twmac

Deadly Premonition

The ceiling crawler or whatever it is, it's not even a difficult enemy, it just has a ludicrous amount of health.

Brad's hilarious first encounter, or series of encounters with his first one, will always be a fond memory for me.

I don't think a more accessible control scheme would really be fixing the problems that game had. Moreover, I'm not sure fixing the problems that game had would make it a better experience. I mean, people basically love it because it's a b-movie, it's a charming and lovable failure of a game.

I get your point, but honestly the characters, writing and music really sold me on it, the gameplay being bad had nothing really to do with it... also I just watched giant bomb so that's probably why it was a non-issue to me. With better controls, I might play it myself which would make the experience better.

Did Giantbomb's DP Endurance Run explore the city at all?

Like, to me, the most mechanically interesting thing about that game was that it's a huge open-world city with dozens of characters running errands on an actual real-time clock.

Anyways, don't take me to be shitting on Deadly Premonition.

I love that game.

But it's a bad game.

But it's awesome.

But it's pretty bad.

So many great ideas and characters, that great soundtrack, and executed like it was trapped in a late-Dreamcast/early-PS2 time vortex.

Has it really been 7 years since Deadly Premonition came out?

Shit, I don't even know what to think right now.

I actually started playing this for the first time the other night on the PS3, as a kind of teaser for season 3 of Twin Peaks. It turns out that it would be extremely generous to compare this to Twin Peaks.

Some obvious points: it looks shockingly ugly today; the sound design is all over the place, though some of the music is actually rather nice (if wildly incongruous); the shooting is tedious, if not super difficult so far.

The writing is like nothing else I've ever seen in a game. It's like they got Kevin Smith to rewrite a Mel Brooks parody of Twin Peaks, and then removed half the jokes. And some of the environmental design is monumentally weird - it's kind of awful but in a strangely compelling way. Endless hallways and doors that lead nowhere.

I have no idea whether I'll have the patience to persist with this - it's not exactly 'fun' thus far, and the cutscenes seem interminable - but I can see why some find it fascinating.

(Actually the Idle Thumbs podcast was probably the first place I ever heard this game mentioned - wasn't there a 'cast recorded while Steve was playing it in the background?)

I never could get this game to work on PC. I almost bought it for PS3 but then I realized I absolutely dread using my PS3, so I didn't. Guess I'll never play this game. C'est la vie.

One of my hopes is that this game comes to the Backwards Compat list on Xbox One. I would play it all over again.

Everything Marginal mentioned is a legit complaint, it just didn't matter to me.

Also, another thing I have discovered, I like games based on Twin Peaks (Deadly Premonition, Virginia), but I don't like Twin Peaks... Tried watching the show and didn't get far at all.