Patters

Just Cause 2

Yeah, from what I can tell all of my issues come from the porting job that was done to the PC. All of this said, the mouse and keyboard controls do their job really well. I'm only having problems because I think this is a game that wants a gamepad. If I had started off with mouse + keyboard, I never would have run into a single issue. And from what I hear, other people are having problems where the game won't display the keyboard controls at all, so there's that too. Looks like the majority of the performance killers relate to sloppy controller implementation. Here's hoping they patch that soon.

My new favorite pastime is flying aircraft over water and jumping out of them, then gliding around with my parachute while I watch the chopper spiral toward the ground and explode. Also, like Far Cry 2...this game has beautiful sunsets!!!

I want to reiterate everything Miffy said, and add this game is a whole lot of fun.

Anyone else having framerate dropping to 30 from 60 at weird times, I'm constantly at 60 when the whole world is exploding and then drop to 30 when nothing is happening.

My new favorite pastime is flying aircraft over water and jumping out of them, then gliding around with my parachute while I watch the chopper spiral toward the ground and explode. Also, like Far Cry 2...this game has beautiful sunsets!!!

This sounds like a wondrous wrinkle on the brow of the face of game. I now want to play Just Cause 2.

OK so I like making things go boom (my new name for Just Cause 2) is utterly brilliant, it satisfies the itch of GTA SA. Also I am apparently awesome at rolling cars into bodies of water.

I love how viable just opening your parachute and pulling yourself along using the scenery is as a mode of travel. I can't wait to get back into that game. Damn.

I'm a half hour away from getting to play more. I have to say... I'm really loving this game. Last night I had about an hour so I grabbed a military helicopter and went hunting. The vertical scale in the game is pretty crazy so it makes hearing far-off explosions from my rockets carpet-bombing military bases 1000% satisfying. Every time another heli came by and tried to ruin my good time, i just targeted it in free-fall, hijacked it, and continued my good times. just cause!

Also I am apparently awesome at rolling cars into bodies of water.

One of my favorite things is doing the crazy stuff that leads to the "stunt driver" points. Have you encountered those yet?

Oh my God! I just used a computer console to overload an huge oil pipeline and blow it up, and Rico said "Try to transport fuel now, you pipeline jerks!" I think that's the most joyously goofy bit of dialogue I've ever heard in a game. It's definitely on par with "master of unlocking."

Oh god, the dialogue is fantastic. I can no longer remember any specific quotes, there's just so many. It's the best action movie that revels in its bullshit. It's the cheesiest names for the most boilerplate characters. It just takes so much joy from realizing that it only needs to be as good as its explosions, and fuck everything else. I love how goddamn ridiculous this game is.

The in game clock says I've played more than 12 hours since Tuesday. Crazy (and pretty irresponsible on my part), but such a great game I can believe it.

have you guys found the snowman yet?

"Hello, Mr. Snowman"

hilarious!

have you guys found the snowman yet?

"Hello, Mr. Snowman"

hilarious!

No! I hope I do soon. when I first saw the snow I was like? What??? then I realized...I'm high up in the mountains, of course there is snow. I like the way that you get the hang of the parachute/grappling hook combo as you go along without any explicit tutorial.

No! I hope I do soon. when I first saw the snow I was like? What??? then I realized...I'm high up in the mountains, of course there is snow. I like the way that you get the hang of the parachute/grappling hook combo as you go along without any explicit tutorial.

I actually really appreciate that as well. With the demo it took me a while to figure out how to hold onto the explosive barrels that shoot up in the air and i'm still not very good at the plane or driving mechanics but i like that there's a bit of learning curve for all the cool things you can do. Makes it feel a bit more earned or exploratory since it never explicitly tells you to start scaling mountains with your parachute or whatever (although the achievement is a nice hint).

I spent way too long holding onto a

ski lift

just because it made me feel good.

The hidden LOST island in this game (travel northwest to the large island and be sure to fly by helicopter or jetliner for best results) is the best easter egg ever.

This game is FUN! I can't tell the last time I had to fly a jet fighter and destroy a satellite going into orbit...

Ok: The few minor gripes: Scaling mountains is slow and tedious, because you're too close to the side of the mountain to use the parachute and once you're already grappled to the side of something, you can't shoot the hook very high at all to the next point, but if you de-grapple yourself you start sliding backwards rapidly and your legs clip halfway into the mountainside.

Number Two: Capturing the military bases starts to feel like a chore, because even though they're structured differently, the process is always exactly the same and it sometimes takes a while of running in circles trying to spot that last thing you need to take care of.

Three: The game could have used a cover mechanic for the frequent skirmish situations. It feels pretty awkward that my first instinct is to take cover but the game doesn't quite accommodate that. I don't think cover-mechanics for third person games that involve shooting are a cliche, it's just a mechanic that's become standard for good reason, like the way Halo does a lot of things that all console FPS have adopted, simply because they make a lot of sense.

All that said, I still love the game. Just wanted to bring a little balance to the discussion so this thread isn't just us shouting nonstop about how awesome it is.

Aside: Does anybody else never have the patience to drive on the roads? I had a mission where I had to hijack a limo and deliver the politician inside to a rebel faction and even that with that car, I tried to drive off cliffs and through the woods. I got stuck and had to reload but that's beside the point :mock:. The cars flip and spin in such a thrilling way as you drive them off a cliff or down a mountain. "Off-Road Vehicular Action" is probably my favorite part of the game. The Handling of the vehicles is really well designed, favoring loose spontaneity over realism and such...oh...except THE FUCKING PLANES. FUCK THE PLANES. that is all.

Now I'm 8h in, I finished a couple of missions after saving Jade Tan, I feel like I can have a more informed opinion rather than the plain fact that it's a helluva fun game.

There are a shitload of bugs, most of them related to the grappling hook/parachute (I'm playing it on PC). I had to restart from checkpoint at least 5 times, not a major issue but still annoying. I also hate how if you want to jump from a ledge to a lower level, sometimes the game will register that jump as being a freefall. And I'll second Groucho on scaling vertical structures, it's a pain in the ass, you have to go in a zig-zag diagonally to be more efficient because the pitch won't go very high if you're looking directly upwards when attached to a wall.

Anyway, I'm still having a blast. It has me completely hooked, I'll tell myself constantly "just one more mission" and then it's 2AM. The parachute+hook combo makes this game incredibly dynamic once you get the hang of it. In the beginning I would always hit down to go upwards, but then I realized that the fastest way to do it is to maintain a constant height and just grapple ahead constantly. Everytime I'm flying around, I'm in awe of the landscape and how good the graphics are in PC... and I don't have everything maxed out because my HD4870 won't handle AA/AF 8x/16x with a decent framerate.

Now I'm deciding if I'm just gonna blast through and finish the main storyline or visit every town and collect as many upgrades as I can... because believe it not, I'm having fun just by doing that.

I'm 11h 30m in, just for the record. I spoke too soon. They do mix it up with the military bases enough to keep things interesting. Which brings me to another complaint. Sometimes when you destroy something (I don't want to give an example because the destructible objects in this game equate to spoilers IMO :grin:) It leaves a heap of rubble on the ground. But then after a couple of seconds, it blinks out and disappears. It's so ridiculous to see something fall apart with elaborate physics only to disappear before your eyes like a downed street-punk in Streets of Rage 2.

All in all, I'm still totally hooked and highly recommend this game if you liked Prototype, Infamous, Red Faction Guerilla...any of those open world games that have you sort of conquering territory piece by piece in an open world environment.

I solved the game tape... 13h30min, 28.89%

I can't see anyone doing 100% in this game, way too many collectibles. It wasn't as fresh in the end, but it's to be expected from this kind of game, there's only so much you can do other than blowing shit up or driving from point A to point B. Still, it was fun through and through, I'd recommend it.

I feel I should mention...I read in (I think, Eurogamer) that the PS3 version allows for video capture! !!

I'm at about 15 hours now. Only halfway through the story missions. It's equally likely when I start this game up that I'll go looking for a place to blow up as it is that I'll actually do a mission. Is it necessary to do all the faction missions to get through the game? I've done a lot of Reaper missions, but only three Ular, for example.

Having a lot of fun so far. Anyone else found the Mile High Club?

Unfortunately, I found a rather egregious programming error (or possibly bug). There's a mission you do for the Ular that has you destroying satellites. There are three of them, two near the base entrance, and one a little farther along. After you destroy the three, it turns out there's a secret fourth satellite that launches, so you have to get a plane and destroy the rocket before it reaches orbit.

The problem is that the developers seemed to have decided that every single player in the world would destroy the satellites in a similar order: the two close ones, then the far one. I destroyed a close one and then the far one, and triggered the fourth satellite launch before I had taken out the first three. Because of that, I couldn't destroy the final satellite in time and failed the mission. Lame.

EDIT: Restarted from a checkpoint, and it put me in the mission with the three satellites down and the fourth launching, so at least I didn't have to do the whole thing over again.

The problem is that the developers seemed to have decided that every single player in the world would destroy the satellites in a similar order: the two close ones, then the far one.

Seems to me like an appropriate assumption.

I also had to restart from checkpoint a couple of times, my flying skills are baaad.

has anyone registered on their site? Shacknews had that story with the global stats (i'm always a sucker) but, you know, hard to check it out at work and whatnot... i'll have to look into it tonight

Only played the demo. But I can only hope that the entire game is about attaching people to things. Because that's all I ever did.