JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Is Tales from the Borderlands any good? Richard Cobbett says it is, and he knows his adventure games, but I so despised almost all of the characters in both BL1 and BL2. (special shoutout to Tina for most obnoxious character ever)

It's well written and directed, but there is very little gameplay. If you don't mind the experience being essentially watching a cool animated feature with the occasional dialogue choice/'walk forward for ten seconds' section/QTE, then you'll enjoy it. (I enjoyed it and had no previous knowledge of the Borderlands games.)

It's well written and directed, but there is very little gameplay. If you don't mind the experience being essentially watching a cool animated feature with the occasional dialogue choice/'walk forward for ten seconds' section/QTE, then you'll enjoy it. (I enjoyed it and had no previous knowledge of the Borderlands games.)

Is that not general Telltale fare or is this one especially low on interactivity?

I haven't played much post Sam And Max Telltale stuff (a bit of TWD and GoT), but it did feel comparatively low to me, yeah.

It felt about on the level of interactivity of A Wolf Among Us to me. A little borderlands knowledge helps to enjoy it, but the comedy styling is in a Borderlands style without being obnoxious like the Gearbox games are. It was also second on my GOTY list so I'd say play it.

Humble Monthly Bundle was pretty damn good again.

Talos Principle (been on my list to buy since it came out, worth the monthly sub cost all by itself)

The Masterplan - I already own this, and kind of hate it because it was an EA game that ended up cutting local co-op, which is the only reason to buy it.  But it looks like a good game if you aren't bitter about that

Mushroom 11 - No clue about this one, but really positive reviews

Grim Fandango Remastered - Already own it, but this will make a good surprise gift for someone

Spelunky - Again, owned, but good gift material

Fistful of Gun - This is another local co-op game that's been on my list of shit to buy, so that's a nice addition

This is the first bundle where I already owned half the bundle, but a couple of them are games I'm excited about giving people, and the Talos Principle and Fistful of Gun, even on sale, are more expensive than the bundle cost. 

I think it's safe to safe the Humble Monthly bundle will have a few co-op games each month, since each month has had at least two of them. I'm also tempted to quit... But Alien Isolation is very tempting.

Done! You know, just in case. Although I've heard even 'free' might be a tad pricey.

The Humble Weekly Bundle has got Her Story in it, plus other FMV stuff.

I've been curious about it since it came to Steam, more as an oddity than anything, so picking it up like this is perfect.  Thanks for the head's up!

I have just noticed the US PSN has a PSN Essentials and I'm almost tempted to post about this in the "retro" thread since I want to ask about a few titles.

They have the first Parasite Eve game, which never came out in Europe, so that's a must, but... Just how bad is the PSOne port of Chrono Trigger? Having a portable version of this game would be nice.

Chrono Cross and Xenogears, are they worth getting?

I replayed Parasite Eve when it was first released on the PSN.  Still a really great game. 

Chrono Trigger plays fine but has loading times that are a bit of a pain. Your call on how much that bothers you.

Omikron: The Nomad Soul is free on the Square-Enix store in honor of David Bowie's passing. Coupon code is "omikron". Gets you a Steam Key.

I never played this, but I do remember staring at the ad for it on the back of the Deus Ex manual and imagining what it'd be like. Now I get to know!

That's nice of them, but that was one of the worst stores I've ever used. Why are the NA/EU stores completely separate? Why, after I make an account where it doesn't ask for my country, and I choose the EU flag from the drop down does it take me to an entirely different website where my account credentials don't work? Ugh. It then forced me to sign in through Steam just to create an account.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/p/hatofulboyfriend_storefront

Hatoful boyfriend is on sale for $1.49 and if you don't already own this game, please get it. It's one of my favorite games ever. It probably doesn't work as well if you're not at least a little familiar with romance based visual novels, as it's working to subvert and parody known tropes, but it's so so so good.

It has a really great skipping mechanic for text you've already read, making it easy to do multiple playthroughs (which I highly recommend, as you unlock a totally bonkers amazing ending after you unlock the normal endings.) I would recommend doing your first playthrough honestly picking which birdie you like best, and then from there playing out as many other scenarios as you can. Don't be afraid to use multiple save slots at branching points so you don't have to replay everything. There are plenty of guides out there too that don't have spoilers but tell you which choices to make to see the endings you've missed.

I bought it over Xmas sale but don't have a background in romantic visual novels that you say is useful. Will I be in the dark for some of it? Should I check out some stuff before Hatoful?

I bought it over Xmas sale but don't have a background in romantic visual novels that you say is useful. Will I be in the dark for some of it? Should I check out some stuff before Hatoful?

I played through it twice and still enjoyed it for the weirdness and fun of it, while having absolutely zero familiarity with the visual novel genre, romantic or not.  I did not play through for all the endings, as I didn't find it engaging enough for that, but going and reading about the secret ending was quite enjoyable and wouldn't have made much sense if I hadn't played the game.