JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Only if it ends up with staggered releases across last gen, next gen and PC.  I bought it twice at full price because I was too impatient to wait for the PC release.  :(

Talos Principle is 66% off and I have to ask.... just how are the puzzles? Are they a bit repetitive or are they different enough from each other to not feel like a drag?

As long as you aren't trying for all the stars, I enjoyed them quite a bit and they did a pretty good job of both slowly building in new mechanics and finding new ways to use old ones.

Talos Principle is 66% off and I have to ask.... just how are the puzzles? Are they a bit repetitive or are they different enough from each other to not feel like a drag?

What I'd say is they're more repetitive than a Portal game, but they didn't feel like a drag to me. Portal tries to have every puzzle be revelatory, where Talos doesn't go quite that far: you'll sometimes see several puzzles that rely on the same insight or principle about manipulating the game objects. I think it still works; there's not the set order to the puzzles you'd have with test chambers, and it does introduce enough variations that it didn't bore me until I was trying for the secret stars.

I'd assume we'd want to tread lightly on getting into, just, random recommendations in this thread, but Always Sometimes Monsters is also marked down to a super low $2.50 in that Devolver sale, and now would be a great time to play that if you haven't since they just announced an early 2016 sequel which will import save files from the first game. One of my favorite games of last year!

For some reason, whenever I load up that game on Steam, it boots The Longest Journey. How am I being trolled so effectively??

The Humble Store has been having sales for a few days now, but I just realized how awesome their "Build your own Bundle" deal is.

I was missing some Daedalic adventure games and the more you get, the bigger the discount, up to five, that is, which was the exact number of games I wanted.

I got five games for 12€ at 85% off each, which is a pretty good deal.

The Humble Store has been having sales for a few days now, but I just realized how awesome their "Build your own Bundle" deal is.

I was missing some Daedalic adventure games and the more you get, the bigger the discount, up to five, that is, which was the exact number of games I wanted.

I got five games for 12€ at 85% off each, which is a pretty good deal.

Used this when they were selling Double Fine games and I got Broken Age, Iron Brigade and Grim Fandango for $10! Incredibly good deal.

The Humble Tom Clancy Bundle is an amazing collection of fabulous games.  The entire Splinter Cell series (except for Pandora Tomorrow, which doesn't have a good PC port for Windows 7+), Rainbow Six, and others.  It's all for Uplay, not Steam, but nonetheless, a great deal.  I own all of this already but grabbed a bundle for gifting purposes.

Strange that Chaos Theory is in the lowest tier but the original is Beat-the-average. I thought it was generally and Gaynorly regarded as the best?

The bundle is incomplete. It's missing Rogue Spear, it's mission packs, and all mission packs for the original Ghost Recon.

Also, I doubt they fixed the multiplayer (which depended on mplayer, gamespy, ... other dead tech) so you can only do the single player campaigns.

Strange that Chaos Theory is in the lowest tier but the original is Beat-the-average. I thought it was generally and Gaynorly regarded as the best?

Definitely the best.  I don't claim to understand how Humble and their chosen publishers organize the bundles.

The bundle is incomplete. It's missing Rogue Spear, it's mission packs, and all mission packs for the original Ghost Recon.

Also, I doubt they fixed the multiplayer (which depended on mplayer, gamespy, ... other dead tech) so you can only do the single player campaigns.

I wonder if it's an issue with different publishers and distribution rights and whatnot.  No comment on the multiplayer as that's not my jam.  I just like the Splinter Cell and Rainbow Six games!

Redstorm had all the rights to the Tom Clancy games (as it was owned by Tom Clancy himself) and was sold to Ubisoft in early 2000. So there's not rights issue.

This week's Humble Weekly Bundle Fantastic Arcade is good if you like a certain style of independently produced video game.

$1+ is DRM free

• Hellmouth (Other work:
    )
  • Alea (
    )
  • Hoky (Fold, Nuclear Throne)
  • Risky Bison (Envirobear 2010 and Desert Golfing)
  • Crap! No-one Love Me (IGF Student Showcase winner Zineth)
  • Wheels of Aurelia (Fotonica and MirrorMoon EP)

Alea and Wheels of Aurelia have promised Steam keys if they get a pass from Greenlight

$8+ tier for Steam games FEZ, Hotline Miami, Luftrausers, No Brakes Valet, MirrorMoon EP, FRACT OSC. All Steam and DRM-free apart from No Brakes Valet which is Android and DRM-free.

Anyway, I got it mainly for Wheels of Aurelia, but the rest of the Fantastic Arcade lower tier made the purch a whoooole lot easier.

In the same vein the total war bundle looks pretty interesting considering you can get Rome 2: Emperor Edition for $15. I'm actually really struggling to decide to buy it or not. I loved the original total war games, but I often found myself being frustrated when I couldn't get enough gold to do anything and there was revolts everywhere. However, I've been out of PC gaming for about a year and I'd really love to buy a game/some games for less than €20 so it kind of seems perfect. Does any one have any recommendations for less than €20? I'd like something I can sink a lot of time in to and it'd be even better if I could do so with a controller! 

I went ahead and subscribed to get Legend of Grimrock 2, and will see what the first bundle is.  It's worth $12 to check out, but if the first couple of months are poor selections, or heavily overlap with what I already own, then I'll dump it.

I just realized you have to use a credit card for this, it's not that I don't have one, but I always feel safer with PayPal. :\

given my collection, it will probably be just things I already have