JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Insurgency is at the lowest tier of the Humble Bundle. If you are looking for a like G.R.A.W style of competitive, tactical, military-themed shooting-matches, then you should consider getting this. The main mode has three control points, if one is captured, then your dead teammates respawn. It's a very simple rule-set that works well to encouragement in high-lethality matches. There's obviously a bunch of new people playing right now, so it's a good time to get in because the potential skill-level is very high. You will be spectating a lot until you understand where the map's mid-grounds are, so stay 30 or so paces behind a teammate and cover a flank. Some of the most fulfilling matches for me are the ones where I fire the least amount of rounds (make sure you have a shot because you will be giving away your position).

I'll also mention that when you are dead you are spectating. This is something I like about the game, I can sit back and watch fools on my team do it better or yell "Don't go through that doorway!" to no one.

I just picked up the Double Finey Humble Weekly bundle (mainly for Grim, though I just spent 30 mins noodling with Massive Chalise). As I copy&pasted the codes into Steam Spacebase turned up in my inventory. Are free games a regular occurance?

I think you get it for free if you own enough (or the right) Double Fine games? It just showed up in my inventory one day.

Well that's pretty great. Free games?! What times we live in! Kids will never again know the way my generation would bleed EVERY last drop of pleasure from our two-ish games a year on Xmas and birthdays. It's a shame they don't get the joy of devouring instruction manuals in the car for 3 hours, but they've got it prit-tee good.

I feel like I got hack n slack and space base free when they stopped supporting them? I'm not entirely sure how those ended up in my steam library.

I've just read up on it and apparently if you've got one game you get the other free. Hack n Slash is in the bundle. Man, it seems like Double Fine's catalogue is now littered with kickstartered curios. Regardless of the pitfalls they've encountered, you can't fault them for lacking ideas. I should check out those docs.

It's not that uncommon for getting a free game for buying a specific company bundle, some companies are generous enough that if you buy their "complete" bundle, you get one free? I know I bought the Humongous Entertainment bundle and when Steam got new Humongous games they were added to my Steam library.

And speaking of deals, I just a bunch of cheap cheesy games from the Steam-O-Ween sale!

I got the "Blood" series, the Bloorayne series and finally caved and got Murdered Soul Suspect suspects. I'm tempted to get Mystery of the Druid, but it look "boring bad"? They also have a Troma game that seems to be... Troma good?

Holy hell, the Humble Monthly thingie is starting off strong.

Saint's Row IV

Towefall Ascencion

Besiege

Valkyria Chronicles

Lethal League

Sanctuary RPG

Legend of Grimrock 2 (included I think just as a bonus for having signed up early)

I'll be honest, I was not expecting that number or quality of games.  The only one I had previously owned was Valkyria Chronicles, and everything but Lethal League are things I have wanted to play at some point.

Lethal League, Besiege and Towerfall Ascension are the only one I didn't own and I'm not sure but I think only Besiege is actually a single player game?

Still not at all sold on blind buying a selection of games in advance I already have two of those games and most have been in other bundles I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, Red Faction Guerrilla is on sale for 4 bucks on Steam. That's the Space Asshole one I'm pretty sure! They removed GFWL and added steamworks multiplayer and I think some bonus content at some point too!

Still not at all sold on blind buying a selection of games in advance I already have two of those games and most have been in other bundles I'm pretty sure.

Anyway, Red Faction Guerrilla is on sale for 4 bucks on Steam. That's the Space Asshole one I'm pretty sure! They removed GFWL and added steamworks multiplayer and I think some bonus content at some point too!

Man, that was a good game, but I'd never have a chance to play it again with my backlog.

Holy hell, the Humble Monthly thingie is starting off strong.

Saint's Row IV

Towefall Ascencion

Besiege

Valkyria Chronicles

Lethal League

Sanctuary RPG

Legend of Grimrock 2 (included I think just as a bonus for having signed up early)

I'll be honest, I was not expecting that number or quality of games.  The only one I had previously owned was Valkyria Chronicles, and everything but Lethal League are things I have wanted to play at some point.

great deal for $12, but i'm in the spot where I own most of them from other platforms; this confirms my initial hesitations that kept me from signing up, so i'll probably continue to not do so.

Can you actually get the bundle once it's announced like a normal bundle? I wouldn't know since I bought it.

I would assume not as that would mean there'd be no reason to subscribe if you could just wait and see if the games were actually ones you wanted.

Yeah, the sign up bonus for new subscribers this month is Towerfall Ascension.  That looks to be the plan, new signups get one game immediately, but you have to be an active subscriber when the package goes live to get all the games. 

I'll stay subscribed for awhile I think.  I really backed off buying bundles about a year and a half ago, so my library hasn't grown a bunch over that time.  The liklihood of getting games I don't own is pretty high. 

This is despite the fact that they're having daily sales highlights, which I guess is just a spotlight that doesn't affect the prices?

This is just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure I'm right about this.

The European Playstation Blog usually posts the weekly discounts on this day of the week, but today there was nothing. I can't help but to to think we're going to get a Black Friday Sale.  If only the EU eShop had a Black Friday sale. 

This is despite the fact that they're having daily sales highlights, which I guess is just a spotlight that doesn't affect the prices?

Yeah, that's exactly what it is.  They're still going to have deals showcased on the front page, but that doesn't change the price or duration.  Day one deals will be the same as deals at the end of the sale.

No Flash/Daily deals and no meta-activity kinda sucks some of the fun out of it for me.

No Flash/Daily deals and no meta-activity kinda sucks some of the fun out of it for me.

I was never into the meta stuff much, but the daily deals helped organize the sale for me.

Post your highlights on deals, because apparently Valve won't!

Elite: Dangerous is $15, which makes me that much more antsy that I got impatient and preordered a game I played for three weeks.

Wolfenstein The New Order is $9, which is an awesome deal. That's last year's release not the standalone.

Company of Heroes 2 is $9, which is super tempting.

There's quite a bit that's cheap on my wishlist.  I'll probably pick up a few things, but with no Flash sale, I'm in no rush.  I've got a bunch of local co-op games on my list, so I'll point out some of those.

Her Story - $3.59 - Police video mystery that the cast was raving about for awhile

Chariot - $3.74 - Fun looking local co-op game I've been wanting to try where a princess and her fiance have to cart around the king's dead body

Dropsy - $4.99 - Only 50 percent off, but given the love it's got around the forums, worth noting

Gauntlet (2014) - $4.99 - Local co-op (naturally).  Been this cheap before, but I've never seen it cheaper

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE - $7.49 (75 percent off) - Even though it's a radically different kind of game, I'm tempted because of all the MGS love going around

Defense Grid 2 - $3.74 - Has local co-op, which is something I wish more tower defense games had as I think it plays with the genre very well