Korax

Battlefield: Bad Company 2

SDEuNdYWT1o

Excuse me, I must go and change my pants. Edited by Lord Korax

Yup. The GTTV reveal was stunning in so many ways. GOTY material right from the trailers.

Are there any ways of getting into the PC beta other than preordering? I preordered the 360 version yesterday but the guy had no idea that there even WAS a PC beta. I got a code from Gamespot for the PS3 version and it was pretty awesome, so if you can get ahold of a code, I encourage you to do so.

Are there any ways of getting into the PC beta other than preordering? I preordered the 360 version yesterday but the guy had no idea that there even WAS a PC beta. I got a code from Gamespot for the PS3 version and it was pretty awesome, so if you can get ahold of a code, I encourage you to do so.

I preordered, I might cancel the order when I'm in and get the game from another retailer, I've seen it cheaper than they want.

Those sneaky bastards... http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62132

In summary: the 360 multiplayer demo is out for Gold members, PS3 on the 4th in Europe, 11th in NA, and the PC Beta starts today. I'm pleasantly surprised they launched this early (the demo was expected next week) and I can't wait until it finishes download. Download is around 1.5 gigs.

Edit: Also, the servers are down because it's DICE, and they will always be down anytime something gets released from these guys. Doesn't bode well for the actual release.

Edited by Squid Division

Well, I'll take that the Multiplayer demo you're talking about will only be available to pre-orders... at least that's what the Steam product page is saying.

Well, I'll take that the Multiplayer demo you're talking about will only be available to pre-orders... at least that's what the Steam product page is saying.

PC beta: preorders and those able to get a code, 360 demo, all gold subscribers

Edit: Also, the servers are down because it's DICE, and they will always be down anytime something gets released from these guys. Doesn't bode well for the actual release.

I've come to expect this from any new game that I expect to have popular multiplayer. They underestimate the server load, and it takes a few days to correct.

The good thing is that this probably means that most problems will have been corrected by the time the actual release comes around.

Eh, I wouldn't count on that. DICE can barely keep the servers up for 1943 6 months after release. They might be moving those over to prepare for BC2 though.

I did get a match or two in earlier on the 360, so it's working if you're persistent enough. It's a different level than what the PS3 beta was, but oh man is it better. So many vehicles.

A problem I have is the goofy control scheme they're trying to push. I just reverted mine to 'Bad Company 1' in the settings because I really liked the 1943 controls. Also it's kinda hard to spot people out sometimes, it definitely suffers from that next-gen everything-being-the-same-color.

Pro-tips that people might not realize if they haven't played Battlefield before or the PS3 beta:

• Hit 'Back' or 'Select' to tag an enemy you have your sights over. This points him out to your team so they can kill him if you can't. It also allows snipers/UAVs to serve as actual recon units.
  • When someone shows up in a vehicle and is tearing up your base, jump on one of the stationary guided rocket launchers. They typically take 1-2 shots to kill something big.
  • Always spawn in a squad. Always. This allows you to spawn in the frontlines and means someone might spawn on you to give you back up or jump on the machine gun turret in your vehicle or jump out and repair you.

Played a little of the beta just now, it feels pretty cool, the standard sniper is decent, though it doesn't pack the punch I would like, though it's a good assist weapon.

So the PC beta won't be available at all to those who don't pre-order?

Also, anybody knows if the PC version of Battlefield 1943 got canned?

So the PC beta won't be available at all to those who don't pre-order?

Also, anybody knows if the PC version of Battlefield 1943 got canned?

Pretty much and no it's still due out.

Could someone make a short unordered list enumerating the key features of this game that makes it different from, say, Battlefield 2042? I've always thought DICE's war games, all the way back from 1942, to be very similar. Does this one stand out in any particular way?

I haven't played any other Battlefield games besides 1943, but it does, like 1943 and BC1, have destructible environments. I think it uses the same engine that Red Faction Guerilla did. It's amazing how much fun this makes the game as I'm always making doors in buildings with my grenade launchers, surprising the enemy team trying to defend or plant the bomb.

One thing I'm really annoyed by is that the Repair Tool can overheat, which sucks. It didn't in 1943 or in the PS3 beta, did it in the original Bad Company?

The repair tool didn't overheat in BC1. At least not in single player. I didn't play too much BC1 multiplayer.

As for the engine, it's DICE's own Frostbite engine, created for BC1. It was updated to sort of a v1.5 for BF1943, and BC2 will have more improvements on that.

The main bullet point seems to be the destructible buildings. I can't think of many multiplayer shooters that allow complete annihilation of structures, and the ability to blow apart walls to make paths or find enemies adds an interesting wrinkle.

There's also the squad mechanics. As far as I can remember, only BC1 and BF2142 had any sort of squad combat.

The repair tool didn't overheat in BC1. At least not in single player. I didn't play too much BC1 multiplayer.

As for the engine, it's DICE's own Frostbite engine, created for BC1. It was updated to sort of a v1.5 for BF1943, and BC2 will have more improvements on that.

The main bullet point seems to be the destructible buildings. I can't think of many multiplayer shooters that allow complete annihilation of structures, and the ability to blow apart walls to make paths or find enemies adds an interesting wrinkle.

There's also the squad mechanics. As far as I can remember, only BC1 and BF2142 had any sort of squad combat.

Yeah BC2 is frostbite v2, the main strengths of which are:

Real-Time Procedural Shading

Texturing Techniques

Large Destruction Landscapes

Destructable Objects (Buildings, Vehicles, Trees, etc.)

Dynamic Skies

Dynamic Lighting

The lighting is utterly fantastic, Also it was further optimised to support quad cores fully.

BF1942 thru BF2142 all featured squad play as the main game mechanic. Really dice is marketing they're old features like they're brand new, but I'm ok with that because I was still playing bf2 mods till this beta opened up hoping for a new shiny version. This is not BF3 (rumored to be in the works) there are too many features missing for my taste but at lest it will quell the hunger for a squad based fps.

Because its in beta right now its very buggy so hopeful we will see some real polish before march. That being said this game is amazing logged 20hours the first 2 days it was out reached max rank/unlocks for the beta and keep going back for more.

Oh and toblix this game is more about action then previous titles, you can now spawn on any one of your squad mates instead of just the squad leader. Pick the closest squady to the front lines. Also the rush mode forces your combat to happen in a smaller area.

Large parts of the map are locked off to players till one objective zone is taken then the defender team is forced to fall back to the next base of objectives. This creates a narrow pathway where combat ensues. Apparently I'm boring because I preferred the older slower style where you had to plan where you would strike from and the badies could be around/on top of/sniping you from, any building/hilltop/trees/little pond by the road and what have you. In this mode its very directed, Ok there is A and B site, we know where the defenders are going to be go get them repeat/swap teams.

Still as much griping I do about the gamers of today having no patience to play a good game the game is tons of fun.

Edited by Tibz

Battlefield has changed quite a bit over time, although it's been very iterative so if you just jump into any they'll all seem quite similar.

For example Battlefield 2 put a lot more emphasis on squad/overall command and how they interact with each other, then Battlefield 2142 went ahead and massively expanded the unlock system. Both obviously refined things — I much prefer the feeling of vehicles and gunplay in 2142 over 2 over 1942.

Main things that I can see BC2 has done are removing the dedicated commander role, going mental with the unlocks, refining a lot of the mechanics, and of course introducing the destructible environments.

Oh, and I'm way more looking forward to the traditional Conquest game mode which is going to be in the final game. Much bigger maps combined with TF2-style area capture. :tup:

Battlefield has changed quite a bit over time, although it's been very iterative so if you just jump into any they'll all seem quite similar.

For example Battlefield 2 put a lot more emphasis on squad/overall command and how they interact with each other, then Battlefield 2142 went ahead and massively expanded the unlock system.

It looks like BC2 has toned down some of Battlefield 2's main attributes by removing the dedicated commander role, gone mental with the unlocks, refined a lot of the mechanics, and of course introduced the destructible environments.

That's from the perspective of a PC Battlefield player, anyway.

That's a fair assumption, though there are squad mechanics, though there is no specific commander of said squads. The model of a squad is a group of 4 people, any member of a squad can spawn on another, targets can be given by any member so co-ordinating is easy.

A fairly good tactic is to have a sniper, who is holding back act as a secondary spawn point/ support fire, then the other 3 playing assault classes (Medic, Assault and Engineer to an extent) storm a building with a CP, blowing out a wall so the sniper can give covering fire. however this sort of tactic doesn't work so well with many randomers, as they seem to play for themselves opposed to for the team.

EDIT: to those guys in the beta, what is your account name, I am Patters.

Oh, and I'm way more looking forward to the traditional Conquest game mode which is going to be in the final game. Much bigger maps combined with TF2-style area capture. :tup:

:tup::tup: looking forward to the old style play

Not to sound to much like a PC elitist but I am one so anything I say will sound like that, do you find "dumbing down" of fps games a bit condescending or am I too crotchety and its in fact much better to have a more stream lined game aka "action packed"?

-Classes boiled down to 4 instead of bf2 7 classes

-squad leader tactics removed due to spawning on any one you please

-smaller squads 4 instead of 6

-no menu commands for squads (I know bc2 has some squad commands but you have to use the same key for spotting targets as well as "hey I want to repair your tank" or "can I have a ride" can be kinda annoying when your spotting a sniper for your team and your friend runs past your screen and you end up asking him for a medkit)

-no commander

could go on ad infinitum, but really its nit picky stuff. Am I the only one that feels games are becoming too impatient?