Sign in to follow this  
juv3nal

Desktop Dungeons

So desktop dungeons is this little indie one screen one level roguelike thing which I find super addicting, but the reason I'm posting about it is that I'm awful at it, anyone got any tips?

I can beat the normal map with the priest if I get one of the useful deity shrines (frankly I don't know what some of them do, but there's a thief one and a fighter one that each give you a permanent reward for just killing stuff. there's also a fighter one that seems to give you a bonus just for your next attack which seems pointless) or if the boss ends up being undead, but that's the only class I can beat it with and despite wasting an hour trying the snake pit, can't get anywhere with that either.

After reading this gamasutra article I decided to check it out... kinda fun. Figuring out how to play it is half the fun (as it is with most games). The game is as much a resource management puzzle as it is a roguelike. Recently the developer posted a wiki which helps take some of the mystery away and offer a few strategies.

Yeah I've gotten a lot further since I originally posted that. Beat the regular dungeon with all original and 1st unlock row classes. But still only have 1 challenge dungeon victory to my name.

I love that it's such a short game to play, win or lose, it's 10-20 mins max.

I've only beaten it once, with the human fighter. Once you have beaten it for the first time a new enemy spawns and enemy health increases by 20%...

Free!

Don't do it guys. this has been boning my life for the last few weeks. Finished Normal on with all the 12 normal characters. 0 ranked. 3 finishes on each of the various other game modes and 0 finsihes with the 2 special characters i've unlocked.

If anyone needs any tips just poke me*. there is also a wiki out if you need to look up what different gods do etc.

*not that i'm any much good

Edited by dibs

A new version has been released with some balancing and different godly implimentation. Its fun! woo.

Don't do it guys. this has been boning my life for the last few weeks. Finished Normal on with all the 12 normal characters. 0 ranked. 3 finishes on each of the various other game modes and 0 finsihes with the 2 special characters i've unlocked.

If anyone needs any tips just poke me*. there is also a wiki out if you need to look up what different gods do etc.

*not that i'm any much good

Hi I just started playing this game yesterday but can't figure out how to save! If you could help me with this that would be great, thank you : )

Hi I just started playing this game yesterday but can't figure out how to save! If you could help me with this that would be great, thank you : )

There isn't really one. You play through your dungeon, die, then it autosaves, its persistent

Oh my friend showed me this about a month ago alongside with 8-bit Killer, Super Crate Box and other cool indie games.

I forgot the name of this, but now I'll get it.

Oooh, I bought that game like 6 months ago and then completely forgot about it. Sweet!

Oooh, I bought that game like 6 months ago and then completely forgot about it. Sweet!

When i saw this bumped I logged in to post exactly the same thing! I used to like it so much back before they started the new version beta. ain't played it since, but i'll totally pick it back up for a gander.

Well, steam keys have been sent out and RPS seemed to like it. I guess that is my evening all sewn up:) WHoop.

I'm super stoked to see this finally out since I know the QCF guys and they're rad.  I wasn't sure if they were going to have to end up going through Greenlight, but I guess since it's an IGF winner it wasn't an issue.

this game officially marks the longest delay (for me, yet) between plunking down for a pre order and actually seeing the final product (edit: just checked...August 2011). I may double dip if it comes to iphone. It's pretty great.

i need to go to bed. it is 2.40 am>< damn you cute little dwarves.

I'll just have to put this in my lengthing list of things I recieved a key for that I forgot about completely. I'll have to give it a try tonight.

This game just received a big update -- 2 new classes, daily challenges, and a number of other tweaks. I recommend the dailies, they're a fun way to try things you normally wouldn't. The downside to the dailies is of course that it might throw anything at you, including things you haven't practiced with at all, but there's always tomorrow.

There are leaderboards now too (for Damage, XP, Piety and Time) but no consensus has been reached about which stats are actually worth ranking competitively, unless the consensus is that none of them is worth it considered in isolation. Fastest time is maybe worth striving for if you decide to race the other people who are racing, but some of the stats make more sense when sorted upside-down -- for example there's something elegantly sparing about beating the level with the lowest Damage Dealt, sort of a pseudo-nonlethal run. :P And I find it's easier to get low Damage if you play slowly and make every click count. Piety varies wildly depending on play style and altar choices so I generally only glance at that, and XP is maybe interesting as a comparison between people with similar completion times because it shows you who managed to get more bonus XP out of their run or kill more things in the time allotted. But I mainly find the "leaderboards" informative as a snapshot of different approaches rather than a "best to worst" thing. For example I have discovered that I generally take my sweet time and squeeze every possibly resource out of a dungeon (but I can overcome my natural instincts and get a decently fast Time score if goaded into it =P). Left to my own devices I also usually end up near the top of the Damage Dealt listings, which either means I'm horribly inefficient, or that I'm more of a regen-fighter than I realized, or that I spend more time mopping up defenseless leftover enemies than does the average player. Which is all interesting information and I'm sure will make me a better person in the game and IRL.

I have also read that their iphone implementation is coming "soon"

I have also read that their iphone implementation is coming "soon"

I saw this! Cannot wait. It's really a perfect game for mobile.