twmac

Deadly Premonition

What is really odd is that after three weeks of watching this, the game has started to really pull me. Now I keep hoping the GB would do things, get off the beaten path and such. Use a submachine gun and not the goddamn infinite ammo pistol.

Are you watching the Vinny/Jeff ones? They've been doing a bunch of random sidequests and just running around and goofing off. They seem to quite enjoy peeking into people's houses.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

IT WILL EAT YOU EARS

I had to go to Calgary for a marketing competition last week and managed to snag a copy of this for only 20 bones.

I would love to hear the thumbs opinions on this insane mess of a wonderful game.

The only way I can describe it is as a turkey sandwich with jam and cereal on top. Delicious but first impressions make you never want anything to do with it.

I had to go to Calgary for a marketing competition last week and managed to snag a copy of this for only 20 bones.

Well, that's because that is the only price you'll be able to find it at. Yes, $20 is really the MSRP for Deadly Premonition.

Whereabouts? I'd like to pick up a copy, but have been too lazy to go to any actual stores to find one, and the internet has strangely not been kind in this instance.

Was indeed 20$ at local Gamestop, wasn't sure at the time if I could find it used anywhere cheaper (I'm -that- broke/cheap), so didn't pick it up.

Haven't found it cheaper though, so next time... next time..

Whereabouts? I'd like to pick up a copy, but have been too lazy to go to any actual stores to find one, and the internet has strangely not been kind in this instance.

I REALLY dont know Calgary very well. It was at a futureshop on the way into the city coming from the North from Edmonton.

Deerfoot mall sounds right in my mind but could be totally wrong.

Edmonton is always complete garbage for finding games that arent published by Actiblizion and EA, so I am assuming Calgary has the same curse.

I wish you luck.

Damn, I was in Futureshop earlier today picking up a Blu Ray player for my employer (PS: Come to the Plaza! We're now HD-compatible for films that the distributor doesn't want to give us on 35mm!). I totally would have picked it up then.

Damn, I was in Futureshop earlier today picking up a Blu Ray player for my employer (PS: Come to the Plaza! We're now HD-compatible for films that the distributor doesn't want to give us on 35mm!). I totally would have picked it up then.

Alright, so I just checked out your theatres website and promptly nerdgasmed all over my keyboard.

That is quite literally EXACTLY what I want in Edmonton. Some friends and I were looking into starting up a theatre to play older films in, but the overhead is just way too high. How did your boss manage?

If I stumble upon another copy I will keep you posted, shipping cant be TOO expensive to Calgary. Its only a 3 hour drive.

Well, it helps that we're a heritage site. The place is celebrating it's 75th anniversary as a movie theater this year, and the building is even older (our basement still has stalls from when it used to be a stable in the 1920s. We keep our coke bibs on shelves in them). Also, the guy who owns our theater also owns the Princess theater on Whyte (White? Whatever) Avenue in your city, which is where most of his money comes from. Also, his wife is a doctor. He's pretty much keeping us open as an act of philanthropy and because he is an amazingly nice person. He's more or less retired to Edmonton though and is very hands-off, so for the most part my theater is run by this incredibly laid back and amazingly cool guy who does all of our booking and finances and just sends updates to the actual owner of the theater now and then.

We've got arrangements with all of the big festivals in town (Fairy Tales GLBT Film Fest is coming up, and we just finished the Underground Film Fest. We're also a main venue for CIFF, do all the films associated with the Sled Island festival, made a partnership with the Comic Convention starting this year, etc, etc, etc) and several businesses around the city (Burning Moon video does their cult 80s screening the first Thursday of every month, Pages book store does readings with the authors on our stage [got one of those this Sunday], Mountain Equipment Co-op does ski and snowboard film screenings with us, etc). Our normal movie bookings don't do incredibly well, but the fact that we host 2 or 3 special events a week on average keeps us afloat. We don't get box office from those, but the concession is where the money is at anyway. Almost all the money from a ticket goes to the distributor. You really just want people to come in to buy snacks from you.

It really is all about the events. Right now, for example, we're showing the french film A Prophet from last year, which is doing barely enough business to cover people's wages. That said, we ran a mountain climbing film festival on the weekend, and the people who rented the theater did so for what we would normally make in four days of screening that film while we only had to cancel one show to do so. On Saturday morning, someone is going to get married in the theater and I get to run lighting and sound for it. They're paying for the rental and concession for the entire wedding party, and we don't need to cancel a single show. Basically, if you're thinking about getting into this stuff for serious, be prepared to hold a lot of special events and stress out over them constantly. It's how you'll stay afloat as a one-screen art and underground cinema. Our programmer started joking right after CIFF that we should just say we have a year-round film festival here, and he turned out to be making a prophecy. It's stressful, but rewarding.

That was probably way more info than you wanted, but now you know. It's pretty much a freak accident that the Plaza exists in its current form, but damn is it cool that it does.

That is basically what I could see the Princess becoming if he wasnt here to keep a watchful eye. And I would completely welcome it. As it stands the Princess is one of the best theatres I have ever been to; it generally shows amazing movies and the atmosphere cannot be beat.

Watching the endurence run on giant bomb and this game is simply amazing. not amazing enough for me to actually waste my time playing it, just waste my time watching the hilarity.

There's always a new gold nugget of awesomeness per video.

So I decided to subject myself to this game.

It's not horrible. Bad, but not horrible.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend it at all and suggest sticking to watching the GB guys; their commentary makes the game a million times more enjoyable.

Well, Siren takes itself extremely seriously and is an out and out horror game that is pretty linear in execution. Deadly Premonition, definitely doesn't take itself seriously (it) has some horror elements (it fails to take them seriously either) and has an open world environment and quite a lot less polish on the graphics.

So I guess... They are both made by Japanese developers?

Sorry, I don't want the last post to seem defensive just that the two games share very little in common.

I would disagree on that front. I'm not easily shaken, but there are some pretty disturbing things in that game. None of them are the enemies, however, who are hilarious.

It's always depressing when you post in a thread, then realize that that thread has been dead for a while now.

Oh, man, the game just gets better and more absurd towards the end. Atrocious game design decisions, but damn it makes a good Endurance Run.

Oh, man, the game just gets better and more absurd towards the end. Atrocious game design decisions, but damn it makes a good Endurance Run.

You know what? I'm actually liking it... well watching it. Ok its poorly executed as a game, the art is horrid, and the story is basically twin peaks meets Resident Evil meets Japanese weirdness...

All that aside, good for them for doing something different. I mean this is so god damn weird and nonsensical at times I'm really enjoying the narrative and characters. It's dumb, but it's dumb awesome.

The voice acting is actually not that bad on some of the main characters either relative to high budget games either... thats sort of worth noting.

I might give credit to any game that doesn't have you as an army dude, but the game is so far out there I'm not sure if any of this needs to make sense, it seems to(or at least imbues the quality) of having a sense of humor with itself. And unlike say a MGS or something, everything else is at kind of a low level that it doesn't seem out of place.

And really the design of the game isn't terrible. I mean I want a detective game where it's open world, I go around talking to people, theres a "living world" going on in this town, I'm investigating a crazy ass mystery where it's unpredictable(I mean this is so god damn weird, honestly have no idea where it's going) and there are a bunch of mini games to break up the monetary... really it's a great idea, it's just poorly executed and the most obvious problem was budget.

I'll pick up the game if I ever see it, I may not like it as much playing it, but in theory if the all the games features were fun, I'd love the shit out of it even with the crummy art.

I think the voice actors definitely make the best of their dialogue. I doubt they had proper direction, and occasionally the dialogue just breaks down and fails to communicate any meaning. It's pretty difficult to act out something like that...

I might give credit to any game that doesn't have you as an army dude

This, I find it so refreshing when a game decides to just stay within a certain setting, without the chronic need for saving the world. Just like Chris and Nick were saying when they were talking about how Mass Effect would be much more interesting if you just were Space Cop.

While I love the whistle theme (Awesome version Thumbs!) the game itself looks terrible, not even so bad it's good, just bad.

I do like watching the Endurance Run though and VJ are pretty good at it and add some real humor, if you get the time I heartily encourage you to watch the P4 Endurance Run, possibly the best time i've ever spent online.

Getting all nostalgic about it now, i'm even seeing it in slow-motion and in black and white in my head. My life is a movie apparently.

I'm kind of in love with this game, not in spite of, but because of the countless flaws it presents.

The animations in particular, are hysterical- I never get tired of watching York point at himself, and the fact that the guy knows two ways to open doors, (cautiously; as slowly as possible, and practically punching the thing open,) makes me laugh every time.

I'd been watching the VJ Endurance run, and ordered the game myself to see what they were missing. So far, there's a lot of stuff that I would traditionally call 'bad', but everything in the game is presented so hilariously.

is the BR run any good?

If you can get over Brad being spectacularly bad at killing that ceiling crawler lady, then yeah. I was actually yelling at my computer last night "STOP TRYING TO MELEE HER, GODDAMNIT!"

I think the voice actors definitely make the best of their dialogue. I doubt they had proper direction, and occasionally the dialogue just breaks down and fails to communicate any meaning. It's pretty difficult to act out something like that...

This isn't the most appropriate venue for this question, but I must know what your new avatar comes from; it is the best.