Sleepdance

Civilization 5

I tried to win a cultural victory with 3 cities as france yesterday, and I lost at 2050 with 13 turns left on the Utopia project. I was playing on quick settings, so I'm not sure if that scales with time, but it felt pretty frustrating.

I was on a Spain-shaped peninsula which was bottlenecked by a city state and 2 mountain ranges. Germany spent almost the entire game trying to break through to me, but I had 3 frigates in the bay between the mainland and my land and they couldn't push through on land single file. It was a bit of a 300 moment as a single fortified unit kept pushing back units that were softened up by the frigates.

I feel like the tech tree is bottlenecked at Steam Power.

Steam power was incredibly important, it's in the right position. If I'd change anything I'd make Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics into several different things, particularly Maths, with it's importance being pretty much overlooked.

Steam power was incredibly important, it's in the right position. If I'd change anything I'd make Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics into several different things, particularly Maths, with it's importance being pretty much overlooked.

If you consider the history of the human race, and think about everything that has happened since the moment we came down from the trees and wiped the banana from our faces, maths really hasn't been that important. It's mainly used for theoretical (i.e. not really useful) research on atoms and stuff like that. Maybe maths will be more important in the future – who knows?! – but I think they got it right.

If you consider the history of the human race, and think about everything that has happened since the moment we came down from the trees and wiped the banana from our faces, maths really hasn't been that important. It's mainly used for theoretical (i.e. not really useful) research on atoms and stuff like that. Maybe maths will be more important in the future – who knows?! – but I think they got it right.

There are a bunch of Mathematical disiplines which are entirely over looked, particularly statistics. There are a lot of technologies which rely upon coding theory (mostly communication systems) which includes a variety of mathematical disciplines (including Group theory and metric spaces, which are both pure maths). Along with this there are the mathematical basis's for a lot of Physics and Chemistry.

This isn't a real issue, it would be a nice addition though.

If you start up a game, and pick steam power as the goal tech you'll see that of the 41 tech's available up to it, you are required to research 37 of them. And if you want to research anything in the tech tree past it, you'll need steampower.

That's one hell of a bottleneck. They should make a few more leaf nodes early on in the game, or dynamic dependencies. Because that essentially ruins diversity at that point, as everyone races for the exact same tech tree.

But isn't that how it actually worked? I don't remember any alternative to steam power except not progressing in knowledge.

In my third game (second was abandonned due to Africa being hell to fight from) again using the large Earth map. This time starting in Russia as Japan, a fantastic starting position. I originally intended to go for a straight diplomatic victory, trying to please everyone. though it turns out that Germany gets pissed when you don't help them in a war against the Greeks. So whilst Germany were at war with Greece and I Gandhi (That guy is a dick) Germany attacks me. Following this I quickly rush the majority of my forces to fend off Bismark, making peace with Gandhi as I had destroyed his economy.

From here I managed to hold of Bismark. Once he destroyed Greece I went for the last city he took from Greece, which I handed back to Greece. But Alexander being a dick decided to say something along the lines of "I'm looking forward to the day I never see your face again". So that city became mine again. I'm now working my way through Bismark's kingdom in North Africa.

Why is Gandhi always a bloodthirsty psychopath in Civ games? Is it an in-joke? He's there, calmly advocating mutual respect while his armies are chopping you into hamburger. No wonder the British left India...

Why is Gandhi always a bloodthirsty psychopath in Civ games? Is it an in-joke? He's there, calmly advocating mutual respect while his armies are chopping you into hamburger. No wonder the British left India...

I hear he loves him some nukes, I suppose it's an ironic statement from Firaxis. I approve.

It's not like I'm going to stop other activities to free up time: Juggling...

:grin:

I don't know why that's so funny but I really enjoy it. "I won't give up juggling, God damn it! I won't!!!"

I just came across this:

Firaxis producer Dennis Shirk answers, "We are adding a really, really awesome unit with an 'interesting' title to it. And you have to play a certain way to unlock it. It just isn't going to happen by accident; it's a combination of things you'll have to do. I know I'm being vague about it, but it's probably the most awesome unit in the game. You're not going to find it in the Civpedia or the unit list, you're just going to find out that you can build it during one session."

Anyone know anything else about this?

Guh, I wish they'd fix the stupid bugs in it. Like saving in multiplayer which is just broken.

I just came across this:

This is the sort of awesome thing the internet has sort of broken, as there's no way I'll discover a totally awesome secret unit without having read a thousand blog posts and Kotaku headlines about it hours after they patched it in.

I just came across this:

Anyone know anything else about this?

He may mean the Giant Death Robot

Well, the GDR is in the Civilopedia and unit list... so I guess it's another unit. I'll check if they know anything in the civfanatics forums.

I haz no oil:frusty: Should I declare war on Babylon again to get oil from his territory(did it before for coal)? :grin:

I haz no oil:frusty: Should I declare war on Babylon again to get oil from his territory(did it before for coal)? :grin:

Don't forget the aircraft carrier which you fly in on proclaiming "Mission Accomplished!" when you're 2 turns into your 50 turn war for oil :P

But seriously, I love that the came creates this sort of situation. You really feel the squeeze for strategic resources, which can direct your civ. My recent playthrough I've been blessed with multiples of each in my starting 4-5 city area, and as a result, haven't expanded at all. In fact, I've mostly been playing Global Police.

It seems the OS X version is going to be released "soon", which might just ruin my studies in time for the exams. Has anyone heard whether you get both versions when you buy the game on, say, Steam or whether they are still two completely separate things?

I spent almost 13 hours on my first game. :tup:/:tmeh:

The combat is really enjoyable now and so I went on destroying all the other civilizations, ending it all on an atomic bomb. The sound of women and children screaming when I bombarded their cities didn't make me at all uncomfortable because I genuinely felt like I was liberating them from their backwards leaders. It was only after I had bought them a circus to make them happy again that I realized what a monster I had become.

It was only after I had bought them a circus to make them happy again that I realized what a monster I had become.

Best realisation reason.

I just finished my second game. I was aiming for a culture victory but because I found out by reading a certain tooltip text at around the year 2020 that each new city raises the culture needed for new social policies by 33 %, I ended up going to space instead. I had 4 policies to go and I was producing 1500+ culture each turn but because I had also conquered about 60% of the world by then, I had a lot of cities and thus each new policy would have taken me 10+ turns.

I miss printed manuals. :fart:

I miss all the graphs you used to get after the game that tracked all the statistics.

Anyway, I recently finished a Standard sized map at Prince difficulty with Arabia. A weird thing happened -- I was going to conquer all of my continent but at one point a peace agreement with Hiawatha just never lapsed. I had to divert my armies to all the city states because I didn't feel like going to the other continent (which I never even saw). Oh yeah, I miss trading maps. Seems silly that that's been removed. Oh, I won science, which is boring.

Prince is too easy and I'm probably going to stay with small maps from now on. Bigger ones are just a hassle.

Babylon was a preorder bonus civ so it is already out there. I hope Mongolian empire will have horse archers and get bonus for aggressive expansion.

By the way: has anyone found any essential mods yet? The list is a bit overwhelming already. I got an achievement for completing a game with a mod, though, but I don't think I have actually installed any. :gaming: