Armchair General

Gaming virginity loss.

amiga23.png

Not the first game I played, but the first game I played on the Amiga, which is the first system I didn't have to visit others to play on.

^^ What game is that? That looks like it's from a Commodore, or a NES maybe? A better system than my first computer...a Spectrum 128k + 2.

Andy

Edit: Sorry, your text didn't come up the first time. Knew it had to be better than a Speccy.

You know, I want to say a handheld Tetris LCD game I had, but I remember playing this very early on:

Sesame%20Street%20-%20Letter-Go-Round_4.png

It ran on one of these:

c.datagen.one2.JPEG

The graphics were all amazing shades of yellow, even though the stats on this particular ancient laptop say it had CGA capabilities. I always thought CGA was made by simultaneously running horrible shades of magenta and cyan along with white.

Another game I remember playing on my dad's ancient laptop around that time was also some boxing game where you either played a white dude, a black dude, or a kangaroo. If anyone knows what that game was, please tell me.

Also I'm not comfortable with this thread title saying I lost my gaming virginity. I must have been at most four years old. Yuck.

Also I'm not comfortable with this thread title saying I lost my gaming virginity. I must have been at most four years old. Yuck.

I tried to change the title to avoid any ill feeling for you, but it doesn't seem to have worked. Can anyone change it to Gaming beginning win!....?

Either Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive II or PacMan Deluxe on my Dad's Amiga A500.

My first game was a Dos version of the gameshow Concentration. After that I had an on again off again thing with video games but I didn't really get hooked until Fable II. I wish I had a better answer than Fable II.

I can't remember what the first game I played regularly was. I do remember my first instance of game voyeurism, watching my brother play Space Quest on an old 'IBM-XT compatible' with a mono-green monitor. I wasn't allowed to play myself due to being too young and my brother having a trantrum if anyone tried to seperate him from the computer. :tdown:

I do remember some time later sitting down to actually play the game and hating it. I suppose I hadn't realised that the fun part of Adventure games is the exploration aspect; having seen most of the game through already, I was just stuck with the crappy controls and mini-games.

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID7953/images/duckhunt.jpg

I used to put the gun up to the screen to shoot the damned ducks and clay pigeons.

Didn't we all? :grin:

I think the first computer game I ever saw but never played is some football game with bigheaded people.I don't even remember what the occasion was, but my nan and mum took us shopping and then along the way I got that we were buying a NES. I can't recall getting excited about that, because I was 5 and had no idea what the hell was going on. I got Super Mario Bros and my brother got Double Dragon.

The Nintendo and it's games are still with me. Best of all is that it still works!! The controllers are all scratched up and have a couple of teethmarks. Aaah, the frustration I channeled into those things. :tup:

Several of my friends had the Atari 2600, and while I liked River Raid and Pitfall a lot I used to consider video games just something to do on a rainy day when we couldn't be outside playing tag or soccer. Then one day when I was six one of my best friend's father went to the US and brought him a NES.

Z2_link_by_sleeping_zelda.png

I'm not kidding when I say that Contra and Super Mario changed the way I looked at games, but Zelda II was the watershed moment for me. After that when me and my friends weren't sitting in front of the TV playing Zelda we were either making drawings of Link and co. or pretending we were those characters while whacking each other with plastic swords on the backyard.

Sorry, I kind of love this thread, but I almost forgot there was this game that I also played on the yellow computer:

Dark_castle.png

I've still never beaten Dark Castle and have vague memories about it. I hear it's the precursor to Prince of Persia and Another World.

I just thought of this because I remember being really young and making a cape to be this guy and fight bats. It was made with a brown blanket from Delta Airlines delta.gif

and was pinned with one of these: 474518_paperclip_clamp.jpg

Those were impossible to open as a child and I had to continuously ask my mom to put it back on when it fell off.

And you know what? The motherfucker from Dark Castle doesn't even have a cape on, does he?!

First game I played:

super-mario-bros-3.jpg

First game that knocked on my door, waited for me to open it with my favorite slippers on, ripped my head off and shoved itself down my throat:

miwally_2.jpg

Sorry, I kind of love this thread, but I almost forgot there was this game that I also played on the yellow computer:

Dark_castle.png

I've still never beaten Dark Castle and have vague memories about it. I hear it's the precursor to Prince of Persia and Another World.

Holy shit, Dark Castle. The music. Crapola that was fun.

ql009_pirate1.gif

Pirate on the QL

This was the first game I owned. I don't think looking starry eyed at your friend's C64 and not getting a go cause everyone at his birthday was crowded around it, until the next weekend when he only let you have a quick go, counts.

Dark_castle.png

I just thought of this because I remember being really young and making a cape to be this guy and fight bats. It was made with a brown blanket from Delta Airlines delta.gif

and was pinned with one of these: 474518_paperclip_clamp.jpg

Those were impossible to open as a child and I had to continuously ask my mom to put it back on when it fell off.

And you know what? The motherfucker from Dark Castle doesn't even have a cape on, does he?!

Maybe it's because I have children and can visualise it well but I really love that you made a cape.

First game I played:

super-mario-bros-3.jpg

First game that knocked on my door, waited for me to open it with my favorite slippers on, ripped my head off and shoved itself down my throat:

miwally_2.jpg

Two of my favourites also. Although the version of Monkey Island on my PC was the original. As far as the SNES goes, the top game for me (due to my wasted youth in arcades) was Streetfighter II. Man I LOVED that game.

Incidentally, if anyone has ever played SFII and now has SFIV on PC, I would be interested to know how they compare enjoyment wise.

Andy

Mine was Snafu on Ye Olde Intellivision.

Thinking back, its funny how I love games where you end up beating the crap out of the person next to you. This game started that.

Kidding aside, my memory is fuzzy but my first game might be the Missile Command arcade game. I remember I liked slapping the trackball and giving it a good spin.

My first videogaming experience:

MSX:

MSX_Philips_VG8020.jpg

Wow, Rodi, I didn't know anyone played on the MSX outside of Japan. I never even knew of it's existence until getting into the original Metal Gear games about 5 or 6 years ago.

I'm curious, do you remember which games you played on it?

I can't remember what the first game I played regularly was. I do remember my first instance of game voyeurism, watching my brother play Space Quest on an old 'IBM-XT compatible' with a mono-green monitor. I wasn't allowed to play myself due to being too young and my brother having a trantrum if anyone tried to seperate him from the computer. :tdown:

I do remember some time later sitting down to actually play the game and hating it. I suppose I hadn't realised that the fun part of Adventure games is the exploration aspect; having seen most of the game through already, I was just stuck with the crappy controls and mini-games.

The Sierra AGI adventures weren't my first games, but I do remember becoming advanced (Well, by Texas standards) in reading and spelling before Kindergarten because of Space Quest 1 and 2. I used to bug my mom to write down on yellow stick post-its™ in order to know to spell certain things I wanted to do in the games. I remember explicitly learning the difference between the words "close" and "clothes" when having to take off the suit in the locker room at the beginning of 2.

Needless to say, I still didn't get very far until years later because I didn't understand what I needed to do and I couldn't read very well.

Alley_Cat_(1983_video_game)_intro_screen.gif

Probably not quite this one, but that's pretty near. Funny to think now that it's actually older than I am, but I never knew or noticed.