Wurtsi

Flotilla

Highlight of last night: getting hold of one of the Penguin torpedo ships, as payment for an encounter with (I think) the xenoarchaeologists. :tup:

Facepalm moment: Immediately reversing it into a piece of space junk in its second battle, destroying it instantly. :getmecoat

Oh Gods, my eye! That bitch Goddess, Afrodita, took my one of my eyes!!!!

*No point to this, just amazed I'm finding new stuff in the game.

Picked up the XBLA Indie port!

I was wary of controlling the sensitive camera with a controller, but it actually feels pretty great. You still have to find a lot of weird angles to get a true understanding of the space, but I was pleasantly surprised at how this stands toe-to-toe with the PC demo.

It's also only $5! I have not idea why Flotilla isn't on any of the menus for recent Indie releases or best selling/rated etc. because it's head and shoulders above 99% of the content on the platform. If you have a 360, help five star it in the name of a good developer!

Encountered a pretty big known issue about there being no planets left to explore, but apparently that exists in the current version of the PC edition as well.

Loving the Rastafarian Space Cats!

Also, what does the "hardcore" checkbox do? I have yet to dare... *gulp*

Hardcore does two things: you get a massively longer game than normal, and the enemy ships all get bonuses/upgrades. Sometimes one will have loads of armour bonuses on all sides, meaning you have to sit out of range and wait until you get lucky hits :/

Hardcore does two things: you get a massively longer game than normal, and the enemy ships all get bonuses/upgrades. Sometimes one will have loads of armour bonuses on all sides, meaning you have to sit out of range and wait until you get lucky hits :/

Yeah I started one last week but didn't finish it, I seriously need an option to save for hardcore mode, lol.

I don't want to too my own horn, but I think I may have mastered this game against ai. I'm unbeatable with at least two ships so far. Pretty awesome to see since penguins were kicking my ass left and right before.

There is a possibility that the game became easier in the updates though and I'm not a huge fan of smite, so I'll try not to use it.

i really like that game but i loved the background music the creator of the game is a fantastic creative mind.Apple would be better suited to try to market the free ipad as something that could be used in schools or could be used as a way to revolutionize how we read our news every morning.

Edited by annymack

Thanks, I'll have to try hardcore next... Ooo, co-op hardcore afternoon *drool*

i really like that game but i loved the background music the creator of the game is a fantastic creative mind.

Agreed! If you haven't checked out any of his other games, like GravityBone, go forth... definitely someone to look up to and keep an eye on, that Brendon Chung.

I just showed screenshots and gameplay videos of this game to fellow co-workers, and their response was "wow, this looks boring"

I'm incredibly distressed by the response, especially coming from gamers. I just want to yell out "wtf is wrong with you people??" Gaah

I just showed screenshots and gameplay videos of this game to fellow co-workers, and their response was "wow, this looks boring"

I'm incredibly distressed by the response, especially coming from gamers. I just want to yell out "wtf is wrong with you people??" Gaah

Well what kind of games do they play? If they're more into action games or something...Flotilla isn't for everybody; it's a niche title. I bought it on the 'BLIG because I think it's a cool idea and I wanted to support Blendo, but I still haven't played more than 60 seconds of it because it's not my kind of game. That said, I wouldn't call it boring, because there are a lot of games that I can see have interesting design but just aren't "for me" as they say. I guess the issue with your coworkers isn't that they didn't like the idea of a space-roguelike (if you will) but that they failed to see the blinding charm of the game's mis-en-scene. This all reminds me I really need to go back and finish Gravity Bone.

I know people who'd consider themselves gamers that just tune out if turn-based is involved. Not to cast generalizing aspersions, but I'd imagine that number diminishes for PC gamers compared to primarily console gamers.

Yeah it's definitely the turn-based thing. One of them seem to have problem with stylized graphics. And said that Civilization is stupid as well. I really shouldn't take their opinions seriously. Oh yeah and they make indie games in their spare time (go figure).

Oh yeah and they make indie games in their spare time (go figure).

What kind of games do they make? and aren't they at least impressed by Flotilla on a technical level (being gamemakers themselves)?

let's see... a tower defense game, a brawler, rts, twinstick shooter, etc... not very "artsy" games - not the sort that'd be impressed or inspired by flotilla anyway, i suppose.

What kind of games do they make? and aren't they at least impressed by Flotilla on a technical level (being gamemakers themselves)?

Or an idea level? I mean that universe friggin rocks!

edit: Wait, how did you not finish Gravity Bone? I played the last level a dozen times thinking I did something wrong, lol.

Edited by Murdoc

This all reminds me I really need to go back and finish Gravity Bone.

DO IT NOW. It *really* won't take that long :)

edit: Wait, how did you not finish Gravity Bone? I played the last level a dozen times thinking I did something wrong, lol.

I played the first mission. put it away to do something else and never returned. I really liked what I saw of it though. One of the coolest art styles I've seen in a game. EVER!

I like how the graphical approach makes me feel as if I'm making some sort of time-dilation-technology-assisted tactical decisions through my lead ship's holographic readout of the conflict. Like a submarine, it would be suicide to have DIRECT viewports to the outside for things like maneuvering, not to mention that the actual handling of the attitude and firing controls is DEFINITELY best left up to the computers, with liberal suggestions from a tactically-minded human.

It's something to do with the subtle glow around things I imagine...

You tell those turn-based naysayers that there are positions in actual military conflicts that essentially boil down to making similar life-or-death decisions (within reasonable interpretations of the definition of a "turn" ["Orders, sir?!"])!

Crap, I still need to round up a friend for a hardcore co-op run soon!

I played the first mission. put it away to do something else and never returned. I really liked what I saw of it though. One of the coolest art styles I've seen in a game. EVER!

Dude, the whole game is like fifteen minutes. Just play it.

Sat down and had a session of introducing a buddy of mine to obscure but pretty good games yesterday (Greed Corps, You Will Die, Bit Stream etc) and got him into Flotilla.

Am hoping that he will take the plunge and buy it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-flotilla/17-2444/

I'm going to be a massive nerd and say this was hillarious at how bad they are and how much they didn't understand the combat.

Their first fight that they lost with the three battleships actually can be won; I've done it a couple times.

Then for some reason they find a bug where it stuck one player on the enemy side, so I'm not sure if thats a bug or if it's because the other guy fought him. Its weird. I never played 2 player so it's pretty hilarious to watch.

Edited by Murdoc

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-flotilla/17-2444/

I'm going to be a massive nerd and say this was hillarious at how bad they are and how much they didn't understand the combat.

Their first fight that they lost with the three battleships is can be won, I've done it a couple times.

Then for some reason they find a bug where it stuck one player on the enemy side, so Im not sure if thats a bug or if its because the other guy fought him. Its weird. I never played 2 player so it's pretty hilarious.

That video made me buy it.

Played a few games of this last week when it was on sale on XBLA. Totally sweet game. Can't wait to get a buddy over and try out the co-op.

Devouring this like the maniac for weird stuff I am.

Love the music, the gameplay, the 'story', the atmosphere in general. I wish I'd known about it prior to it's release on Steam, but I'm glad I at least have it now.

Back tomorrow with renditions (in 3/4th time) of my adventures better bits.