Sign in to follow this  
Sombre

Dawn of War 2

So, is this some persistent RPG thing? I thought it was only an RPG.

Basically, the mode we're playing is called "Last Stand", and it drops you in an arena, where 3 people fight off dudes as long as you can. For every wave you clear, you get newer, harder enemies. Coupled with this, is a persistent points system.

For example, you are constantly getting points throughout, with extra multipliers added for how many survive at the end of a wave, how many of the capture points you still have, and how fast you beat it.

Now, combine the two (Waves/Points), and you get assigned an amount of XP depending on how well you did. With this, whatever character you pick, out of-

Ork Mekboy

Space Marine Dude

Elder Farseer

Will gain XP, and the more you level up, the more diverse gear you get. It's not necessarily better gear as you level up, it just changes the way you play. Like, last night, Pirate got a jetpack for his space marine, which lets him pull enemies and kite them around, while I resurrect Chris, or Chris lays down extra fire or something. It's very fun!

That sounds awesome. Is it weird and hard to get into? Is it on Steam?

edit: Oh, is it the Warhammer 40k thing? It has "2 New Last Stand Heroes – Face off against the relentless horde as either the Chaos Sorceror or Tyranid Hive Tyrant" Do I have to be a tabletop RPG nerd?

Oh shit .

The VOIP works well for us, it's really useful.

Yeah, we've ditched the windows live chat for the vastly superior skype.

That sounds awesome. Is it weird and hard to get into? Is it on Steam?

edit: Oh, is it the Warhammer 40k thing? It has "2 New Last Stand Heroes – Face off against the relentless horde as either the Chaos Sorceror or Tyranid Hive Tyrant" Do I have to be a tabletop RPG nerd?

Not at all, on any front. As long as you have even a basis in RTS, you'll do fine. It uses a very loose cover system that's easy to pick up. When we all started it, we'd done maybe 1/2 matches a piece, but we're all getting pretty good at it now, it's super fly.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15620/ -This is the "Original", the other's the expansion, due in 11 days or so.

Not at all, on any front. As long as you have even a basis in RTS, you'll do fine. It uses a very loose cover system that's easy to pick up. When we all started it, we'd done maybe 1/2 matches a piece, but we're all getting pretty good at it now, it's super fly.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/15620/ -This is the "Original", the other's the expansion, due in 11 days or so.

Is the offer still on the THQ site, if so I'd go for that. All versions use Steam and GFWL though steam is just for copy protection. The game itself has 3 completely separate game types: single player campaign (which can be played cooperatively), The Competitive multiplayer (1vs1, 2vs2 or 3vs3) and the last stand which is essentially a combination of the co-op survival mode and diablo.

Also I think that there is going to be a patch allowing the expansion and the original to be compatible, though the Chaos marines will only be available for use by those with Chaos Rising. The new units look likely to be patched into Vanilla including the Hive Tyrant in Last Stand. Though this may be wrong, I just read a few information threads on the DoW II site.

Okay, I've bought it. Hopefully it's super awesome!

Not only is the single player campaign super good, it'll also give you a good grounding in the general game mechanics, I can suggest that as a "tutorial" as it were.

Thanks for the advice. I usually always play the single player first, as I for some reason instinctively consider multiplayer a second-rate addition. I think maybe it stems from the Thief or System Shock 2 or something. There was some horribly tacked-on multiplayer there. Anyway, I`ll give it a while as soon as I get a chance.

I'm real interested in playing this. I've just gone back to the campaign so I can get it done before the Chaos expansion comes out. The only caveat is I am not very good at Video Games.

Christ, it was only Saturday when I played and I'm already feeling left behind by you guys. I'd definitely like to play some more, if anyone is up for a mid-week game (bar Tuesday).

Christ, it was only Saturday when I played and I'm already feeling left behind by you guys. I'd definitely like to play some more, if anyone is up for a mid-week game (bar Tuesday).

I'm up for some of that. I'm saving Farseer for my "Team game", but I'd love to play some Ork, it looks super fun. Wednesday/Thursday good for you sir?

I'm up for some of that. I'm saving Farseer for my "Team game", but I'd love to play some Ork, it looks super fun. Wednesday/Thursday good for you sir?

Im a farseer to with my group. Id love to play with u guys during the week as a marine or something

I've had it on the backlog for a long time, and all this talk of expansion is getting me into the single player. 'blix, I'd be happy to partake in a low-skill match sometime, seeing as I totally suck at RTSes and have only played through the early parts of the SP. Anyone with skill at these games scares me, but as you just picked it up we may be on an even playing field at least until you get used to it.

I've had it on the backlog for a long time, and all this talk of expansion is getting me into the single player. 'blix, I'd be happy to partake in a low-skill match sometime, seeing as I totally suck at RTSes and have only played through the early parts of the SP. Anyone with skill at these games scares me, but as you just picked it up we may be on an even playing field at least until you get used to it.

Im not very good at Rts games either. Im enjoying this because you dont hafta micro manage buildings and resource gathering.

Is anyone game for some bog standard multiplayer tonight? I feel I've learnt enough to play it now! (Note to self, more triangles)

Is anyone game for some bog standard multiplayer tonight? I feel I've learnt enough to play it now! (Note to self, more triangles)

Tonight is GTA night, you can probably get a few others for dow though

Tonight is GTA night, you can probably get a few others for dow though

If you/anyone is up for it after GTA, drop me a line!

Tonight would be good, as would tomorrow, probably. Danny Boy (friend of Thumb) and I have both found Orks to be quite fragile, and without the ability to amass swarms of cannon fodder Last Stand proved tricky. I'm certain there is a way to play effectively, and if you manage to work I out it would be nice to have a full complement of races. The galactic Warhammer rainbow or something. Anyway, do I have you on Steam? I should probably just check the ID thread.

Also, I'm pretty god-awful at RTSes, Miffy, so I'd probably make a suitable opponent. Or non-critical ally, or whatever.

Tonight would be good, as would tomorrow, probably. Danny Boy (friend of Thumb) and I have both found Orks to be quite fragile, and without the ability to amass swarms of cannon fodder Last Stand proved tricky. I'm certain there is a way to play effectively, and if you manage to work I out it would be nice to have a full complement of races. The galactic Warhammer rainbow or something. Anyway, do I have you on Steam? I should probably just check the ID thread.

Also, I'm pretty god-awful at RTSes, Miffy, so I'd probably make a suitable opponent. Or non-critical ally, or whatever.

Yeah sure, let's do it!

Well. It turns out that DoWII was actually in my Steam games list..right at the bottom:erm:

I didn't know it was there :deranged:

The long and short of it is; I like it and I want me a piece of the multiplayer action. I have no idea how to organise a game and I am crap at it but I do have enthusiasm so that's what counts.

So, I understand that the awesome mode is for three players at a time. Are there three of us who are relatively new to the game?

So, I understand that the awesome mode is for three players at a time. Are there three of us who are relatively new to the game?

You could probably try:

Toblix (you)

Miffy

Armchair (Andy)