Sign in to follow this  
Jake

The Idle Thumbs Podcast Episode 1: THE GREAT GATLING-GUNSBY

Our frothing demand for this podcast increases...

Put that on the box when you release the collector's edition.

Welcome back fellows, my iPod thanks you.

This is suddenly becoming a "Does Jake have nice hair? How does he smell" kind of surprisecast territory.

Regardless, I visibly creased as I was walking to university today. God bless you all.

Jake has no hair, only feathers...

Hoping Thumbs will do be doing some GDC Conf Grenades again this year, is there any chance that will happen?

MONSTER SAMPLEE

YES...

Some of my favorite episodes feature Two Hot Scoops of Steve. He lends such a palpable sense of sass to the 'cast. I applaud this and any anything else you choose to cast into our grinning, upturned faces.

...yes.

I can't believe anyone had the audacity to criticize anything about the return of what is literally the best games podcast around. Disgusting. Some people aren't happy if they aren't wearing a beret and critiquing something.

I can't believe anyone had the audacity to criticize anything about the return of what is literally the best games podcast around. Disgusting. Some people aren't happy if they aren't wearing a beret and critiquing something.

Not sure if you're being ironic but... go easy. 'Gerbil has been here some time and like a lot of pre-podcast forum members he doesn't feel bad about giving occasional critical feedback to Chris and the gang. This is a good thing I think. He has already qualified his statements, the cast responded, all is good.

Although to be honest, a lot of us are lay critics here. We'll critique anything, from movies to music to ad campaigns and we have fun doing it. Oh, and video games. It's almost the raison d'etre of the forum. Welcome! :tup:

I'm not too sure about your post, Dan. It's a bit too diplomatic to sound like genuine sentiment.

I like how on the frontpage, Nick Breedon has been stricken from the record, replaced by Steve "two hot scoops" gaynor. DISCUSS!

All I can say is to potential conflict going on here is... yahurr.

That was kind of hypnotic. I think I went over two minutes...just in awe.

So fess up...who made it through the whole thing?

"Yahurr" -ign.com

ummm.... so after listening to the podcast, and having just beaten Bioshock for the first time, and being poor, I decided to try and pick up a copy of System Shock 2 instead of the much more expensive Bioshock 2.

But is it really much cheaper?

I can't find a digitally distributed copy and Amazon/Ebay only have 50$ second hand versions of the game...

there are several sites claiming the game as abandonware with links to Dl... my question to the hive thumb: have I missed something or is it really abandonware.

(Irrationals new website has a write up on the game but no sales links)

ummm.... so after listening to the podcast, and having just beaten Bioshock for the first time, and being poor, I decided to try and pick up a copy of System Shock 2 instead of the much more expensive Bioshock 2.

But is it really much cheaper?

I can't find a digitally distributed copy and Amazon/Ebay only have 50$ second hand versions of the game...

there are several sites claiming the game as abandonware with links to Dl... my question to the hive thumb: have I missed something or is it really abandonware.

(Irrationals new website has a write up on the game but no sales links)

Abandonware is a lie, to make piracy seem acceptable.

Abandonware is a lie, to make piracy seem acceptable.

I don't know if I would go that far. Abandonware is an unclear term, and it might be twisted to make piracy seem acceptable... at the end of the day, I want to play the game and can't afford to buy the overpriced second hand copies of the game that are on sale on amazon/ebay.

(and even if I did order one of them instead of downloading the difference to the publisher/developer is negligible... but I don't want to get into a copyright discussion, nor tread the old 'is gamestop good or bad' path...)

How do I play this game, Patters? I bought the Freedom Force games through steam and Bioshock was a christmas gift. Maybe I just don't play this game and instead I watch someone else play the game for me.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SystemShock2/

Goldblast!

I don't know if I would go that far. Abandonware is an unclear term, and it might be twisted to make piracy seem acceptable... at the end of the day, I want to play the game and can't afford to buy the overpriced second hand copies of the game that are on sale on amazon/ebay.

(and even if I did order one of them instead of downloading the difference to the publisher/developer is negligible... but I don't want to get into a copyright discussion, nor tread the old 'is gamestop good or bad' path...)

How do I play this game, Patters? I bought the Freedom Force games through steam and Bioshock was a christmas gift. Maybe I just don't play this game and instead I watch someone else play the game for me.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SystemShock2/

Goldblast!

It's still a method of piracy, do you pirate a film if it is unavailable on DVD, do you obtain a book which is out of print, for me the answer is no. I am however not entirely against piracy of out of print games, however I am against the term abandonware, calling it such implies that no one owns the rights to it, which in the majority of cases is false. The game could be re-released tomorrow, would it have been ever been considered abandonware then? No.

It's still a method of piracy, do you pirate a film if it is unavailable on DVD, do you obtain a book which is out of print, for me the answer is no. I am however not entirely against piracy of out of print games, however I am against the term abandonware, calling it such implies that no one owns the rights to it, which in the majority of cases is false. The game could be re-released tomorrow, would it have been ever been considered abandonware then? No.

Wait, do you mean watching a 'let's play' is a form of piracy? The only crime I see with an LP would be having to listen to some of the worst commentary out there.

I'm especially careful when it comes to games as I work in the industry, and understand how it feels to hear that someone has pirated a game I worked for years on (as a tester or as a designer).

However, there is something to be said for trying to experience those games that are regarded as part of a cannon, where that playing experience will inform my ability to further the genre through my own work in some small way. There are lots of games to play out there, and not being able to play one of the thousands is not a problem. I'm currently installing the Deus Ex I picked up on steam a while ago and haven't gotten to play yet in order to satiate my desire to experience some classic fps design.

The fact that Irrational has recently been reborn means that it is likely that the game might see a re-release, so I think you were correct to bring that matter up.

I wasn't trying to justify abandonware, or question it, it was a term I used lighly and perhaps without enough thought... I was just trying to find a game that (afaik) is out of print. Deus Ex promises hours of fun, and the fact that this conversation has gotten me to install it is a good thing.

For those interested I have contacted Irrational about SS2 and will see what that brings.

Edit: more evidence against the 'ss2 as abandonware' argument, from here:

"For the record, Jeff Brown (Executive President, Corporate Communications at EA) says:

"We pride ourselves in aggressively protecting our intellectual property rights, and we frequently pursue those who try to distribute our games without permission."

There are no titles in the Electronic Arts library that they consider to be abandonware.

Official word from Irrational: "No, System Shock 2 is not abandonware, please don't warez it""

case closed!

Edited by Floordje
heavy editing to try and make some sense of my poor structure

Wait, do you mean watching a 'let's play' is a form of piracy? The only crime I see with an LP would be having to listen to some of the worst commentary out there.

I don't download stuff I think of as pirated, at least not since I grew up. I do listen to lots and lots of old time radio, and I do read material acquired through project Gutenberg, I also really like downloading mixtapes.

I don't download albums or movies or tvshows, but I do watch streaming tv shows and movies if they are available at that network's website.(comedycentral.ca or the national film board's site - for example).

I'm especially careful when it comes to games as I work in the industry, and understand how it feels to hear that someone has pirated a game I worked for years on (as a tester or as a designer).

However, there is something to be said for trying to experience those games that are regarded as part of a cannon, where that playing experience will inform my ability to further the genre through my own work in some small way.

There are lots of games to play out there, and not being able to play one of the thousands is not a problem. I'm currently installing the Deus Ex I picked up on steam a while ago and haven't gotten to yet to satiate my desire to experience some classic design.

The fact that Irrational has recently been reborn means that it is likely that the game might see a re-release, so I think you were correct to bring that matter.

I wasn't trying to justify abandonware, or question it, it was a term I used lighly and perhaps without enough thought... I was just trying to find a game that (afaik) is out of print. Deus Ex promises hours of fun. For those interested I have contacted Irrational about SS2 and will see what that brings.

No, of course not, viewing a playthrough is covered through free speech. As a general rule, if the creators consider believe the material should be free, then I am cool with it being pirated, when they don't I am not. Once it is freely available in the public domain, then all is good. At this point we are quite lucky, with plenty of old games being updated and being sold through Digital distribution, such as GoG and Steam, also with the cases of the C&C games being released for free in original form. Companies have seen the light, they are no longer sitting on the source code, releasing it for younger gamers and older alike. I too hope for a SS2 re-release, Remo made that clear to me on the 'cast.

Sorry about this. Abandonware is a term, which simply doesn't make sense to me philosophically or logically; where something like Freeware does.

Yeah I'm done too.

Listened to it, laughed a bunch. Didn't go as in depth as I'm used to from you guys, which is a bit of a disappointment, but goddamn it was good to hear some genuinely new discussion from you. The "Two Hot Scoops of Steve" thing had me attracting puzzled looks from other passengers on my flight as I started laughing way too hard. What say for the next one you have a callback to "going way over an hour" and cobble together a nice hour and a half podcast for us? What with the sporadic release schedule, something a bit meatier would be nice to tide us over.

I'm not too sure about your post, Dan. It's a bit too diplomatic to sound like genuine sentiment.

That's an interesting point of view, and one which I can respect.

No wait...

Screw you!:fart: