JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

With the release of The Witness and now Firewatch on Xbox One, and also the new smaller S version, I'm starting to think that maybe, maybe I should get one.

I couldn't find an Xbone thread - do we even have one? I was thinking originally that I'd forgo this generation and just pump up my PC. Problem is, I really don't like playing games at my desk and upgrading EVERYTHING in my PC (the best component is a second hand GTX 960, everything else is from 2008!) would be a grand, minimum. Not worth it for me atm. A few months ago I drew up a list of games I fancy for both PS4 and Xbone, but now the Sony exclusives I'm interested in have dwindled to The Last Guardian.

I'm not bothered about 4K but the smaller console would be nice. The real pull is backwards compatibility because I got rid of my 360 but kept the games. I was hoping MS would one day put out a 360 app for Windows but that's probably never going to happen. Am I going to play those old games? Am I just paying for the comforting knowledge that I could play them? I'm feeling like The Orange Box and a decent Black Friday deal could make me pull the trigger. The only 'new' games I want are pretty much The Witness and Firewatch! I wouldn't mind a Forza as I loved 2. Rocket League and MGS V might be interesting. Has anybody played IDARB? And Cuphead looks BEAootiful.

Bah. I'll be getting an NX too - do I really need xbones? I'd have to box up my PS3 (which I never use but keep out JUST IN CASE we ever want to get some 7-player JSJ going at the myriad sexy parties we throw en mi casa B) ...which has happened...twice ever?:(). I guess I could lose my bluray player, though? Somebody talk me out of it. Definitely don't link me to amazing Rare Replay/Forza Horizon 3 bundles.

I would have to pump up my ram to a whopping 8gb which would be cheap enough, though my CPU is well below par and the motherboard is also limiting. I actually bought FW and it wouldn't start so I got it refunded.

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin is $9.99 at Humble right now

Is DS2 any easier to penetrate than the first? I keep hitting walls on my play through of the latter. Maybe I could circle back around to the initial installment?

Is DS2 any easier to penetrate than the first? I keep hitting walls on my play through of the latter. Maybe I could circle back around to the initial installment?

It's more linear, by and large.  You have a hub, with spokes going off it, that have a pretty natural order to clear.  The weapon upgrade system is less complex (far fewer upgrade stones).  But otherwise, it's still pretty obtuse in ways. 

It was the first one I got into, but part of that was a difficult aborted 1st playthrough, a break, and then running through it once I had the confidence of knowing where things are. Definitely don't be afraid to play with a guide, advice, etc. Very fun and the Scholar addition has some lovely later areas.

On the plus side, DS2 has the easiest respecs, so you can feel a bit for free to experiment with your skills and you can always undo if you need to.

Devil Survivor Overclocked is super cheap in the Halloween eShop, does anybody vouch for it? I've only play Persona games, so I'm not sure I'll like this Shin Megami game.

4 hours ago, Tanukitsune said:

Devil Survivor Overclocked is super cheap in the Halloween eShop, does anybody vouch for it? I've only play Persona games, so I'm not sure I'll like this Shin Megami game.

I know a lot of people loved them, but I couldn't get into the Devil Survivor games. SRPG with more standard turn-based battles, with the skeeve turned way up, especially relative to the rest of the SMT games.

The skeeve bit is no joke. I can't think of those games without the phrase "boob shelf" popping into my head because the lead artist is seeming incapable of drawing a women in a way that doesn't make them look like they have a pair of watermelons glued to an area that most people would think of as the upper stomach area, but the artist seems to think is the chest. There's also a good bit of "wacky hijinks" like walking in on the women (most of whom are teenagers) in the game changing.

It's a real shame as the game itself would be one of the better SMT games without it.

Hmm, when I read "skeeve" I thought you meant "creepy", maybe I'll just get Corpse Party Blood Drive instead.... it's more horror themed, AFAIK.

There's all together three SMT games on discount in 3DS eShop in the Halloween sale.

Are all of those so called spinoffs then?

Yup. There's only like 5-ish mainline SMT games and of those only 1 or 2 is one 3DS. Of the 3DS spin offs I would say only Persona Q is a must play and even then only if you've played either Persona 3 or 4. But SMT IV is a solid if comparatively underwhelming game that's worth $10 if it's on sale. SMT IV: Apocalypse is an all around improvement but is also a step back in the ways it panders to the otaku crowd. I would still put it above most JRPGs on the skeeve-o-meter though from what I've played..

Does anybody know if there is going to be a Halloween sale on Steam? I'd hate to buy a "SPOOPY" game only to have it got 50% off the next day.

On 10/25/2016 at 5:04 AM, Tanukitsune said:

Does anybody know if there is going to be a Halloween sale on Steam? I'd hate to buy a "SPOOPY" game only to have it got 50% off the next day.

Don't know how reliable my sources are, but I hear there's one IN THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW!!!!! http://store.steampowered.com/sale/halloweensale/

Has anybody played "Zombie Panic in Wonderland DX"? It's on sale for the 3DS and the "Wonderland" is title already makes me want it.

I remember that game from Wiiware. Was nothing special of I remember correctly. I don't know what they added to the 3DS version.

That Unreal Humble Bundle is a bit tasty, huh? If anybody wants to play Killing Floor with me - and teach me the ropes in the process - that'd be ace :tup:

3 hours ago, Trip Hazard said:

That Unreal Humble Bundle is a bit tasty, huh? If anybody wants to play Killing Floor with me - and teach me the ropes in the process - that'd be ace :tup:

I got all excited by the idea of mentoring someone in KF, then I realized its KF1 and not KF2. :getmecoat

Another Steam sale going on. I'm not sure if I'm in a different mood or what, but I'm seeing a lot of stuff on the list this time that I really want.

Ooh nice, I've been waiting for Doom to hit 20 bucks.

Also! Over on itch, a bunch of devs have put together a bundle of 151 (!) games to raise money for the ACLU and Planned Parenthood:

https://itch.io/b/149/a-good-bundle

It's pay-what-you-want, with a couple of different price tiers ($20 to get the whole set). Some of the highlights are Proteus, Gone Home, Read Only Memories, Panoramical, FJORDS, Hero Generations, The Novelist, Catlateral Damage, Sokobond, and Catacomb Kids. Check it out!