JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Steam sale.  woo.  gaben.  memes. 

Interesting deals I've seen so far. 

If you don't already own Banner Saga 1, it's practically free if you buy the Banner Saga bundle ($1.30 more than buying BS2 alone). 

New Doom is 40 percent off.

I'll probably buy Helldivers finally (I didn't buy it the last time it was on sale, and regretted it recently when I was really in the mood for something like it). 

Steam sale.  woo.  gaben.  memes. 

lol pretty much

If you buy helldivers let's playyyyyy. I never got my fill of that game, mostly 'cause I got super distracted.

Same deal where everything is discounted the same throughout the sale?

Yep.  And using the discovery cue for free cards, again, which is the lamest most time consuming thing they've ever done for sale cards. 

lol pretty much

If you buy helldivers let's playyyyyy. I never got my fill of that game, mostly 'cause I got super distracted.

The kiddo was wanting to play something with me for Father's Day, and we realized we owned almost none of the same online co-op games.  So we made a list of stuff we should get in the sale, of which Helldivers was up there.  If you see me on playing, it will probably be with her, just hit us up and see if we've got a slot.  I think you can do local + online with Helldivers.  If so, then we only need 2 copies for her, her hubby, the lady and I all to play. 

The kiddo was wanting to play something with me for Father's Day, and we realized we owned almost none of the same online co-op games.  So we made a list of stuff we should get in the sale, of which Helldivers was up there.  If you see me on playing, it will probably be with her, just hit us up and see if we've got a slot.  I think you can do local + online with Helldivers.  If so, then we only need 2 copies for her, her hubby, the lady and I all to play. 

I would also like to get back into Helldivers. I fell out during winter break and never came back properly.

Bjorn, a warning that same-screen coop shares the same profile, so only one of you will be earning experience and unlocking weapons. Depending on your available funds, it might be worth it to buy some DLC items to mix things up, else it's going to be a boring initial few hours until you're able to equip starkly different loadouts.

lol pretty much

Same. Although I'm about to go on vacation, but if people are still playing in mid-July hit me up!

I put already a lot of money in GOG's summer sale that just ended, in Steam's summer sale pretty much only DooM 4 is interesting deal. Just released and already -40% in price.

Yeah I snapped Doom up because I've been hearing such good things and 40% is a huge discount for something so new.

RE: Helldivers

I hit the max level a while ago, stopped for a bit to play DOOM, then decided to reset and start over again cause I just like playing.  I bought all the DLC day one so if anyone would like to see some of it first hand and get a recommendation, I'm more than happy to accommodate.  Considering the DLCs are 50% off, I'd actually recommend NOT getting the deluxe edition because several of the DLC packs kind of suck and you're better off picking and choosing.

Did you just play Helldivers alone? I lost interest after a while because randoms don't like stealth tactics.

I sometimes play alone if I don't have a lot of time and don't want to abandon a group before a planet can be finished but for the most part I like helping out lower level people.  I don't bother with "stealth tactics" either.  I won't actively trigger alarms and will try to eliminate scouts before they trigger them, but I run when prudent and fight when necessary.

I put already a lot of money in GOG's summer sale that just ended, in Steam's summer sale pretty much only DooM 4 is interesting deal. Just released and already -40% in price.

I've had my eye on a few things and decided to pull the trigger, meaning I've spent more this sale than in the last 3 or 4. Now I have Dead Rising 3, which I wanted to play since 4 was announced, and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, which appears to be a rotten port but I'm looking forward to trying to play it with my wife.

I've had my eye on a few things and decided to pull the trigger, meaning I've spent more this sale than in the last 3 or 4. Now I have Dead Rising 3, which I wanted to play since 4 was announced, and Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires, which appears to be a rotten port but I'm looking forward to trying to play it with my wife.

Very tempted to get the Dead Rising bundle, which I think is about $26. Loved the first Dead Rising but couldn't really get into DR2 for whatever reason. After seeing the trailer for 4 I really want to give 2 and 3 a shot.

I've heard good things about DR2:Off the Record, so I was tempted to get the whole package as well, but I realize I'm probably not going to have time to play DR3 as it is.

If anybody is after an fun - but old and somewhat obtuse - CRPG then I recommend Wizardry 8. The usual rules with old games apply: save often in different slots, and read up on how things work before you take the plunge. A mod to speed up enemy movement and attack animations is an absolute necessity, as well.

I decided to return Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires and get it for Xbox One instead. I knew ahead of time that people were saying it was a bad port, and I thought I could handle it, but I couldn't. It didn't have my screen resolution (1680x1050) as an option, the controller was setup Japanese style (A cancel and B accept) and kept resetting when I tried to fix it, and it didn't like to recognize the second controller either. Turns out you can get an X1 disk from Amazon for not too much more, so we'll just play it there.

Has anybody noticed that Steam is doing a few of special bundles with HUGE discounts? Did these exist before the Summer sale and will they exist after it? Probably not, I'm looking a few with 95% off!

They seem to be for cheap indie games, but I'm pretty curious about these bundles, some indie companies seem to be selling their whole library for a few dollars!

Hadn't noticed those. Could you provide a link to a couple of those?

So far, I have bought House of the Dying Sun and Batman: Arkham Latest.

There's also Civ V complete for 92% off, making it $3.29. I already own everything besides Brave New World, but buying that separate would be $7.49. I think XCOM was the same way for me last summer where I just wanted Enemy Within, but it was cheaper to just buy everything.

Has anybody noticed that Steam is doing a few of special bundles with HUGE discounts? Did these exist before the Summer sale and will they exist after it? Probably not, I'm looking a few with 95% off!

They seem to be for cheap indie games, but I'm pretty curious about these bundles, some indie companies seem to be selling their whole library for a few dollars!

The RPG Heroes bundle is on sale for $.57. I don't understand how that even works. All but one of the products are on sale individually for more than that. I understand saving with a bundle but that seems extreme.

There's also Civ V complete for 92% off, making it $3.29. I already own everything besides Brave New World, but buying that separate would be $7.49. I think XCOM was the same way for me last summer where I just wanted Enemy Within, but it was cheaper to just buy everything.

I think this is a new thing? They adjust bundle prices if you already own things in them. I remember being really frustrated that it was cheaper to buy the GOTY edition instead of just picking up the expansions I didn't have. Cool to see they did something about that.

Another suggestion from the sale, Our Darker Purpose is on sale for $2.24 (85 percent off). 

It's a roguelike with a...i don't know, Addams Family vibe, kind of?  You progress though an orphanage where the children have taken over, lord of the flies like, and have to fight your way to the top.   I played about a dozen hours of it, and liked several things it was doing.  I ultimately found the balance too hard, I couldn't ever finish a run.  But I know they kept making balance changes to it for months after I quit playing.  If you like oddball roguelikes, it's certainly worth checking out at that price.