Sombre

Dwarf Fortress- Or how I learned to stop worrying and love the rum.

How did you make such absolute shit of your food supplies?:P

We have no farmers, one herbalist and the migrants that keep coming are never farmers or herbalists but fisherdwarves... and theres no fish.

Our farms weren't producing outside, we needed to irrigate inside, but that took way too long. Winter came so nothing to gather outside, so there ya go.

You must have the worst miners in the world. Put them in cages and laugh at them (with pixx).

I would totally listen to a podcast about Dwarf Fortress stories. I think Rabbit from GWJ touches on it from time to time, but this game has a depth I am interested by and have no interest in participating in.

*Idea Bulb*

*Runs off cackling maniacally*

Year 2:

Late Spring:

Monkeys! Monkeys! Monkeys! We're being overrun by Monkeys! They quickly learned not to run into a Dwarf's dining room, especially now that we have a taste for meat They managed to kill one of our still living pets. The good news is we have more meat, now offering monkey! Still no crops

Migrants have arrived! What? Amok damn them... 21 migrants, we are in no shape of handling this right now. Oh great, children, unproductive mouths to feed... you guys realize we almost resorted to cannibalism a couple of months ago?

Summer: Elven Traders! Praise Amok, maybe we can get some seeds that'll actually produce crops. While we don't have much in terms of production to trade, we have an excess of clothing since so many of perished, so their deaths are not completely in vain!

Apparently they didn't want our stuff so the broker seized essential items and probably started a war... super. We should have just taken everything in that case.

More migrants, ten of them, this is absurd we haven't even had our first crops produce anything(it's coming along) on our one outdoor farm. With luck two metal-smiths and a weapons-smith; we need to get an army and defenses up asap before the Elves come back!

Autumn: Our Butcher/Miner is dead, he was sent down to dig living quarters and apparently forgot an exit plan, so was left to starve to death. Our first underground farm is up after irragation of murkey pool was succesful!

More Migrants(8)! Great just before winter... Hope they brought some pets for food... And HOT SCOOPZ! A Master metalcrafter! No idea how our crap fortress attracted the likes of him. We also received a talent armorsmith\weaponsmith and a High Master Furnace Operator!

Winter: Our irrigation method in one large farm has proven a success, the very first crops are now being harvested for the winter, several other irrigation pools are being constructed! Despite many sleeping on floors and having nowhere to eat they are kept happy with the superior booze our high master brewer has been creating. Huzzah!

We are in no shape to defend ourselves from elves in the spring, should they even attack. With crops underground we plan to seal our selves off in hopes they will get bored and wander away if they arrive with intent to war in the spring. Currently a focus on wood gathering is being made as it is the one supply we cannot supply underground and is necessary to fuel the furnace for metalcrafting. If worse comes to worse, we will slowly build, isolated, from the outside world an army with superior weapons and armor, then dig our way up and slaughter any who intend us harm.

Let us hope it does not come to that.

Yeah this is going to be my last post, I was writing Year 3, then Year 4 just happened, the whole "story" of this place is starting to get to large. There is just a million things going on now, some interesting, others not, but it's a bit hard to communicate them in a condensed post and have it interesting,

Let me just say, thats the first two years, stuff happens, and just keeps happening. It's like a civilizations game where your so focused on a few units in the beginning and then before you know it your zoomed so far out that the little things don't seem to matter... only in DF they do or stuff goes really wrong, lol.

I've seen others write about DF, but it seems a challenge to do so and keep it interesting, I think you guys are right by saying a podcast would be a lot more interesting\appealing. Maybe someone some day will do it.

Possibility for fun incoming! This is the first one i've ever found:D

Cave.jpg

HA, dibs!

I found a similar thing last night!

Only my dwarf(and her kid) were mining straight down near a river because I was going to make some sort of water pump system and she opened up on the cavern literally right on the edge of a cliff, if she had mined one square over she would have fell to her death like 3 levels below.

It looks like there were wondrous gems and plans down there though.

It goes down 6 floors. Gold and gems and ore and....GIANT SPIDER WEBS.

I'm currently building a channel with drawbride to protect me!

Wow, with as much diversity as this game offers thats kind of amazing we found exactly the same thing(not the exact same place) within the same time frame.

I'm not sure those miners should take their kids with them. I just had a cave in and work had to be abandoned for the miner to find her missing child!

I'm not sure those miners should take their kids with them. I just had a cave in and work had to be abandoned for the miner to find her missing child!

Yeah I haven't figure out how to make a day care, so it's fine, they're dwarves.

I love reading these. Once my PC is fixed up I will start playing.

I'm not so sure about a podcast though. Written reports I can skip through or come back to later. A podcast... it would need excellent presentation and maybe a gimmick or too (Interview With a Dwarven Fortress Foreman?) to keep me listening.

Sold. ^

I've been wanting to get into DF too, but I currently don't see any way I could properly invest the time to learn everything. But I am digging these anecdotes, and I'm excited for the succession fort that is being planned. (I ended up reading through the entirety of Boatmurdered.)

Just downloaded the game and about to install Lazy Newb Pack , looking forward to this game.

You'll either delete it in three hours or we won't see you for months.

Strike the earth!

You'll either delete it in three hours or we won't see you for months.

Strike the earth!

Also, watch out for carp

Excerpts from the Dwarf Fortress wiki for adventure mode:

I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?

It's just a flesh wound!

Unfortunately, there is currently no way to get them back, but as long as you have at least one leg and one arm left you can actually do pretty well. First, get a crutch from somewhere, such as a general store, and make sure it's in one of your hands. Once you do that you should be able to stand back up again. You will notice that your speed is now much slower than before.

Now go find someplace reasonably safe and walk back and forth until your Crutch Walking skill gets up to Legendary or above. You will notice your speed increasing as your skill levels up until your speed is completely back to normal. As a bonus you'll probably see some stat increases as well. You can continue to dodge with a crutch just as well as before.

You can wield a sword, shield, and crutch all in one hand, so even if you are missing an arm then you're all set. If you are missing both arms but still have both legs then unfortunately you'll be limited to biting, dodging, and wrestling with legs. If you're missing both arms and one leg then your movement will be limited and you'll be limited to biting and wrestling with your one remaining leg. And if all limbs are missing then you'll be limited to rolling around on the ground biting things.

Though you might actually be able to do surprisingly well as a Legendary Biter, especially if you powerlevel your strength to the point where you can shake things around by the teeth ripping limbs off, if you lose both legs then your character is going to be severely limited just due to the poor movement rate, so at that point it's probably best to opt for retirement or a glorious death in battle.

Becoming a werebeast will enable you to regenerate limbs during the transformation to your animal form every Full Moon.

I REFUSE TO LET YOU DRAG ME BACK INTO DF BY BUMPING THIS THREAD

True story: When I was looking for roomies when moving to Portland, OR (which was a brief few months) I stumbled on a Craigslist entry that mentioned bonus points for knowing what Dwarf Fortress was. My email to the guys was a story about one of my forts dying to carp killing everyone and the dwarves getting depressed and having various tantrums / suicides, the latter including one infant.

And then they disregarded all other applicants and I moved in with those guys.

If I had to pick only one game to take with me to a deserted island, Dwarf Fortress would be my choice. It's been a few months since my most recent DF activity peak. I haven't played the most recent version(s) with minecarts and stuff, but I feel the wave coming again.

One of my latest forts went down pretty magnificently. I had a population of around 100 and I had settled in a haunted location. Filth rained down periodically and getting infections was not uncommon. Necromancers from a nearby tower arrived with groups of zombies, but they were either captured in cages or torn apart by weapon traps. A larger zombie invasion also took place, not long before the downfall. I had made more weapon traps as a response to the increased invader activity. Only a few zombies got through the traps, and my military took care of them easily.

A seemingly endless effort to clean the traps and haul the zombie remains into stockpiles (to get the bones for crafting etc.) was interrupted by an unexpected reanimation of all the corpses. Most of my population was hauling corpses and bodyparts as they all came back into unlife, attacking my dwarves. The resulting chaos was unlike anything I'd seen before. My militia was taking part in the labour, inactive and most without their weapons or armor. A few managed to get to the equipment stockpile, but their efforts were futile. Eventually the devastation, both physical and emotional, brought down the might of the Dwarves. No efforts to reclaim the fortress are planned.

True story: When I was looking for roomies when moving to Portland, OR (which was a brief few months) I stumbled on a Craigslist entry that mentioned bonus points for knowing what Dwarf Fortress was. My email to the guys was a story about one of my forts dying to carp killing everyone and the dwarves getting depressed and having various tantrums / suicides, the latter including one infant.

And then they disregarded all other applicants and I moved in with those guys.

That's awesome.

Also, stop talking about this, I love this game, but my visual side really wants graphics and a better interface that I'll never get, so I have to make a stand and not get sucked back in!