JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I'm having trouble on what I should get in the last day of the sale: Alien Isolation, South park tsot, Stalker complete or DayZ.

I only have enough for one, so recommendations?

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Complete is a mod :P

Anyway, I haven't played the first two and I have a hard time recommending DayZ unless you already have friends who are playing it, plus there's a good chance it'll run like complete garbage for you. The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games are great, two of them anyway, but you probably won't want to play them back to back. They take a lot out of you, plus they're a bit too similar. I think I'd recommend getting the first one, Shadow of Chernobyl, and then maybe something else. I guess that + South Park adds up to less than Alien.

ALIEN will only appeal to you if you're both a fan of the film and stealth games. If either of those sounds unappealing, you can wait for a bigger price decrease.

Finally bought Metal Gear Rising and Road Redemption. Might pick up MGS5 if I'm feeling cheeky tomorrow.

I bought -

Pinball Arcade: Season One Table Pack
FINAL FANTASY XIII
The Banner Saga
Halo: Spartan Assault
Ziggurat
Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
Magicite
Dark Souls II
Mount Your Friends
Sportsfriends
Divekick

Much more than I was planning to buy, but I didn't spend too much so I'm happy. I also immediately got use out of Divekick, Sportsfriends, and Mount Your Friends with Xmas family gaming.

I played a little of the meta-game with gems, but didn't win any of the auctions I bid on. I ended up getting enough gems to create one booster pack for a game I was close to having a badge for...and realized after the fact that just buying the cards themselves would have been cheaper.

Now I've got about 340 gems left over, with no cosmetics or cards I want to get rid of. I'll probably trade them to a friend somewhere down the line, now that they're worth such a tiny, tiny amount.

For actual games, I was a little reserved this sale. We're trying to save funds for various reasons, so my budget was around $30. For that, I got:

• A Golden Wake
  • Blackwell Epiphany
  • Half Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2
  • Car Mechanic Simulator
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Transistor
  • Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
  • The Banner Saga

Plus, my friend bought me a copy of The Talos Principle, which I'm particularly excited about playing.

Right now, I'm playing through Half Life 2 for the very first time. Would you believe I've successfully avoided spoilers for an entire decade?

This sale I got oly Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, Max Payne and Transistor. No serious harm done to the wallet.

Transistor I got based on the recommendation of Bjorn in the GotY thread and yep, it's pretty good and way better than Bastion when it comes to gameplay. The visuals are crazy gorgerous as well. Best bought of this sale so far, totally worth it. 

• Half Life 2, HL2: Ep1, HL2: Ep2

The rare "steam user who doesn't have HL2 yet" spotted in the wild. Truly a once in a lifetime sighting.

I can't even claim a relatively new Steam account as justification for not having Half Life 2 before now...my Steam account was created in August of 2004, a good couple of months before HL2 was released.

The rare "steam user who doesn't have HL2 yet" spotted in the wild. Truly a once in a lifetime sighting.

I got mine for Counter Strike as well. I was like 15 and didn't have a bank account or PayPal yet. I ended up paying an older kid to set it up for me, but didn't have the foresight to suggest a good username. So to this day I'm still just "thisaccountisfortaylor."

I got mine for Super Meat Boy and a bundle of games that came with it when it come out on Mac.

I've had the entire Half Life series sitting there since then, only played a few hours into the first one and gotten no further. I figure if Half Life 3 is ever announced I'll use that as my impetus to play through.

I remember reading quite a while ago that steam accounts with low ID numbers were desirable in the CS community because they proved you weren't a noob or whatever. Wonder if that's still a thing (or ever really was).

Anyway I got my steam account for HL2 because I'm a True Gamer.

I'm a weirdo.  It looks like my very first purchase on Steam was for the Introversion Anthology (now the complete pack or something like that).  I had pirated Uplink several years earlier, and absolutely fallen in love with it.  I had never even seen it for sale in any local stores in Kansas City, it was just some random game I downloaded to try out.  Years later when I saw their collection was on sale on Steam, I remembered that game and felt bad that I had never paid a cent for it.  So I bought the collection. 

There are probably 20 or 30 games in my Steam library that are pure guilt purchases from when I was younger and pirated games. 

Introversion Anthology is definitely a good buy. And Uplink is so good.

I honestly don't know when I got my steam account and DON'T FEEL LIKE CHECKING RIGHT NOW!! I wanna say it was Half-Life 2, but I know I played Day of Defeat, but I don't know if I played it before Steam or even before Half-Life 2, so I'm just gonna go with Half-Life 2.

Tegan-approved Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is $15 on the 3DS eShop for a couple weeks. Might be time to pick it up!

I got Steam due to the Thumbs' enthusiastic endorsement of Torchlight 1 in late 2009. The only PC I had was a 2005 Dell laptop, but the game still ran pretty well.

I've a 10yr badge from November 2004 which should be right around Half-Life 2, I remember initially be very anti-steam based on the UI and DRM, but physical media and key-codes.  

Second purchase was Torchlight, seems to be a common theme there...but also means at least a 4yr gap in its usage

I don't remember when or why I first got a Steam account, but I do know that this is technically my second Steam account.  I had to create a second one after my first one got locked for reasons I don't remember anymore (nothing illicit, some stupid thing) but luckily I didn't own that many games so it wasn't any real loss at the time.

I also got it for Counter-Strike, I think most people who joined before HL2 did. I remember that people in CS would obsess over their SteamID which is your user number. If you had a 3 or 4 digit ID you could sell it for a decent amount of money.

I've a 10yr badge from November 2004 which should be right around Half-Life 2, I remember initially be very anti-steam based on the UI and DRM, but physical media and key-codes.  

Second purchase was Torchlight, seems to be a common theme there...but also means at least a 4yr gap in its usage

This reminds me that buying a CD of Portal 1 was my initial horrible experience with Steam.

Download the game I bought a CD for just to be told I need to be constantly online to ever play it, back when my house didn't even have Wifi.

Dark days...

Europe is have a January sale and it has both Danganronpa games for 19.99 each, which does sound tempting.

I actually just rented Danganronpa and have been playing it, I'm finding it very charming and enjoyable. I'm considering buying it to give my wife a chance to play it at some point since it seems like her kind of jam.