Sign in to follow this  
toblix

Another Mario Thing

Just saw this on Reddit, and thought of the cloud bush thing. I always thought he hit the blocks with his head.

pt4vx.png

I never thought that. I though the box cover was quite clear that he used is hands.

ps, did you notice that in mario the hills have eyes? talking about creepy horror movie references in games.

I disagree with the tone and metaphysics, but I'm always surprised that most people didn't notice these themes:

super-mario-brothers-3-was-a-lie-8612-1252512030-31.jpg

How can this game still blow my mind with these things?!

Because it was amazing and argueably the best mario bros. game?

Just saw this on Reddit, and thought of the cloud bush thing. I always thought he hit the blocks with his head.

pt4vx.png

I always knew this too. One thing though, can we all agree that this image is manipulated? I'm not cheating by looking at reference images, I clearly remember that Mario's hand does not reach out above his hat. His hand has been stretched vertically in this image. Right? The image just looks off.

Also, of note, my sister used to think that the fireballs came out of his nose. Like he was putting his hand up to plug one nostril and shooting a fireball out the other. Try unseeing that next time you play.

I always knew this too. One thing though, can we all agree that this image is manipulated? I'm not cheating by looking at reference images, I clearly remember that Mario's hand does not reach out above his hat. His hand has been stretched vertically in this image. Right? The image just looks off.

If his hand didn't reach above his hat in the first place, no amount of stretching the image would change that. Also:

super_mario_bros_javascript.gifmarioss.jpgSuper-Mario-Bros--The-Lost-Levels-5.jpg

I disagree with the tone and metaphysics, but I'm always surprised that most people didn't notice these themes:

super-mario-brothers-3-was-a-lie-8612-1252512030-31.jpg

Mario 3, World, and Yoshi's Island are all great for reasons like this. Like you, I wouldn't go so far as to say "Mario 3 was just a stage show!" but that there was a specific aesthetic at all besides "cartooney" is so great. Galaxy finally has that back to a certain degree, but I thought it was hugely lacking in the Yoshi spinoff games, and Mario 64, Sunshine, and New SMB. It's nice when it looks like someone was actually trying for something.

Agreed that they seem to trend toward "realistic" interpretations of their earlier designs when given higher fidelity toys to play with... Wasn't there a Yoshi's Island follow-up on the N64 that was supposed to be like a giant pop-up book? I never got around to playing that one...

On the subject of Nintendo being like an amazing secret society of Geniuses with almost Illuminati-level secret crap going on:

You all know the sounds the GameCube made on the boot menu, right?

Someone went and sped that up... A LOT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yERFiXhqX9A

It's the fucking song from the famicom disk drive boot screen WTF MIND BLOWN!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_q_CydI_Jw&feature=related

What really gets me is that they don't really talk about this kind of stuff. Some audio engineer or team had enough unilateral control over something to just DO IT, and they were perfectly content to just smile to themselves about it for years... Unbelievable. What other gems have they slipped by us?!

Those Iwata Asks articles are perhaps our best bet for finding more amazing shite out, need to keep an eye on those.

Xeneth, that's absolutely awesome! I have never heard of that before.

I love that obscure self referential stuff! I can't believe they took the time to do that with just the Gamecube menu, which I always found sort of eerie.

I wasn't kidding at all when I said my MIND EXPLODED. I found out about that through some random Kotaku or DToid link to an article on Nintendo Everything at work and I couldn't TALK for several minutes.

Took a lot cajoling from my coworkers to get in on it, (thank God for working at game companies) I imagine I had some sort of Miyamoto look pasted on my face the whole time:

miyamoto-4.jpg

Just played Mario Galaxy 2, pretty nice new stuff in there but a lot of "more of the same" which's fine by me :)

He's talking about Le Fabuleux Galaxie de Mario Supére, Sequence Deux!

super_mario_flash.jpg

- C'est moi, Mario!

If his hand didn't reach above his hat in the first place, no amount of stretching the image would change that. Also:

super_mario_bros_javascript.gif

Yeah, you're definitely right. I don't understand why that first shot looks so weird to me though. I just played through the game last week. Maybe the still at that moment is drawing my attention to the fact that the hand doing the punching is way bigger than the other.

Here's another song hidden by speed:

Peach's Final Smash in Brawl is a sped up version of the sky world theme in Super Mario Bros. 3

Edited by Chuckpebble

I assume that, as a journalist, OssK got a chance to play a preview build.

True.

The last level of that demo was a nightmare, we were only 3 members (out of a fucklot) to finish it… Come on, try to jump, jiggle your wiimote and dodge things coming at you with a timer running low…

Also… OMG Other M… that game is awesome (for the short amount of it that we played at least) and yet it's a bit too FF13 for me

True.

The last level of that demo was a nightmare, we were only 3 members (out of a fucklot) to finish it… Come on, try to jump, jiggle your wiimote and dodge things coming at you with a timer running low…

Are you talking about the level where doing a spin jump makes the platforms appear/disappear?

Here's another song hidden by speed:

Holy crap a mini mindblow! Thank you! I certainly thought the tune sounded quite "Nintendo-y", but THAT never quite clicked... Also, that video reminds me of getting messed up and playing Melee at Half speed, where everyone has time to dodge and counter everything while tripping out... and then going back to regular and losing our shit after getting used to it, hah!

Metroid: Other M... I posted a couple of thoughts about my aprehension over here.

Are you talking about the level where doing a spin jump makes the platforms appear/disappear?

Nope you have to shake the wiimote to make platforms switch from one to the next while timed and trying to collect every single purple coin.

Metroid: Other M... I posted a couple of thoughts about my aprehension over here.

For now, as far as I could play, it's more of a "Final Fantasy 13-y" take on the Metroïd saga. Here they develop characters, a universe, relation between them (some are really cheesy). So not to spoil anything, the game is really cutscenes heavy and the story is now driving the sing with Samus talking to herself all the time…

This is also charming.

If you want, I can break down some investigative journalism and confirm/deny if that's real