like a small but important contribution.

hehehe, no, you're not unfriendly, i'm actually glad that happened. cuz it definitely is an important contribution and a nice touch to the whole "idle thumbs" sentiment (hmm...sounds weird but it isn't...lol). and i replayed that "hi-lo" moment at least 10 times because...i don't know, it's just fuckin hilarious to me :tup: so...congratulations! i hope to spill more coffee through my nose at your shenanigans, on your occasional future appearances :)

yeah, to me also, especially a few times when Hot Scoops said it...sounded like he was checking out a girl in a bar...like "Wassup, Famous?" :grin:

I was sad that there was no Idle Thumbs Periodical this year. Kinda forgot about that around when I heard:

"brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains, brains..."

Sweet 'nade

Oh man, I could listen to a whole podcast full of reader's S.T.A.L.K.E.R. stories.

After the first break, I was laughing so hard that was rendered completely unable to breathe for at least thirty seconds. I love Thumbs.

Steve kept lightly dragging his finger down the inside of my arm during the quiet moments. So, being on the Thumbs fulfilled a multitude of fantasies for me.

In all seriousness, I was really stoked to be on the 'cast; so thanks to Chris, Steve and Jake for having me on. They bounce of each other almost perfectly so it's tough coming in as the fourth and as a sleep-deprived schmuck.

I hope you found a modicum of joy in my awkwardness.

Well, I'm pretty sure most people are aware that the word "evolution" can be used in a much more casual sense, as in, "My understanding of language has evolved." But I think most people, including us in this podcast, also most of the time assume that when someone brings up the concept of "evolution," they are referring to it in a scientific sense.

And I think your second to last paragraph agrees with our sentiment on the podcast already.

Yeah, fair enough. It just kind of came across as though Soren's comment about WoW's design being evolutionary was discredited entirely when it seems like it has some merit. I guess if he himself made some distinctions between the two game designs that weren't really there, the tossing aside of his comment was warranted.

Anyway, I've finished listening to the cast, Phaedrus 2010 was the best.

Anecdote theater:

I thoroughly enjoy hearing the Stalker and Fallout stories. I thought I'd share a story, but with the game ARMA II.

I was playing in a large 80+ person multiplayer game on the American side against Russia. I took the role of a sniper - not what I normally do, but wanted to give it a shot. Now, there were two main conflicts going on in two different small towns, and to get back into the action about half of the guys who would respawn would have to travel a pretty good distance, and would generally take a specific route passing through a hamlet sized town (a warehouse, half a dozen houses etc.)

I spent about 20 minutes in real time running from my side into a forest that was elevated on a hill overlooking this hamlet. The Russians didn't anticipate anyone to go that distance by foot. But there I setup, initially on the higher section of the hill. I found a pretty nice suitable spot to snipe guys with my .50 caliber rifle, around 900 meters - close to 1.5 miles - away. I had five clips with 10 bullets each. It took about 5 shots for me to accurately compensate for the gravity over that distance (this was before I knew how to actually use the scope properly), and get close to hitting guys. I think I took down two guys with my first clip.

By this point, the rest of the people on that side would have been warned there is a sniper in the hill, and from the sound delay they would have known it was a very far distance. I decided to move about 300 meters closer, and come a ways down the hill. It was a good move, as about three guys with AK47s started to randomly fire into the hill up behind me. I was now in an insanely good hiding spot under a big spruce tree. At this point, I was taking down guys left and right. Most guys just took their chances and tried to run through the town hoping I'd miss them.

So this went on for about 20 minutes. When they attempted to approach the hill generally they were veering off to my left and they thought I was higher than I was, but it was impossible for them to get close enough to me to know where I was.

Anyway they were getting frustrated, and brought their one APC away from their main conflict to come and deal with me. As it got closer it launched a ton of grenades all over the forest, but again higher than I actually was. Just to piss them off I shot the APC's hull once to let them know I was still alive. I think at this point I only had 3 or 4 bullets left.

They evidently were pissed off - they came flying into the forest full speed smashing down trees, whilst shooting more grenades, and their machine gun at the same time (meaning there was at least three guys in it). They came right up to a specific spot about 100m behind me, stopped, and just start firing everything they had where they thought I was.

This was the golden moment... I had one land mine with me. They were firing and firing, and I quickly hopped up, and sprinted towards them from behind them. I planted the mine about 10 meters behind them and they right shortly after stopped shooting. I thought they spotted me even though they weren't facing me. But no, what actually happened was they had completely run out of bullets. Anyway, I'm sprinting away from them, watching them from over my shoulder, and I couldn't believe my eyes - I stopped and just watched as they slowly started backing up... *BOOOM*...

There's little more satisfying than picturing the nerd-rage that must have ensued from the russian dudes that were in that tank.

I was shortly thereafter kicked, I'm sure because they thought I was cheating.

(Slow day at work = Wall of text)

yeah, to me also, especially a few times when Hot Scoops said it...sounded like he was checking out a girl in a bar...like "Wassup, Famous?" :grin:

that actually was how I meant it. Vanaman is so dreamy.......

Hedonismbot.gif

So marek has a man servant that drips fudge on him when he gets excited. Interesting.

Also, Stalker is far cry 2 2010. I await many episodes of talking about stalker.

Noooo! Stalker, you can't take Far Cry 2's place.

Wait, actually you can. Go ahead.

Since I recently completed it, I've been unable to play any other games (except on iPhone). They just won't compare. I'm waiting for Metro 2033, hoping that might.

Great cast BTW!

THanks for throwing this conf grenade into my foxhole thumbs, made the housework I had to get done today a lot easier.