Armchair General

A new multiplayer game (for the times when left for lobby gets too much)

So I'm going to have to write down your special Battlefield names on a piece of paper and type them into the game? Isn't there any Steam integration?

No steam integration whatsoever. This thread would've to be the source to share your names. To make things easier though, folks should stick to their steam usernames.

Dangit, I really am enjoying the PS3 demo. It's great when the sides are evenly matched, though trouncing the other side is not too bad either. Not too much fun if you're really losing, at least if you weel you're playing kind of badly and then find out you scored highest on your team because you were the only one paying any attention to other scoring methods than killing.

I'm playing engineer mostly. Killing tanks is important. Also, switching between being a machinegun operator and repairman on a tank is a pretty effective for attack. I'm being way more tactical than I remember being on other FPS games, flanking people and all that, anticipating where people are going to come from next etc. It's damn important to know the map.

I wish I had money.

UAVs are shit.

Our small number and great skills surely seperates us from the cannon fodder. We are an elite fighting force...like the Goonies, but older.

Andy

PS. I was commenting on the 'army' bit. I like Battlethumbs: Idle company:tup:

The Goonies at the end with Sloth as a member, or at the begining without? That's important...

So I'm going to have to write down your special Battlefield names on a piece of paper and type them into the game? Isn't there any Steam integration?

The Steam overlay thing works, so you can use the chat channels without the steam version, but no cleverness with the users. Which is totally crap in this day and age.

I've been using [THUMB] or [iDLETHUMB] as my tag, but [tup] is cool.

S.

Not too much fun if you're really losing, at least if you weel you're playing kind of badly and then find out you scored highest on your team because you were the only one paying any attention to other scoring methods than killing.

I think a whole load of people are playing it as straight deathmatch, because on more than one occasion I've felt like I was performing distinctly averagely, only to find myself at the top of the scoreboard (for both teams, even). I'm sure this will happen less as people either learn to play more to the objectives (team or class), or simply drop off in favour of more deathmatch-oriented FPSes, but it's an indicator that paying attention to all that stuff is worthwhile. You don't even have to be particularly smart about it, and it makes the game a lot more fun.

I'm playing engineer mostly. Killing tanks is important. Also, switching between being a machinegun operator and repairman on a tank is a pretty effective for attack. I'm being way more tactical than I remember being on other FPS games, flanking people and all that, anticipating where people are going to come from next etc. It's damn important to know the map.

I keep giving the engineer a go, only to find no tanks of either affiliation anywhere in sight, at which point I switch back to medic (which I quite enjoy), when of course a whole platoon of the fuckers rolls over the horizon. VIDEO GAMES.

I think when you unlock some or the better recon upgrades you can treat it as a bit of a death match, a long distance one. That can really suck the life out of the game though, so many times I've seen the attacking force held at the top of the first hill just racking up deaths and losing the match very quickly.

On the other hand it does force the attacking team to think on their feet and try new tactics, that only works with cohesive teams so most of the time they are happy to sit there trading long range pot shots...:frusty:

My best scoring game was achieved by running after a tank with the repair tool... That's pretty strange for a game with so many guns in it.

S.

I'm definitely down with some bad company 2 gaming. should we all agree on "thumb" as a clan tag? or are their more names up in the air. I'm not partial to anything.

Other things have been suggested, but I have my heart set on Thumb.

Or "thumb" but with an uppercase t.

edit: Oh, just to be sure, we're surrounding the clan tag with stuff like .,;=[]|{{{§ Thumbs §}}}|[]=;., right?

Thumb would work. Though what are our options? Anything based on any Idle Thumbs injoke or other funnies?

Other injokes like: Wizard, Horsebag, FarCry 2, Hot Scoops, Boost, Strategy chocolate and more...

Other injokes like: Wizard, Horsebag, FarCry 2, Hot Scoops, Boost, Strategy chocolate and more...

Please, no! Let's just do Thumb or Thumbs.

Hi, I'm suggesting Thumb Fortress Too, frankly, I'm astonished that it doesn't exist already.

Perhaps we could declare war on the fans of some other podcast on the internet?

We tried it once, but it didn't go too well. Perhaps if we'd set up voice chat it would have been more fun.

Just a note to anyone who hasn't joined the BC2 games yet. We're doing voice chat over Skype, not the in-game system. So, better get that installed and running. If you see some thumbs playing, ask one of them to invite you.

Speaking of which,an argument for using TeamSpeak over Skype is that connecting to the chat is done by connecting to the server, not by being invited.

We tried it once, but it didn't go too well. Perhaps if we'd set up voice chat it would have been more fun.

This makes me sad that I was either not a listener yet or just hadn't figured out I could play TF2 when that was going on.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled should anything like that ever start up again.

By voice chat, are you referring to something like ventrillo as opposed to all talk? What are the pros/cons of using voice communication outside of the game?

Speaking of which,an argument for using TeamSpeak over Skype is that connecting to the chat is done by connecting to the server, not by being invited.

That would be a bonus. I am a bit rubbish at knowing how to do softwarey things and thus end up not being able to add people who message me (Sorry in arrears and in advance for this).

It remains beyond my skills to set the bloody thing up (looks towards the computer geeks).

This makes me sad that I was either not a listener yet or just hadn't figured out I could play TF2 when that was going on.

I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled should anything like that ever start up again.

By voice chat, are you referring to something like ventrillo as opposed to all talk? What are the pros/cons of using voice communication outside of the game?

Yeah, a few of the predominant multiplaying thumbs don't like TF2, or at least didn't manage to get into it. The only reason it happened was due to XBL being down on GTA day.

We use voice chat to co-ordinate, and have AWESOME conversations. We have tended towards using Skype for larger games and those which use GFWL.

That would be a bonus. I am a bit rubbish at knowing how to do softwarey things and thus end up not being able to add people who message me (Sorry in arrears and in advance for this).

It remains beyond my skills to set the bloody thing up (looks towards the computer geeks).

If we end up setting up a thumbs server I could put in teamspeak on it if we wanted to.