JonCole

Metro 2033

There seemed to be a lot of excitement about STALKER from you guys, so I was just wondering if there was any enthusiasm for Metro 2033, coming from some of the same guys from GSC that moved over to 4A games.

From listening to the latest 4 Guys 1UP (About the 55 minute mark), it sounds like the game is a lot more guided than STALKER since they want to tell a more structured story. The premise of this deal is based on a book of the same name, which tells the story of a post-apocalyptic Moscow where the few survivors managed to survive by taking shelter in the city's subway systems. Each of the groups managed to band together and create microsocieties, meeting together through the tunnels now and then to trade supplies and such.

One of the most interesting mechanics they mentioned is that the primary currency of the game is ammunition, because pre-war ammo is of much higher quality than any shit they can pull together after the fact. Since you're out doing your own adventuring, though, you can exploit both the direct and indirect value of ammunition - you could use it in favor of the shit ammo to kill far more effectively, or save it and use it to trade for supplies.

These Ukrainian dudes know how to put together some interesting shit, even though their games tend to be a little unpolished. I was waffling a little bit on buying BioShock 2 and after hearing about this game I'm thinking about tossing my Steam preorder this way instead. Thoughts?

I'm pretty excited about it, but I haven't pursued it any further than the few trailers they've released. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic settings, and it's made more interesting to me because it's a nuclear winter scenario instead of the usual blasted wasteland.

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzkVjNE6zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbzkVjNE6zk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

Looks pretty sweet.

And you get a free copy of Space Asshole when you pre-purchase it on Steam! :tup:

:tup::tup::tup:

There was an interview with the author of the book in Edge last month. Based on that - and that alone - am I interested in this game. He seems to take the game seriously as an extension of his ideas, despite acknowledging that the game will inevitably be a simplification of the book. Anyway, he seems to be working the devs and publisher to try and make sure the game retains some of the key themes of his work, as he sees them.

Here's hoping it's more than just another shooter in post-apocolyptia.