Patters

Just Cause 2

Anyone else looking forward to this? It looks like the game Mercs 2 should have been. There's a demo due out on the 4th.

5kjs-SC70Wg

Edited by Patters

NO! stop!

Too many games to finished.

The first game was simply just fun

That combination of an attempt at an epic storyline of betrayal or whatever, and what looks like a totally wacky sandbox-style game was really jarring. I mean, why are they combining these things? Even serious games like Call of Duty have problems being taken seriously, and now you're supposed to care about your Hawaiian shirt wearing friend betraying you by shooting at your hanglider with a bazooka while riding a motorcycle off a jeep that's jumping over a helicopter crashing into an exploding radar dish?

who cares... you can ride/fly/race around, blow things up, jump from high places, grapling hook the shit out of everything.

I actually have no clue what the first game was about, just that it was surprisingly fun to play

...now you're supposed to care about your Hawaiian shirt wearing friend betraying you by shooting at your hanglider with a bazooka while riding a motorcycle off a jeep that's jumping over a helicopter crashing into an exploding radar dish?

You just made me care about this game. That sounds like the best thing I'd have ever played.

who cares... you can ride/fly/race around, blow things up, jump from high places, grapling hook the shit out of everything.
Yeah, obviously that's the thing they're going for. I just don't understand why they're tacking on the serious tone at the start. To me it seems like they're not 100% sure what kind of game they're making.

Will there be a demo? It sounds like a game that would be fun for a while, but not something I'd bother to finish (unless they manage to make things crazier and crazier as you go along)

Will there be a demo? It sounds like a game that would be fun for a while, but not something I'd bother to finish (unless they manage to make things crazier and crazier as you go along)

Yes, I think I mentioned it, due on the 4th with 35 square miles of the map.

You could say the same for something like Crackdown, one of the few Xbox 360 games I can actually claim to have "finished".

But fancy that--a trailer with a shitty voiceover?! :frusty:

Ignoring superficial crap like that, it does look like it could be a lot of fun. The first game passed me by, but the sequel's been consistently getting encouraging previews. (I'm tapped out for games at the moment though.)

But fancy that--a trailer with a shitty voiceover?! :frusty:

I think they did that on purpose. Just Cause 1 didn't take itself very serious either.

i.e. it's mean to be like an early 90s action movie

You just made me care about this game. That sounds like the best thing I'd have ever played.

It's like Bayonetta meets social issues.

It's been over a year since I've posted on the Idle Forums (not that I was ever active), and while Just Cause 2 isn't the impetuous for my return, it has the potential to be the best in breed of stupidly awesome games worth discussing with strangers, a Crackdown or Earth Defense Force or Red Faction Guerrilla for '10. Or had, anyway -- Crackdown 2 looks like it's going to take home that blue ribbon if the 4 player co-op works at all.

The only experience with the Just Cause franchise I've had is limited to the Playstation 2 version. It's just preposterously glitchy, and in good conscience I cannot recommend choosing it over a PC or Xbox 360 copy. They are surely better games than this PS2 incarnation, but I cannot imagine enjoying Just Cause if the draw distance wasn't so gawdaful. That was half the fun, running into trees and buildings without warning (well, more like 1/90 the fun, if you're drunk at the time).

I hesitate to even try the functioning PC or Xbox360 versions. How can modern convinces like working cameras, double digit frame rates, and reasonable load times fundamentally improve my opinion on a game that lets you deploy a magical disappearing parachute, a grappling hook, and a consistently entertaining disregard for physics to tackle the most boring missions in the history of open world games. Too much polish would lend verisimilitude to the game, and the last thing Just Cause needs is verisimilitude. Yet it looks like this sequel will improve on the first in all the very obvious ways game sequels tend to do, ironing out all the personality and forcing a grittier, more self important storyline. Just Cause was "jua de'vive: the Video game" to me, despite being borderline horrendous on the PS2.

Still: chaos is the dominant economic system in the world of Just Cause 2. That sounds sweet.

I read something on somewhere that said they have dropped over-serious storyline and just admitted its a game about fucking around. Hot scoop.

I read something on somewhere that said they have dropped over-serious storyline and just admitted its a game about fucking around. Hot scoop.

Why change a winning formula.

Or was this scoop about the first game?

oh... that sucks... sort of, I'll wait for a weekend deal in that case

Huh? I like steam DRM (as much I can a form of DRM). Also grappling hooks are fun.

Another lurker breaks... Just wanted to say that if you have crazy jerking problems in the demo that make aiming and driving a bitch you can fix it by setting justcause2.exe's processor affinity to a single core.

As for this game, well it's dumb fun. It has gas cannisters that fly up into the sky like in Duke Nukem 2. I grappled one and it flew me up into the sky and killed me. This was pretty awesome. Then I flew a helicopter and blew up some dudes. Sweet.

Huh? I like steam DRM (as much I can a form of DRM). Also grappling hooks are fun.

That too. And usually there's a 25%-33% reduction steam deal within 1 month.

Looks like it's pretty much everything I want on a sandbox game, but unfortunately my modest Geforce 8600 and Windows XP will force me to sit this one out for now.

among other things i crashed a bi-plane into a water tower, wreaked havoc with a helicopter until i blew up a crane and it threw my helicopter into the ground, and used the flying canister technique to escape a near death situation. i think the only thing i didn't do was an actual mission.