JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I don't think it's necessary, especially if you think you aren't interested in the genre in general. I think it stands on its own enough that you won't be totally baffled by it without any other knowledge.

The premise was good enough by itself to buy. Going to play through it with the SO sometime this year, likely after we finish Life is Strange (and then Firewatch!)

Found this today on an eBay key reseller's page.  Great deal, totes legit.

post-33601-0-72297800-1453837525_thumb.jpg

I just noticed there's a Far Cry sale on the PSN store. I've got very limited experience with the series, having only really played the original and then a bit of 4 which I didn't like. Got Blood Dragon via PS+ but haven't played yet.

Which would be the best game to start on, knowing I won't be able to mod anything?

Far Cry 2 Ultimate is $5.25 and the same for 3 is $12.50.

If you didn't like 4 but you still want to play Far Cry for Thumbs-related reasons, then just go with Far Cry 2. FC3 and FC4 are quite similar.

A big part was I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything that was happening.

The enthusiasm people, namely the Thumbs, have for the series really makes me want to give it a fair go. At $5, I can handle potential disappointment.

Thanks for the input!

Far Cry 2 plays very differently than 3 or 4, even though quite a lot of the seeds of those games are present in it.

I also attempted to go back to it within the past 2 years or so, and came away feeling really queasy like I was playing it through a fisheye or something. That made me really sad, because I was in lockstep with Thumbs on it well before I knew Idle Thumbs existed. Love that game.

I just beat Demon Gaze, which is like "My First Wizardry", not in the sense that it's easier, but it is easy to digest and understand, which is good because now I feel more prepared to play a more "hardcore" Wizardry game like Elminage.

There are no class changes, but you can access all classes from the start and there is no worrying about your specs or alignment. The games main features is that it has artifact that allow you to use skills from other classes leasing to slightly game breaking combination and the capture and use of demons which give you certain stats boosts and power and even fight in the battle with you, for example Mercury will randomly heal you in battle and even has a health regeneration spell.

I know feel ready to play other Wizardry style games, even the actual Wizardry series?

I was going to buy an XCOM key from humble, but remembered 10 minutes too late as I always do. The new bundle is quite good though, you get Grow Home and Rayman Origins in the $1 tier!

Call of Juarez is also really good.  Totally fun western, not too long, well worth picking up. 

Steam's got a Lunar New Year sale going on right now.  I believe the format is the same as the last two sales (as in no flash sales).  There's a choose your own adventure meta game where you pick from two options which gives you a list of games that share a theme.  Then you can pick two more options to get more lists.

Still happy with the Monthly Humble Bundle.  This month came with a twist though, Humble is now funding mini-experimetnal games which are (for now) only available to Bundle subscribers (I don't know if new subscribers get the already released game or not). 

Humble Originals are exclusive games developed specifically for Humble Monthly subscribers. These are game ideas that are a little risky, a little experimental, and a lot of fun! We allow developers to explore their favorite ideas and turn them into Humble Originals so that you can indulge yourself in a unique Humble treat!

The first one is The Elephant in the Room, by the devs who did the Saturday Morning RPG. 

In Elephant in the Room you are the elephant in the room. Literally. It's up to you to get out of the house without being acknowledged. Use your powerful pachyderm skills to sneak around and make your way out. Your trunk is a versatile tool you can use to suck, blow, or move things around. You'll probably break a lot of things. Good luck!

Otherwise the bundle had:

Dropsy (yah!  super excited for a hugventure)

Alien Isolation (already owned, make a good gift)

Broken Age (already owned, make a good gift)

Titan Souls (yah! Been on my wishlist since it came out)

Volume (no idea what this is)

Penarium (a game that isn't worms by Team 17 that has local co-op....okay, that's worth a try)

Volume is the stealth game from Tom Bithell (Thomas Was Alone).

Oh, neat, I hadn't looked it up yet.  That makes it much, much more interesting to me. 

Yeah, it looks really good! I picked it up on a PSN sale recently but haven't had the chance to boot it up yet. The visual style is great, and it's apparently a really solid game as well.

That's Mike Bithell. No indie dev would be so arrogant as to name their lead character after themself ;)

Man, what nerve it would take for an indie game to name characters after the creators. 

WINK

In other news, I couldn't resist Call Of Juarez Gunslinger any more, so I got the latest Humble Bundle and added that game to my FPS playthrough list!