JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I just got Shantae: Pirate's Curse and Broken Age, 50 and 75% off respectively. I wasn't in a rush to get Broken Age but that was too good to pass up.

Edit: Other deals I was tempted by -

State of Decay Survival Edition - 60% off

Vector Thrust - 66% off (to scratch that Ace Combat itch)

Robot Roller-Derby Disco Dodgeball - 67% off

Off-World Trading Company - 50% off

(prices not included since mine are in whacky NZ moneys)

Here are some of the larger considerations on my wish list:

Sleeping Dogs: Definitive - $7.49 - 75% off

The Beginner's Guide - $5.99 - 40% off

Sid Meier's Starships and Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth - $18.49 - 63% off

Grey Goo - $19.99 - 60% off

Witcher 3 - $29.99 - 50% off

Pillars of Eternity - $22.49 - 50% off

Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires - $24.99 - 50% off

System Shock: Enhanced - $4.99 - 50% off

Tales from the Borderlands - $12.49 - 50% off

Cannon Brawl - $5.09 - 66% off

Sniper Elite 3 - $9.99 - 80% off

Homeworld Remastered Collection - $12.24 - 65% off

Dawn of Discovery - $4.99 - 50% off

Antichamber - $1.99 - 90% off

Hand of Fate - $9.99 - 60% off

Overall, I'd say there's more things on sale on my list than I've ever seen before, so that's a plus. I'm not feeling the pressing need to get a new game at the moment though. Tales from the Borderlands is the only one that I'm dying for right now.

I can't say with true conviction that there's anything I'd necessarily play before the next sale rolls around in about a month's time, and that's not meant as a sleight on this raft of discounts by any means...

I would really like to buy Majesty: Gold Edition during this sale to relive some fond memories. But I remember someone on this forum said that it was really buggy, or a bad re-release, and that Paradox screwed something up and sadly it isn't worth buying.

Is that true? Does anyone have strong opinions about the re-release of Majesty?

Overall, I'd say there's more things on sale on my list than I've ever seen before, so that's a plus. I'm not feeling the pressing need to get a new game at the moment though. Tales from the Borderlands is the only one that I'm dying for right now.

Yeah, some great prices there... I'm really feeling the push on Elite: Dangerous all of a sudden.

I would really like to buy Majesty: Gold Edition during this sale to relive some fond memories. But I remember someone on this forum said that it was really buggy, or a bad re-release, and that Paradox screwed something up and sadly it isn't worth buying.

I think this was probably in response to me complaining about Majesty 2 on the recently completed games thread. The stuff about the botched release I think was referring to Majesty 2, not the original. The original seems to be getting good reviews on steam and I found this quote from the forums back in 2010.

I went out and beat Majesty again, after listening to 45 again. Chris, you're an amazing person, and I can't agree more about 2, but J.H.C., play Majesty 1. Ten bucks on Steam. Worth your time. Love the game. The concept was executed properly the first time, and not the second.

So it sounds good?

This video was enough to convince me to buy Infinifactory.

It's the follow up from the Spacechem guy. I never sunk too much time into that one and this one appears to have much more personality. Plus, the Video Games Hotdog guys love it. Plus plus, it seems to have sold terribly :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/300570/

Hoo boy, haven't splurged on a sale in a while. My haul was:

Kyntt Underground

Ultimate Doom

Jack box party pack

Life is Strange Ep 1

Infinifactory

Duet

Only three games on my wishlist are not on sale. But I just ordered a new video card, so I'm probably going to wait for the winter sale in a month.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who ignores sales unless they are at least 75% off or more, but I don't know my Pillars of Eternity is tempting me, and Dreamfall Chapters seems to refuse to drop further than 50%.

Can anybody vouch for The Evil Within? I'm so very afraid of AAA games with their "sloginess". :(

Dewar's right, it was he and I's discussion about Majesty that came up recently.  I consider M1 to be one of the finest games ever made, and have replayed portions of it within the last 2 or 3 years.  Majesty 2 is...eh, it's probably not terrible.  But it failed to deliver on what made the original special (not surprising, as none of the original people were involved with 2 and it was running on an engine not designed to do what 1 did). 

I am going to wait until Dropsy goes off sale to buy it, because I finally have money and Jay's a cool guy.

Well, here is some stuff which is on my wishlist which I am thinking on picking up. I might not buy many things in this sales, given that there is the Dragon Quest Heroes and Lightining Returns coming up soon.

Medieval Total War 1 (-75%)

World End Economica Episode 2 (-50%)

Grandia II (-50%)

The Devil on G-String (-30%) (Note there is a version without voices and version with voices).

Distant World Universe (-50%)

Ame no Marginal - Rain Marginal (-50%)

Sound of Drop - fall into poison (-50%)

fault milestone two side: above (-30%)

Mordenheim City of the Damned (-33%)

And then I have the sudden realization that most of it are Visual Novels XD. Mordenheim is one which I am very curious, but I kind haven´t found enough info around (specially I would like to know how customization works, if there is any) anyone would recommend?

Anyway, here some stuff which I would recomend:

Endless Legend (-66%)

Wargame Franchise (-75%)

Amnesia Memories (-90% ! !) this one is Otome game not the horror game, I do have it but didn´t had time to play it, and maybe for some people is interessing to support to see if they bring more titles.

Higurashi When they Cry Hou - Ch.1 Onikakushi (-25%)

Valkyria Chronicles (-75%)

The Legend of Heroes Trails in the Sky (-50%)

Nobunaga´s Ambition (-34%)

Age of Wonders III (-75%)

Notch - The Innocent Luna: Eclipsed SinnerS (-33%)

One Way Heroics (-75% the expansion is -33%)

Hatoful Boyfriend (-75%)

Ok, below is not a recommendation, but just some useful info - because there is three versions of this game on steam right now:

Disciples III - Renaissance : This is the original version of the game, which is the one I have (but is the gamesgate version) and it is really bad. Of the original factions of Disciples franchise it only have the Empire, Demons and Elves.

Disciples III - Ressurection: Now things got confusing, this is I think is a expansion (might be a standalone, how knows, the page does not explain this) that add the Undead Hordes and do some revision on the game.

Disciples III - Reincarnation: This is a newer version, which features the original and plus the expansion and a major revision of the game, somehow it does have positive ratings and I am almost temped by it, but I am not sure....

The people behind the game closed door a long time ago, so no more patchs or expansions (and so no Dwarves).

an anybody vouch for The Evil Within? I'm so very afraid of AAA games with their "sloginess". :(

I, personally, would steer clear. Even reading positive reviews, the things that people didn't like about it seemed like they would drive one mad. I enjoyed watching a Youtuber clear it, but it really looked like a hallway slog through much of the game. 

Sorry, I guess that's very vague. To be specific: The game's tone is trying desperately to be grim and serious, while having moments of wacky over-the-topness ala Bayonetta. A lot of the game's survival mechanics are more like punishment mechanics, punishing you for not standing in exactly the right place to hit a guy, punishing you for not knowing something was around a blind corner, etc. It is however, gorgeous in many places. Make your own decision but I would recommend watching a playthrough of at least the opening to see if it's your cuppa. 

I watched Markiplier play the Evil Within DLC and it was... OK?

A part of me is almost upset at all the visual novels on sale, my backlog is nothing but VNs and as much as I love them, I do feel like playing something different, but my WISHLIST is also mostly 90% VNs and the rest are adventure games and probably awful RPG Maker games. 

I am slowly turning into Dr. Alphys... :tup:  :poring:

The most appealing sales to me thus far are:

GTAV - $36

Her Story - $3.59

Rocket League - $14

Ori & the Blind Forest - $12

The Talos Principle - $13.59

I just bought a new mouse and graphics card, however, so I probably don't need to spend more money on games when I still have some I've never installed.

Square Enix have a big sale on their US site. Lots of physical stuff (incl. Chrono Trigger, The World Ends With You on DS for $6 a piece) that won't ship to the EU :(

Hatoful Boyfriend & Dropsy are the only 2 games this year that made me cry and I recommend them both v emphatically.

Thanks Dewar and Bjorn! I think I'm definitely going to get Majesty Gold during this sale, but I'll steer clear of 2.

Can't wait to replay some of it. Man...I had so many hours of fun just screwing around in that game, haha.

I just woke up and notice that the EU PSN AND eShop have Black Friday sales of sorts? 

Nintendo has two 3DS an WiiU tittles on sale each day at 40%, like Super Mario 3D Land and Wonderful101 while Sony... The only game I saw that I wanted was cheaper on Steam. 

I'm in a spot where I want to be spending zero dollars for a little while, and I should thank valve for their new system, because I'm not checking it as obsessively as I used to. Snark out of the way, as I've posted a million times before I think the meta sale stuff is fun, and miss it. 

Also, my memory is that most games maintained the same sale price, though some percentage would spike in flash sales, but that was not the majority game or timewise. 

The difference here is the games are already at their theoretical flash price, whether you buy it today or Monday.

Vastly prefer the new system. If you didn't get on the winning team, you were fucked. Fuck all that, I don't want to play games to maximize my purchases--I'd rather cart home less games and actually play them.

I like the lack of fluctuating game prices via flash sales. I did like the daily sales, insofar as I think that checking daily isn't horrible and they recently adopted the practice where they'd reinstate all the daily sale prices on the last day of the sale in case you missed something. So, I do kinda wish there were still daily sales so at least it felt like more of an event. Either way, I have to admit that it's way simpler and more convenient to just look at my wishlist, buy what seems to be below whatever price threshold they needed to cross to be worth buying, and then doing at all at once.

I much prefer the way they've handled this Steam sale honestly. I want to buy games not go over a flow chart to see if maybe the game might be cheaper in the next 8 hours.

The most appealing sales to me thus far are:

GTAV - $36

Her Story - $3.59

Rocket League - $14

Ori & the Blind Forest - $12

The Talos Principle - $13.59

I just bought a new mouse and graphics card, however, so I probably don't need to spend more money on games when I still have some I've never installed.

Talos is well worth that price. One of the prettier games I've played in a long time, and good variety of puzzle difficulties depending on your completionist goal.

I gave up on Talos about 3/4 through (my mind doesn't bend that far!) but I'd still heartily recommend it.