Kolzig

The Witness by Jonathan Blow

There is an alternative solution to the gate puzzle on paper somewhere in the underground area. I don't remember where exactly. Possibly beyond the record player area.

Ahhhh that's what that puzzle solution is for! That solves that mystery as well then :tup:

By the way, has anyone followed the hunt for secrets in The Witness that must be taking place in the more obsessive parts of the internet? Has anyone found anything interesting?

I haven't followed any of it, but it seems possible that some combination of solutions for puzzles with multiple entrances/paths/exits (e.g. the anechoic chamber in the village or the four pillars underground) could still unlock something. Plus, the credits video has a lot of stuff that could be "hints" for some of the puzzles.

I think I would prefer there being nothing to discover, with the video being essentially a giant middle finger to the people who are obsessed with finding the answers. It would work well with the theme of searching for knowledge as well.

After taking a break for a couple of weeks, I came back to do the challenge, managed to do it in the final bar. Not watched the result yet saving that for another day.

I only have a couple of puzzles to get now and a load of the e puzzles, but I am at a good place with it. What a game.

Guh, I'm too tired to tackle the challenge. I hope I can pick it up later.

I just finally got around to watching the Giant Bomb video with Johnathan Blow spoiling the witness. He seems like a really awesome and thoughtful guy. Now I want to go back to the Witness and try to 100% it, but I know it would just be an exercise in frustration.

Haha yeah I kinda gave up on the + puzzles. Maybe I'll get back to it when I just wanna relax in a pretty environment, but I feel no inclination to do everything. My time with The Witness was by and large one of the best video gaming experiences I've had. No need to ruin it by being an obsessive completionist!

Regarding the credits

i thought I'd never figure out where they are and looked up the location on YouTube. But going back to the first area I can't actually turn the power lines off/ shut the gate.

Can you only view them at the start of a new game? Now that I say that it kinda makes sense, with the game restarting upon completion. That puzzle would be super obvious with your gained knowledge

Wait what are you talking about? Is there more witness in NG+ to... witness?

There's a secret area that is only accessible at the beginning of the game before you've solved certain puzzles, and so effectively requires you to restart the game to access.

There's a secret area that is only accessible at the beginning of the game before you've solved certain puzzles, and so effectively requires you to restart the game to access.

Actually (endgame secrets spoilers)

There's a way to get there later too. You can find a clue for how to do it once you've accessed the post-mountain area. More explicitly

If you solve the puzzle to open the starting area gate in a specific way, the gate can be turned back on. I forget exactly where the hint is but it shows the gate's grid with triangle pieces inside. Somewhere in the area underground but above the movie theater I think?

You can see a screenshot of that in the GB Witness Spoiler video, not sure where it was actually taken in the game though.

It's

In the underground, just past the Challenge and just before you get back to the theater. There's also an audio log with a clue about going back to the beginning.

Tonight Cory decided to tuck into a bag of Doritos at exactly the same time I was trying to solve a crunching sound based puzzle in the Witness.

Maybe it's just my perception (because I am paying less attention to games press than years ago), but has The Witness failed to provoke similar level of response as Braid did years ago? It seemed like Blow was hoping for more? I guess it's somewhat expected since Braid happened at the start of the indie games movement, but now there are countless of games coming out all the time.

I believe JoBlo said in an interview that The Witness made more money in it's first week than Braid did in it's first year, so even if it doesn't have the staying power that Braid did I think he's probably still happy with it.

Maybe it's just my perception (because I am paying less attention to games press than years ago), but has The Witness failed to provoke similar level of response as Braid did years ago? It seemed like Blow was hoping for more? I guess it's somewhat expected since Braid happened at the start of the indie games movement, but now there are countless of games coming out all the time.

I think it's because there's so much less to discuss, at least at the surface level. You need to invest a stupendous amount of time in this in comparison to Braid to start getting at the same kind of holistic appreciation of the puzzle systems.

I mean this thread is 32 pages long. Or 20ish if you ignore the pre-launch stuff.

I devoured it in a weekend and talked about it for weeks after.

I can think of very few games off the top of my head that people talked about months later at any great depth. Braid isn't one of those, unless you count people coming in late and either being screamed at about how "pretentious" the game is or doing the screaming themselves.