toblix

Mass Effect 2

Just finished it. Pretty cool, although a disappointment compared to the first game. While ME1 felt like a solid PC game, this one had console written all over it.

Just finished it. Pretty cool, although a disappointment compared to the first game. While ME1 felt like a solid PC game, this one had console written all over it.

Yeah, it's a shame that the PC version isn't quite up to snuff. I imagine the disparity between the two games is that ME1's PC version was given plenty of development time to get ported over to PC (didn't they have at least a year between 360 and PC release?) and thus came out feeling more polished.

That was unexpected and weird.

Also, I watched some variations on the end cinematic. It was disappointing to see that mostly it's just switched out character meshes.

If even Shephard can die, and since a third resurrection would be ultra lame, and therefore impossible in ME3, doesn't this mean we'll be playing someone else next time?

Nah, it just means you won't be able to import your dead Shepard. If your Shepard lives, their story continues. If they die, it ends. You can still play ME3, but it'll be alternate-history. More of a "what if?" than a continuation.

Nah, it just means you won't be able to import your dead Shepard. If your Shepard lives, their story continues. If they die, it ends. You can still play ME3, but it'll be alternate-history. More of a "what if?" than a continuation.

Spiderman what-if mode confirmed? Sold!

What was the previous DLC? there some some free DLC recently right? I downloaded and installed it, but haven't come around to actually play it.

The Kasumi thing was not really worth the money. Doing it after finishing the game just felt pointless. I hope they have something new to offer.

So is the typical DLC being offered for most games now a confirmed way of making money, or is it still being tried out?

What was the previous DLC? there some some free DLC recently right? I downloaded and installed it, but haven't come around to actually play it.
Firewalker may be the pack you're thinking of. It gave you the hammerhead hover tank, and had a few missions. Honestly, it felt like crap. The movement lacked any kind of tension as you could just tripple jump around the environment and change direction on a dime. The enemies were either too easy, or randomly too good as they fired heat seeking missiles that were barely visible. It basically felt like a prototype with polished graphics.

Firewalker may be the pack you're thinking of. It gave you the hammerhead hover tank, and had a few missions.

Hey, I downloaded that, too! And I never played it!

Did the environments of Firewalker feel expansive? That's the biggest loss from Mass Effect 1 to 2---no vehicles meant no big environments. There is nothing as breathtaking as the moon or Bring Down The Sky in Mass Effect 2.

Hey, I downloaded that, too! And I never played it!

Did the environments of Firewalker feel expansive? That's the biggest loss from Mass Effect 1 to 2---no vehicles meant no big environments. There is nothing as breathtaking as the moon or Bring Down The Sky in Mass Effect 2.

It is literally a single path track. I'm in the same boat where I really liked that aspect of Mass Effect 1. If they made a Mass Effect game about being a space realtor who landed on empty planets and then used the dialogue system to scare off squatters, sell land, and resolve disputes brought to the Homeowner's Association I would play the heck out of it.

If they made a Mass Effect game about being a space realtor who landed on empty planets and then used the dialogue system to scare off squatters, sell land, and resolve disputes brought to the Homeowner's Association I would play the heck out of it.

That's an awesome idea, Joflar.

"I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite luxury apartment complex on the Citadel."

It is literally a single path track. I'm in the same boat where I really liked that aspect of Mass Effect 1. If they made a Mass Effect game about being a space realtor who landed on empty planets and then used the dialogue system to scare off squatters, sell land, and resolve disputes brought to the Homeowner's Association I would play the heck out of it.

That sounds like something the mod community would do if they opened up an SDK. Have you seen the fallout 3 mod Real-Time Settler?

Skimmed through the thread, but it was mostly covered in black bars so I didn't get much out of it. How is the infiltrator class in Mass Effect 2? Will choosing it make the combat a pain in the ass? I played through the first game as a soldier and the sniper rifle felt completely useless most of the time. Is it any better in Mass Effect 2 or is it still the most inaccurate gun in the game? Can I live without the assault rifle and heavy weapons? In Mass Effect 1 I had a full biotic and a full tech squadmates because I didn't like casting spells and it worked out great. Will that still work or would I need extra firepower if I decided to play as an infiltrator?

Skimmed through the thread, but it was mostly covered in black bars so I didn't get much out of it. How is the infiltrator class in Mass Effect 2? Will choosing it make the combat a pain in the ass? I played through the first game as a soldier and the sniper rifle felt completely useless most of the time. Is it any better in Mass Effect 2 or is it still the most inaccurate gun in the game? Can I live without the assault rifle and heavy weapons? In Mass Effect 1 I had a full biotic and a full tech squadmates because I didn't like casting spells and it worked out great. Will that still work or would I need extra firepower if I decided to play as an infiltrator?

It's decent, I played it. You'll likely still use pistols more throughout the game though with ammo being low in the sniper.

I didn't play infiltrator but got a sniper rifle later and really liked using it.

I played infiltrator my first time through and honestly I think it's the easiest class to play. You can definitely use your sniper rifle all or most of the time; as mentioned, the most difficult thing about it is actually the extremely limited amount of ammo (e.g. with the Space Barret, you get about 12 shots).

The biggest change--which isn't really discussed anywhere unfortunately, in favor of the "infiltrators can cloak now!"--is that when you zoom in with a sniper rifle as an infiltrator you get a few seconds of bullettime (based on the level of your class skill), which allows you to hide in cover, pop out for a few moments of real time, zoom in, headshot, drop back to cover, all while letting your squad take fire. Because of this if you use cover intelligently you almost never have to worry about actually getting shot (except when you have to run out to pick up more ammo).

You don't need any other firepower, either--once you get the Space Barret (the second upgrade to your sniper rifle, the first is a mostly useless "quick fire" gun I never used) you can one-shot most enemies with ease. Even before that the starting sniper rifle is pretty powerful. And you still have the cloak if you really get in trouble.

In summary: ME2 infiltrators are awesome. :tup:

Yeah but a soldier gets bullet time on everything, including sniper rifles.

Yeah but a soldier gets bullet time on everything, including sniper rifles.

It might be worth it if the bullet time lasted more than 3 seconds. I'm sure spending skill points on it helps, but I found it to be one of the lamest powers in the game, and it made playing a soldier extremely boring.

I decided to play as an infiltrator. Good thing most of the battles are designed so that they can be dealt almost entirely with a sniper rifle (compared to Mass Effect 1 where, occasionally, enemies were in your face immediately after the cutscene, which you had to watch over and over again if you died).

I have a feeling that I would be using tactical cloak and fireball a lot more if was playing with a gamepad. Reaching for num keys just doesn't feel that natural to me yet and so, for the most parts, I'm not using any of my talents in the battles. I will probably learn to use them better when I start to get raped by my enemies harder.

Just finished this yesterday. What a polished piece of gaming. I liked most of the changes Bioware made compared to the original (especially the ones that made the actual gameplay not be shit this time around). The recruitment and loyalty missions were mostly very well done and it was interesting to learn about your crew members' past. I'm really looking forward to playing Mass Effect 3 now.

While I'm waiting for my copy of Starcraft II to arrive, I might actually want to play Mass Effect 2 some more. Are any of the paid DLC worth getting? I think someone somewhere enjoyed Overlord. Could this be true?

Just finished this yesterday. What a polished piece of gaming. I liked most of the changes Bioware made compared to the original (especially the ones that made the actual gameplay not be shit this time around). The recruitment and loyalty missions were mostly very well done and it was interesting to learn about your crew members' past. I'm really looking forward to playing Mass Effect 3 now.

While I'm waiting for my copy of Starcraft II to arrive, I might actually want to play Mass Effect 2 some more. Are any of the paid DLC worth getting? I think someone somewhere enjoyed Overlord. Could this be true?

I heard Overlord was good, but I also heard it's not incredibly rewarding to play out of the regular cycle of the game.