JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I really liked Gunslinger, it's that rare game that nails the "B movie" formula for a game.  Mechanically it's competent enough to be a lot of fun to play, but the story is the best kind of self aware western...not camp, but certainly playing with the tropes of the genre in a fun way.

Well, it's right next to Blood Dragon chronologically so we'll see how they compare in that aspect when I get that far (in about three years)!

I loved Gunslinger, possibly even more because I could beat it in like 5 hours. That game was a super tight, fun, brief experience. Absolutely nailed the genre feeling as well. I want more games like it to exist.

Still happy with the Monthly Humble Bundle.  This month came with a twist though, Humble is now funding mini-experimetnal games which are (for now) only available to Bundle subscribers (I don't know if new subscribers get the already released game or not). 

I was(and still am) extremely apprehensive about subscribing to the Monthly Humble Bundle because it will just blow up my catalog of already 600+ Steam games to ungodly amounts and make me feel even worse that I cannot finish them.

However the quality of these games keeps getting better I might just subscribe and accept the guilt that comes with it. 

That's Mike Bithell. No indie dev would be so arrogant as to name their lead character after themself ;)

Right you are. Dunno why I thought he was Tom.

Just to chip in on Volume: strong game - though I think it loses its charm quickly - but the voice acting is *fucking atrocious*. Not from Danny Wallace - the man is an actor who can act - but the lead is a YouTuber and CHRIST. I can't play that game anymore. I tried to put up with it, but nope.

Same here, so far the only game I enjoyed from the Humble Monthly that I didn't have already is Titan Souls.... 

I didn't realise his new game was even out. Haven't heard anyone talk about it.

Just to chip in on Volume: strong game - though I think it loses its charm quickly - but the voice acting is *fucking atrocious*. Not from Danny Wallace - the man is an actor who can act - but the lead is a YouTuber and CHRIST. I can't play that game anymore. I tried to put up with it, but nope.

I wonder how they justified that. Did his inclusion really drive sales that much?

so apparently Fallout 4's season pass is going to be $50?

anywho, i was going to wait for the GOTY edition and hope to pay $60 for everything, but not sure if that'll happen anytime soon (usually Bethesda has that version out around a year after initial release). that said, Newegg is essentially doing that deal right now for the PC version.

so if you're one of the rare few like me that hasn't played this game yet, might be time to bite.

Sega has a bundle of free games on Steam right now, including Golden Axe and Jet Set Radio.

That's...generous! Only yesterday I received Mega Games 2 from ebay to play Golden Axe. This free one comes in the Sega Classics 'wrapper' with the other titles greyed out. It seems that tomorrow they'll have Streets of Rage 2(!), Binary Domain and Condemned: Criminal Origins for free too.

Is this the future; the evolution of the humble bundle? Free games? How long before marketing budgets are apportioned to 'pay' players by the hour for engaging with their brand?

EDIT. Storybundle have a book bundle up at the moment with some interesting things. https://storybundle.com/games

That's...generous! Only yesterday I received Mega Games 2 from ebay to play Golden Axe. This free one comes in the Sega Classics 'wrapper' with the other titles greyed out. It seems that tomorrow they'll have Streets of Rage 2(!), Binary Domain and Condemned: Criminal Origins for free too.

It looks like the other free bundles they are going to offer may be predicated on playing or owning some of the other games that they have on sale. 

Is this the future; the evolution of the humble bundle? Free games? How long before marketing budgets are apportioned to 'pay' players by the hour for engaging with their brand?

EDIT. Storybundle have a book bundle up at the moment with some interesting things. https://storybundle.com/games

Oh awesome! I've been wanting that Shadow of the Colossus book as well as Second Quest. A few of the others sound good too!

The second round of Sega's giveaways is up and the process is a little different - you have to input your email address on their temp website and then they send you the Steam codes. On Sunday the games change to Gunstar Heroes, Renegade Ops and Viking Battle for Asgard.

I liked Viking way more than I expected to, back in the day. It's not, you know, a good game, but there's something compelling about it.

I liked Viking way more than I expected to, back in the day. It's not, you know, a good game, but there's something compelling about it.

I completely agree.  I rented it back when I was a Gamefly user.  I had zero expectations when I got it but I ended up completing it and then some.

so apparently Fallout 4's season pass is going to be $50?

anywho, i was going to wait for the GOTY edition and hope to pay $60 for everything, but not sure if that'll happen anytime soon (usually Bethesda has that version out around a year after initial release). that said, Newegg is essentially doing that deal right now for the PC version.

so if you're one of the rare few like me that hasn't played this game yet, might be time to bite.

I think they might have changed the listing since you posted it, as it now says "DICE's Game of the Year," referring to that award it won the other day but not to any extra content over and above the base game?

What does everybody think of the latest "Humble Indie Bundle"? Sunless Sea, Trine 3,  Else,Heart {Break}, Never Alone, Outlast, Retro Rampage and Doorkickers. It's looking pretty good, I really wanted to try Sunless Sea at least.

Sunless Sea just had a free weekend that left me pretty lukewarm about it.  It's the kind of game I can see some people loving, but it just didn't hit those notes for me.

It is tempting for Trine 3 and Else.Heart though.  I've heard complaints about Trine 3 being unfinished, which is the only reason I hadn't bought it, but in a Bundle I don't really care. 

I'm really tempted by it. Not so much for Sunless Sea. Tried it out on the free weekend and it's very much not for me. Else Heart.Break() and Doorkickers have my interest though.