Sleepdance

Civilization 5

Hey! Civilization 5 got announced today.....What gives me an excuse to actually start playing it again.

They say it will be heksogrid, what to me looks a lot like Settlers of Catan setting.

My Civy sense must have been tingling because on Sunday I installed it and then suddenly it was Monday and I had to go to work....

Hexes eh? That should be interesting? No opinion of it yet, but glad to see they are changing things for hopefully the better.

I'm more curious about the cultural and diplomacy stuff and the info was sadly lacking mention in the press release. Ranged ballistics seem cool, but there was just one odd thing about Civ since... 3?... is that so much attention goes into war and battles yet it seems like the game "punishes" you for it in the end.

Hexagonal tiles has already been done. Even Fallout had it, for God's sake. How is this progress?!

I like that unit stacks are now represented by multiple units, but that the movement system is now hex.

Looks like they're rethinking the appropriate levels of abstraction for each game element, which is a good thing at this point, imo.

In lieu of this, I redownloaded Civ4, but it doesn't work on vista without being a gigantic fucking baby. Here goes my night!

In lieu of this, I redownloaded Civ4, but it doesn't work on vista without being a gigantic fucking baby. Here goes my night!

Really? it works perfectly on my vista laptop, although it is 32bit. Also fuck yes for this announcement:tup:.

Really? it works perfectly on my vista laptop, although it is 32bit. Also fuck yes for this announcement:tup:.

Consistent binkw32 bullshit. Goddamnit.

I don't really see how hexes change the game play beyond the tactics, that said, you can sign me up for every other Civ game made until the end of time.

I already know that I'm going to lose a lot of time to that game. I would've preferred something a bit more colourful looking, but I'll get used. Probably.

I hope this one or at least the Facebook version of Civilization is dumbed down enough for me to grasp it. I've tried each Civ game since the first but never had the patience to actually learn to play it, despite the fact that I love the idea of the game.

Maybe if they make the multiplayer like an MMO with your persistent civilization and all that stuff...

I hope this one or at least the Facebook version of Civilization is dumbed down enough for me to grasp it. I've tried each Civ game since the first but never had the patience to actually learn to play it, despite the fact that I love the idea of the game.

Maybe if they make the multiplayer like an MMO with your persistent civilization and all that stuff...

Civ III had just the right amount of everything to allow me to get into it and enjoy it. I've never played IV, but I can't imagine it could be better than 3! (Am I wrong... because 3 is dangerously addictive.)

I don't really see how hexes change the game play beyond the tactics

Heh, you wouldn't expect it to affect anything BUT the tactics? It's like saying the diplomacy won't really affect the gameplay beyond the strategy.

Anyway I'm very excited. I remember being really skeptical about Civ 4 before its release but it ended up being my favorite in the series.

Awesome news... Civ has always been the kind of game that I'd install Friday night, play until Sunday and uninstall. Rinse, repeat 100 times.

Still waiting for an Alpha Centauri remake...

Heh, you wouldn't expect it to affect anything BUT the tactics? It's like saying the diplomacy won't really affect the gameplay beyond the strategy.

True, but there aren't really a lot of tactics in Civ4 anyway. At least every game I've played. I play Total War, so I don't really go to Civ for the combat, I go for the depth of everything else.

Does anyone find it funny that a lot of people when hearing Civ5 requires steam get angry?

My reaction was the complete opposite; "Steam and Civ? NEAT!"

It might be because I planned on buying it through steam regardless and pretty much every other pc game I buy, but really it's not a big deal.

Apparently you can resell the hardcopies if you keep the reciept as well.

Apparently you can resell the hardcopies if you keep the reciept as well.

Buh? Really??

That's really surprising, seeing as how 2K is the one that started this whole "limited activations" mess.

In the Civ5 booth during PAX East they mentioned how it would be possible to access mod information directly from civfanatics in-game. In the Q&A I asked if there would be Steam integration to facilitate an in-game browser, they said "We can't say anything at this time, but good catch!".

I guess the cat is now out of the bag then.

Since it's Hex-based, I should probably restart my Catan mod

IbYJT.gif

Hopefully they'll have better python hooks in the SDK, but probably not.

I'm surprised no one else has done that yet. That screenshot implies that it's quite doable. I mean, obviously, hexes will make things easier.

My problem was that I had to either make things extremely static, or invest more time in C++. The Python hooks they added weren't quite enough to get the basic game play mechanics working. I wasn't even sure how to interface with their C++ API, and never got around to seeing where to grab the source.

It just rapidly became apparent that I was jamming a square peg in a round hole, and I would have spent a lot less time creating a game from scratch.

Don't you mean a hexagonal peg in a square...

...that sentence is not worth finishing.