Sign in to follow this  
Zukalous

GDC 2010 for thumbs?

I just booked tickets to go to my first GDC.

Are any other Idles out there who want to meetup and talk about Far Cry 2?

I know that Chris and Steve and I will be there, as well as Bronstring "Marek" B.M. Bronstring Marek Bronstring. Maybe others? I don't know if any meet-up is planned, but we will be roaming around attending things, for sure.

I know that Chris and Steve and I will be there, as well as Bronstring "Marek" B.M. Bronstring Marek Bronstring. Maybe others? I don't know if any meet-up is planned, but we will be roaming around attending things, for sure.

This is the third time today I've thought/talked about BM Bronstring. Left, right. More men!

as well as Bronstring "Marek" B.M. Bronstring Marek Bronstring.

Man, that's some nice SEO there...

This is the third time today I've thought/talked about BM Bronstring. Left, right. More men!

I'm scared. :gershman:

But yeah totally, I'm there for most days and might be able to meet up.

I'm scared. :gershman:

But yeah totally, I'm there for most days and might be able to meet up.

You're just so quoteable!

I'll be in SF tomorrow so… what happens ? Some special idle thumb podcast ? Some meeting up ? Some one ? Anyone ?

I wish I could go. Just to gawk at stuff and be nosy, really. All the reasons that no one would want me or other rubberneckers there, of course.

Is it just me or does GDC feel every year more and more like just another gaming show to promote new products?

Has it been always so that big companies come there to unveil and promote new products?

I had this feeling that it used to be more about just game developers talking with each other and having the discussion panels etc.?

Is it just me or does GDC feel every year more and more like just another gaming show to promote new products?

Has it been always so that big companies come there to unveil and promote new products?

I had this feeling that it used to be more about just game developers talking with each other and having the discussion panels etc.?

It's supposed to be. It really annoys me to see those corporate shills trying to sell their product.

Not to mention the gaming press. Gamasutra seems to be the only news source that actually reports about the talks. All those gaming blogs do is "OH MAN, LOOK AT THIS COOL GAME WE SAW" and "Well, there was a bunch of stuff they talked about, but I didn't really understand.... THEY SHOWED THIS COOL GAME THOUGH, CHECK IT OUT". They as well seem to be completely missing the point what GDC is about. It makes me feel bitter. :(

The organisers very intentionally moved away from big platform keynotes this year and are trying to push it back to developers. "Press" passes are also harder to get I think.

Also, of course Gamasutra do the most coverage, since they and GDC are both owned and run by Think Services.

It's supposed to be. It really annoys me to see those corporate shills trying to sell their product.

Though I like you, I think you are missing the point of capitalism… They are, have been and will be selling their products no matter what. At a charity ? They will be. Fighting international poverty ? They will be.

Companies are not humans, they are selling machines, they don't have feelings or whatever… So you invite them because you know they are making games, so you can't really not invite the biggest players of the market, and being here mustn't be a waste of time so they sell their products… It's a counterpart, it's just GDC's work to check that they bring enough content with them to counterbalance their presence.

The organisers very intentionally moved away from big platform keynotes this year and are trying to push it back to developers. "Press" passes are also harder to get I think.

Press passes are a pain in the butt to get I guarantee that to you, but the organizers still do a lot of "sponsored talks", they control the content of the talks pretty closely so they are perfectly aware of what is happening ^.^

Well, on my part, it's been like that… And it's pretty awesome.

Though I like you, I think you are missing the point of capitalism… They are, have been and will be selling their products no matter what. At a charity ? They will be. Fighting international poverty ? They will be.

Companies are not humans, they are selling machines, they don't have feelings or whatever… So you invite them because you know they are making games, so you can't really not invite the biggest players of the market, and being here mustn't be a waste of time so they sell their products… It's a counterpart, it's just GDC's work to check that they bring enough content with them to counterbalance their presence.

You are right. But that doesn't mean that I have to like it. :D

Anyone there who had a chance to play around with the PS Move?

I know it's too early to pass judgment, but it looks sooooo much more of a Wiimote rip-off compared to before this week's announcement... mainly due to the "nunchuk" and the games they showed.

Idle Thumbs Domination!!! I'm watching the awards now and gave out a little woop.

52nw5c.jpg

I bet Chris was on the edge of his seat for the Best Social\Online Game award.

I bet Chris was on the edge of his seat for the Best Social\Online Game award.

I thought I disliked Zynga about as much as possible, what with all the scams, shadiness, and downright deception (look into Zynga + Haiti charity for the latest shitshow), but then that guy came up for the acceptance speech proving me wrong.

That was the guy who came up and said something about telling indie developers to try to be non-indie or something right? I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about.

That was the guy who came up and said something about telling indie developers to try to be non-indie or something right? I wasn't entirely sure what he was talking about.

No basically his speech was "Hey you indie developpers, we have a shitload of money, and we're as close as it gets to indie cause we have small teams and cool working ambiance, come work with us"

We are saddened by the lack of Conf Grenades being cast into our foxholes, but eager to to get some impressions from the conference nonetheless!

We're in crunch mode at work here, so I couldn't sneak into this year's show, despite living a couple of BART stops away from it... grrr...

NEXT YEAR I will be all up in GDC. It will be glorious.

That, and GDC is over. I did not get a chance to see Video game Rodkin himself.

Man, I was only joking, but this page is now result #5 on google for my name.

Man, I was only joking, but this page is now result #5 on google for my name.

Are you saying it should be higher, Marek Bronstring?

(I don't know if this helps)