JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

This is the first sale in about a year that I've wanted to pick up anything. I've looked hungrily at some of the 'bigger' purchases like Subanautica ~$16, Killing Floor 2 ~$24, + others but I've had to restrict myself until the student loan actually comes through.

Anyway I've picked up SanctuaryRPG ~$5 and I've loved it so far. A quirky sense of humour, a nice chiptunes soundtrack, and a punishing return to text based rogue like mechanics has made this a real time eater.

Now I'm eyeing up TIS-100 (Tessalated Intelligence Systems) ~$5 from the creators of Space Chem and Infinifactory. The game has you tooling around with an assembly language that even has its own big printable manual to properly get that MS-Dos feel and while you do so there's some mysterious story to pick up along the way. It looks like the kind of thing I want to play but it's also the kind of slightly too technical activity that'd have me scrambling for something less brain intensive fast haha.

I actually checked nearly the entire Steam shop (I stopped when all the games had negative reviews) and I'm kinda upset, when did Star Trek 25 Anniversary hit Steam? Where did all these adventure games I've never heard of come from? How did all these great looking and hopefully hidden games remain hidden?

I got a few obscure adventure games but not much else.

I decided to grab Tales from the Borderlands and am trying to resist getting Civilization: Beyond Earth.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is 40% off at the EU eShop, how is it compared the first one? Harder or easier?

Today's eShop deals are Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Kirby Triple Deluxe 30%, Game & Wario and Code Name S.T.E.A.M. 40% off.

I already own Kirby Triple Deluxe and Game & Wario and while the Wario game doesn't have that many minigames, I liked them.

Isn't Kirby and the Rainbow more or less like that DS stylus game? Codename S.T.E.A.M. looks like Valkyria Chronicles a bit?

The reviews I read (giant bomb and some others) said the level design didn't feel as good this time around on the Kirby game compared to the DS version

Rainbow Curse was a letdown. I loved Canvas Curse, and this is trying to be that, but it's just not as good. Code Name S.T.E.A.M. is something I'm interested in, because it's Valkyria Chronicles as made by Intelligent Systems. That sounds appealing, but I have not tried it.

I actually made it through a Steam sale and bought no games.  Pretty proud of that (which is terribly, terribly sad).

I bought Helldivers (not actually a sale item!) and Luftrausers.

Is there an options menu in Luftrausers? I desperately need to turn the volume down and all the normal buttons just quit the game.

As I mentioned earlier, I bought Tales from the Borderlands, which I am more than half way through, so that seems to be a good purchase. I also picked up Spore as I've been wanting to try out the Galactic Adventures expansion but it's been nothing but a fuss trying to install from my CD and/or to get Origin to recognize it. Oddly, though they were both running a sale at the same time, it was still half the price to pick Spore up on Steam rather than Origin. 

I only bought games for my wife, which was smart because she plays infinitely more PC games than me in recent memory. Pretty happy with my purchases!

I actually made it through a Steam sale and bought no games.  Pretty proud of that (which is terribly, terribly sad).

I also bought nothing (for myself at least).  But don't worry, the Winter sale is supposed to be coming later this month so you'll still have a chance to empty your wallet.

Monument Valley (iOS) is free today if you don't already have it.

I got Advent Rising and Rogue Warrior! And Vermintide, I guess, but how am I going to be able to play that with so many classics waiting for my attention?

Shadow Complex Remastered, a remaster of the Metroidvania game made by ChAIR for the Xbox 360 in 2009, is available for free on PC for a limited time via Epic Games.  You have to jump though a couple hoops to get it (namely you need to download the Epic Games Launcher client and get an account) but hey, it's free.  It comes out for PS4, Xbox One, and PC next year.

That's worth it, I really dug Shadow Complex, and always meant to go back and try some of the speedrunning challenges on it. 

The new Humble Monthly is out and... Is it me or are they 40-50% online or multiplayer games? I'm probably going to giveaway half of what I got this month. :\

Yeah, this one was a bit more miss for me than the previous one, but it still had two games on it that were already on my Wishlist, and I didn't previously own any of them, so it was still a good deal.

Banished (been curious about this one, but not enough to buy it)
Rust (meh, I don't get into these games, but since I own it, might at least fire it up)
PayDay 2 (would be super excited if not for the recent news about it)
Neon Struct (fuck yeah, been super curious about this one)
Chroma Squad (tactical RPG based on Power Rangers, been curious about it as well)
Company of Heroes 2 (meh, don't really care)

I didn't realize that was like a $60+ package with the included DLC.  If I cared about CoH2, I'd be really excited (I know nothing about CoH2, should I be excited?). 

Depends! CoH2 seems like it was a solid game on release, but not blow the doors off instant game changer like the original CoH. Did you play/like any of the Dawn of War games, or any smaller-scale tactical RTS games? Do you like the concept of the WW2 Eastern Front as a setting?

I think one of the concerns was some people (RPS, 3MA - folks I trust) felt like the gameplay was good but the campaign wasn't all there, which has been allayed over time with DLC (which the bundle looks like it comes with).

If you care at all about that type of strategy it's possibly quite exciting.

So, I assume there's going to be a Steam Christmas sale at some point in addition to the fall/winter sale they already had? Anyone hear anything?