Sign in to follow this  
Kolzig

Canada and specifically Toronto

So it seems I'm going to Canada in the middle of March for five days or so.

Location will be at least Toronto, but plans are to check also Ottawa and maybe Montreal if we have time.

Do you have any suggestions what to see there? I've never been to Canada so I don't know anything.

I know only that as a sports nut I will go see Hockey Hall of Fame on one day and the CN Tower that is apparently close to the HHoF.

All suggestions are appreciated. :)

If you only have 5 days, I think you will find it hard to get to Montreal and back in that time, especially if you already have two of your days planned.

Yes that's true, we are looking into the option to arrive at Toronto, but leave back in Montreal. We might actually end up skipping Ottawa and go straight to Montreal from Toronto. Even though it's happening already a month from now, the plans are still kind of open in what we will do there other than be in Toronto.

Time is short and plan is not to have too much stuff happening, otherwise there's no time to relax and enjoy.

Well I can't recommend anything in Toronto but if you do go to Montreal, I would recommend going to the Biodome and the old port area. For any drinking go to Saint Laurent or Crescent street.

Ottawa is the capital and everything but... it is a little dull (it reminded me of Eastbourne in East Sussex: Some where old people go to die).

(it reminded me of Eastbourne in East Sussex: Some where old people go to die).

A friend of mine went to Eastbourne to study, thinking it'd obviously be cool because it was near Brighton. His words: "There are two types of people who live in Eastbourne, the quick and the dead, and the quick have zimmer frames". :tup:

toronto's a very bland city with no noteworthy landmarks to speak of other than the CN tower...

If you're in art & theatre mood, I suppose you could check out places like Roy Thomson hall, habourfront theatre, or that new opera house near University Ave. and Queen st (prolly need to book early). I like the Distillery District, but I think it's only open during summer. I think there's some anime convention at metro convention centre in late March.

If you're in shopping mood, you could check out the Eaton centre, Yonge & Dundas, or Queen st. West. Yeah... it's not a very good city for tourism IMHO.

I live in Montreal and can testify to it being a pretty class city. Toronto is great too, but much more of an 'insider' city imo. What I mean by that is that if you know people there, and know the city well, there's lots to do, lots of great food and excitement. But on the surface it's a dull town, it's also not very public transportation friendly - at least when compared to Montreal.

Here we have a bit of everything, and it's all at arms reach. The city is much more compressed than Toronto which makes getting around and visiting much easier.

Toronto does still have a major league baseball team, AND the Bata shoe museum.

Feel free to PM me with any specific Montreal questions, I'd be glad to help!!

edit: If I only had 5 days, and had no specific reason to go there, I would avoid Ottawa. Ottawa is nice because of the river (which won't be nice in March) and because of all the grand parliament/government buildings, and because my brother lives there. Ottawa also has a pretty good museum (our national gallery), but for a european chap like yourself grand oldish buildings and museums aren't all that much of a reason to visit.

I haven't been there myself, but almost everybody I know has gone on and on about how good Zet's is. It should, conveniently, be close to Toronto airport. Best burger you'll ever have, apparently.

Ottawa and Montreal are usually just awesome to walk around - well, for me, at least. I've always liked everything from the architecture and winter games to the sales they have in the summer (it's a great time to pick up obscure music albums for 80% off). So...err...enjoy the scenery, I guess?

If the Ottawa Canal is frozen over, you can go ice skating on the world's biggest skating rink :) No need for a bus!

But yes, this may have more to do with me living the majority of my life in the Middle East and finding the new life there appealingly different. :) If it helps you decide, Toronto is the "Canadian New York", whereas you'll find Montreal to be a little, err, French. Ottawa is Ottawa. The Parliament buildings are amazing to behold, but if you're only spending five days, best to avoid Ottawa. (Except to pass by my old apartment and say "Daddy misses you baby".)

The trip in the end will be closer to 7 days, and now that we finalized our trip schedule during the weekend. We will start the trip from Montreal, tickets were cheapest that way. Then we will make a work around Montreal and Ottawa and go to Toronto for the last couple of days.

Thanks for the advices! :)

Floordje, I think I will PM you about Montreal before the trip.

One person coming along speaks good French so he will be the interpreter in Montreal if needed.

If one of you can speak French (and understand the French they speak here) you will earn a bunch of good will from people here but to be honest everyone more or less understands English. Although some of them wish they didn't but that is another story.

Getting to Ottawa from Montreal is a piece of cake. Also, not sure if it affects Canada but after that 'pants full of explosives' incident the North Americans get quite uncomfortable about electronic goods in hand luggage. Worth checking out if there are going to be any restrictions on that going through security.

Oh man. Have fun. O-town's prettiness is mostly downtown, around the Rideau Center. If you want to know a good place to eat, tell me what you have in mind and I'll let you know.

Getting to Ottawa from Montreal is a piece of cake.

Yep, just take the number 7 (Carleton or St. Laurent, depending on what part of town you're in; the OC Transpo website should have a travel planner), drop off at Greyhound, buy a ticket and wait for one or two hours. The scenery's a little repetetive, though, so bring a book to read/something to listen to/console to play on for the 2 hour bus drive.