monkeyarmada

Mice for gamers.

G5 user here, with 18grams in the adjustable weight cartridge to boot.

I find the adjustable weight idea quite intriguing, is it that noticeable when you add or remove weight from the mouse? After the initial adjustment period I mean.

Hey, I'm back. I'm using this Logitech Click! Optical Mouse wheel mouse that has a fourth button. Can any of you chaps point me towards a good universal mouse driver that will enable this fourth button?

I have intellipoint, but that software treats it like a 3 button scroll mouse no matter what I try to do with it.

I actually went through the huge headache of installing the logitech drivers.

It took me two days to get it right. I'd finish the install and then the installer would ask for the windows install cd because it couldn't find the mouhid.sys file or something like that.

Turns out the installer was expecting a folder in the file path to be all caps, but got confused when it was all lower case. Got that sorted and pointed it towards the appropriate files then 10 minutes later I uninstalled that garbage. The driver offered VERY limited customization of the fourth button. The only one that was remotely useful was a proprietary task switcher that felt totally out of place.

What drove me nuts, absolutely NUTS, was that the driver completely molested my middle click behavior. On the web I middle click links to open them in a new tab. What do I get when middle clicking links, a big sloppy autoscroll icon. :frusty:

What's worse, that stupid thing showed up everywhere, even when there was no possible context for scrolling. I could no longer pan around my drawings in autocad or pan my view in blender! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

So, anyway, I hereby withdraw my recommendation for this mouse and am hijacking this thread in search of good mouse drivers as well.

I do still like the feel and weight of the thing by the way, but I wouldn't wish the above experience on anyone.

Oh hells, a Logitech mouse that doesn't use setpoint?! How old is that thing?

Wait, they probably made setpoint backwards compatible that far... THAT'S the Logitech button customization app, at least the one with real options that they support.

Try it?

Where on earth did you get this "intellipoint" software? Tell me it's not on some disk that shipped with that thing years ago... Overarching advise: Throw any CDs that come with your mainstream computer hardware away, especially if the manufacturer is a big one like Logitech. The companies that maintain these drivers and helper apps usually end up releasing a new version to address defects and conflicts within weeks of the thing shipping. No matter how good their compatability lab is, the consumers WILL break it. The latest versions of drivers and software will always be online.

Now, DO NOT follow that advise for everything! DO keep the disks that came with your motherboard, DVD drive, RAID controller, USB hub, anything that goes inside your case that isn't the sound or video card basically. For example, your motherboard CD probably has some useful BIOS shite on it that you'd need access to if it all went to hell and you couldn't access the internet on another computer.

Hope this helps somehow.

The only thing I ever regretted throwing away all the discs that came with, is my Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick. For some reason the drivers and awesome software weren't available online. For everything else though, I've been able to get the same -- usually newer -- software online.

Ergonomic mice!

ViH9sEhHecs

That actually looks quite nice. I don't think I'd ever use it for gaming, but seems like a good thing to have at work, when I'm using a computer all day for mundane tasks.

It seems to me most people should try to use the keyboard more. There really is very little you need a mouse for, and a lot of things go way faster if you learn the shortcuts.

It seems to me most people should try to use the keyboard more. There really is very little you need a mouse for, and a lot of things go way faster if you learn the shortcuts.

I know all the shortcuts. There are lots of things that are not as practical with a keyboard as with a mouse--sorting through a big list of files and moving them around, dealing with many email-related tasks especially when moving between non-adjacent messages, selecting text on a webpage, moving between text fields on a form with many fields, moving between tabs in a web browser when one of the tabs has Flash elements that steal cursor focus, going back and forward throughout web history many pages at a time rather than one at a time, doing most kinds of image manipulation, doing most kinds of audio manipulation, various aspects of using spreadsheets, saving images off of websites, browsing through search engine results, reading multi-page articles, attaching files to email, and a whole ton of things that rely on web applications with limited keyboard shortcut support.

Some of those things are impossible with a keyboard; some of them are more time-consuming with a keyboard; and some of them might be fine to do with a keyboard but become more efficient to do with a mouse if they are already bookended by tasks that are faster or only possible with a mouse.

Given the variety of tasks I do all day at work, I don't think it's possible to reduce my mouse usage much below its current level, particularly because so much of the web is not built for keyboard shortcuts, and my job is mainly composed of putting things on the web.

Yeah, also MIDI sequencing, 3D graphics and most games is harder using only the keyboard, basically almost everything that's not based on the OS's native UI, or made by developers who prioritize usability more than most.

My comment wasn't aimed particularly at you, Chris, that was just the next available spot in the thread. I apologize if I came off condescending. I just have the impression that most computer-using people would benefit from learning more keyboard shortcuts. Even people considering themselves "computer-savvy", and know Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+V, probably use menus and toolbars more than they should, even if they're using the same two or three apps daily.

There's a (maybe stupid) philosophy that if you're about to do something you've done once before, look up the keyboard shortcut instead. I work mostly in programming IDEs, which I guess are maybe more shortcut-heavy than most kinds of programs, but I know that millions work almost exclusively in Word, Excel, etc., and those people should almost never need to touch the mouse either.

Where on earth did you get this "intellipoint" software?

Thanks for the help. I'm trying out set point now. Yeah, Intellipoint is the software for Microsoft Mice. Its got a ton of interesting options for button customization, but since this mouse says logitech on it, I can't get it to do anything with that fourth button.

Also, since it is not my money, I think I'm going to be petitioning for that there vertical mouse, that thing looks comfy to me. I don't know if I'd be able to play games with it, but for work it might be great.

I find the adjustable weight idea quite intriguing, is it that noticeable when you add or remove weight from the mouse? After the initial adjustment period I mean.

It is quite noticeable. I thought it would be a gimmick at first, but I have come to appreciate it more with time.

It is quite noticeable. I thought it would be a gimmick at first, but I have come to appreciate it more with time.

Agreed. I think it falls firmly into that "feel" factor to peripherals... ~20 grams of deviation may seem trivial, but getting the mouse to have the "just right" acceleration is pretty damn nice.

Don't use Microsoft software for a Logitech mouse?

Yeah, unfortunately, logitech software doesn't fare much better. Even with setPoint I'm still getting a terrible loss of middle click functionality, so intellipoint it is.

When you say you're losing middle click functionality, you mean that apps with references to that button aren't recognizing it when you've got setpoint installed?

Make sure that thing is mapped to "Universal Scroll" or "Mouse 3" or something in Setpoint I suppose... can't really investigate too deeply as I'm running Razor software these days.

That sucks. I like mapping stuff to those extra buttons in games, it's damn useful.

Yeah, unfortunately, logitech software doesn't fare much better. Even with setPoint I'm still getting a terrible loss of middle click functionality, so intellipoint it is.

Did I miss why you're not just getting a new mouse? It's not particularly expensive to get a solid 5 button or more mouse nowadays, and it sounds like that driver nonsense isn't worth messing with.

My crappy little pack-in mouse from my laptop died on me on the weekend. It did ok for gaming, but was just a basic optical logitech laptop mouse. After talking with Patters in Steam chat, I was informed that Razer makes a laptop mouse. I have never owned a Razer product before, but Patters is an excellent salesman. It was about $20 more than I intended to spend, but it arrived today and I couldn't be happier.

I am now the proud owner of a Razer Orochi.

Holy shit this is the slickest peripheral I have ever owned. It's ridiculously ostentatious for a laptop mouse, but it feels amazing and performs so well. I am now tempted to buy a DeathAdder in the hopes that it's anywhere near this awesome for my desktop. The Orochi is silky smooth, has a detachable cable (it can be used in wired or bluetooth mode), is incredibly portable, and remarkably comfortable. As it is a laptop mouse, it is smaller than I would normally consider comfortable (that logitech one was about the same size and cramped my hand up something fierce) but is designed in such a way as to accommodate spillover. Whoever designed this thing knew that a hand was going to be too big for this thing, so it's made so that your fingers and palm are supposed to run off of it a bit. Brilliant design. For anyone who does their PC gaming primarily on a laptop as I do, this is the one. Consider me a newly forged Razer fanboy. Damn you Patters, this is going to end up costing me money.

I'm a fellow convert!

I can't vouch for the awesomeness of their headsets or keyboards, but I can say with some confidence that and mouse you get from Razer is a quality piece of precision pointing peripheral that will last a long time...

I hate sounding like an ad too, but experience bears it out- Razer mice just work for me.

I'm a fellow convert!

I can't vouch for the awesomeness of their headsets or keyboards, but I can say with some confidence that and mouse you get from Razer is a quality piece of precision pointing peripheral that will last a long time...

I hate sounding like an ad too, but experience bears it out- Razer mice just work for me.

The Keyboards are Rad, the headsets less so, yeah they look good. The sound quality is a little lacking. I'd generally suggest a pair of headphones (I use a pair of Sony MDR-V500 headphones) and a stand alone USB mic.

I'd say Sennheiser all the way for all things audio. Won't break your balls for cash, but has comparable quality to some of the best gear out there.

I'm partial to Grado headphones myself, although they're not really gamer headphones.... I like them mostly because they look so awesomely retro!

I'm partial to Grado headphones myself, although they're not really gamer headphones.... I like them mostly because they look so awesomely awesome!

Fixed.

Grados are a little out of my budget at this point, my dad has a pair of SR225i which are amazing.

I'd say Sennheiser all the way for all things audio. Won't break your balls for cash, but has comparable quality to some of the best gear out there.

Yeah, I've been loyal to Sennheiser for all my sound needs for about 7 years now, and I've never been let down or felt like I've overpaid. Excellent stuff.

My Sennheiser HD555 headphones have followed me to Scotland and back, several moves and a bunch of years. I don't think I own any piece of tech older than them. I did replace the (extremely comfortable) foam padding once, but otherwise served me very well indeed. And they sound excellent.

I have, embarrasingly, been using a Creative Fatal1ty headset. It was on offer, quite cheap and the sound quality is actually quite good.

:getmecoat

I'm under the impression that the whole Fatal1ty thing is a bit of a marketing piss take.