JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

This year's sale sucked. The only thing I bought was Legend of Grimrock 2, and that was only discounted by like 20%. They didn't even do anything interesting with the trading card crap this time. A shitty sale to cap off a shitty year for games. Bah, humbug.

It was probably one of their worse sales, but to say it sucked means we are a little spoiled. It definitely felt like the bigger games that released in the second half of the year got smaller discounts than they have in the past. Maybe publishers are trying to fight back against the race to the bottom. I still ended up buying a lot more than I have in the last couple of big sales, but barely any of it was featured on the front page. My haul:

POP: Methodology Experiment One

140 (wasn't discounted though)

Shatter

E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy

Bleed

Hexcells Complete Pack

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Shadowrun Returns

Toki Tori

Escape Goat

The Stanley Parable

Final Fantasy XIII

Rainbow Six 3: Gold

Kane and Lynch 2 - Dog Days

Lovely Planet

Mostly super cheap stuff.

I also sold trading cards for the first time. Honestly, the EVE player in me thinks it wasn't worth the time it took to list them. I made like 3.5€.

I got:

Poker at the Inventory 1 & 2

Endless Legend

Pinball Arcade Season 1 & 2

and FaeVerse Alchemy (early access) off of an itch.io sale that I'm pretty sure was encouraged by the Steam one.

I bought MGR: Revengeance in the sale (but haven't installed it yet, and probably won't for another year), and also Kingdoms of Amalur, which is fast and fun but quite shallow and easy. My gf got me Isaac, The Stanley Parable and Necrodancer.

Spoiled rotten. Oh, also I got Shadow Warrior for a pittance, and wish I'd paid more for it. It's dead good.

I've been very, very reserved so far in this sale. Bought 5 things and all but one of them were sub-$2. I did buy Never Alone, mostly because that's the kind of project I want to support while it's relatively new, even if I'm not going to play it for awhile.

Very similar experience here, if you sub in Nuclear Throne instead of Never Alone - I rationalised that one as current owners will receive an additional gift copy not long after Jan 1, Eurotimezone, and it looks like the kind of game that could get a lot of regular rotation, Spelunky style.

That was a Real Money purchase but all else came out of Steam Wallet funds from trading card sales.

I find myself feeling like I 'won' in that I have half a dozen more games for very little (or no) financial outlay, but 'lost' in that the Steam sale entity successfully convinced me to part with currency at all. Battle of the wills.

Hatoful Boyfriend

Ultimate General Gettysburg

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Dominion 4

Shadow Warrior

Euro Truck Simulator 2

You Need A Budget (the irony does not elude me)

I got Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit to play with some friends (pretty fun!), then Ground Zeroes and The Fall based on how highly they were praised on the Giant Bomb GOTY casts. I'm kind of okay with not buying a load of games any more considering what percentage of them I usually end up playing...

I bought Tropico 5, Transistor, How to survive and some Pinball Arcade tables.

The lack of a meta game and low major sale update frequency made this a rather boring sale.

I wish I had some Valve hotline, because I want to know why the major sales aren't always little meta events? That is so much more fun. Maybe they could hire me to design them? Do any Valve hiring managers read this thread? 

Anyway, I've to sort of tried to cap my spending. I think I spend under $15. Though Endless Legend seems appealing. I also might get PayDay2 because I've been meaning to do some more multi with some pals. 

I got:

Abyss Odyssey
The God's Will Be Watching
Bully
Super Time Force Ultra

I bought Tropico 5, Transistor, How to survive and some Pinball Arcade tables.

The lack of a meta game and low major sale update frequency made this a rather boring sale.

Yeah I would not buy this steam sale even if it was 75% off.

The meta event this year was the auction, which just didn't interest a bunch of people I guess.  It is weird that they ended up separating it from the sale, but I'm assuming they were worried it could cannibalize sales.  Or maybe they were hoping people who didn't get games in the auction would be more incentivized to buy during the sale.

I had a dream last night that Valve actually released real statistics and analysis of their holiday sale this year.

It was weird because obviously that'll never happen.

Frankly, I only bought a few daily deals on Steam and what I got from auctions, but I did take advantage of the eShop sale and get:

3DS:

-Attack of the Friday Monsters

-Bugs VS Tanks

-Starship Damrey

-Sayonara Uminahara Kawate

WiiU:

-Rayman Legends

-AssCreed 4: Blag Flag

-Child of Light

Chalk me up as disappointed in this sale as well. Though it's probably largely because I have a huge steam library already, but It seemed like there were less daily/flash/community sales overall and the a lot of the ones they did have weren't even at their historical low prices.

Still was able to grab a couple rad games for very reasonable prices.  :tup:

I'm still completely annoyed at how Bethesda and Firaxis price their DLC in sales though.

Quick more people chime in about how the sale is disappointing because they already own most things they want!!!!

Unrelated to the steam sale, there's a wonderful Humble Bundle for those of you that love sweet graphics.

It's the current weekly bundle, which includes Year walk, Lovely Planet, Eidolon, FRACT OSC, Dust, MIND: Path to Thalamus as well as The Blue Flamingo.

I dunno about everyone else but literally all of these (bar BF, which I've never heard of) were games I wanted to pick up at some point so this has me pretty jazzed.

EDIT Also the average price is crazy low, people ought to raise that up.

I should just not post.

But then I wouldn't get to see a slightly perturbed Kermit the Frog!

Unrelated to the steam sale, there's a wonderful Humble Bundle for those of you that love sweet graphics.

It's the current weekly bundle, which includes Year walk, Lovely Planet, Eidolon, FRACT OSC, Dust, MIND: Path to Thalamus as well as The Blue Flamingo.

I dunno about everyone else but literally all of these (bar BF, which I've never heard of) were games I wanted to pick up at some point so this has me pretty jazzed.

EDIT Also the average price is crazy low, people ought to raise that up.

Isn't there a thread for gifting steam codes? I got a few dupes in this bundle.

Blue Flamingo is a shmup from the Pid and Shelter studio.

Quite surprised to see Eidolon bundled quite so soon, thought it could have been in FRACT's category. Deal done though.

Blue Flamingo is a shmup from the Pid and Shelter studio.

Yeah, I watched the trailer and was a tiny bit disappointed just cause most shmups, like most FPSes, just feel unengaging to me so I might not play it much but I definitely want a good look at the art since the way that did it was by making actual physical models.

...which sounds like it may have been a folly? Hard to tell from a trailer so I wanna look closer.

link

You should get rid of that link. It was put on that forum so scammers wouldn't know about it at first blush.

I actually feel like I got a good haul from this steam sale.  I got:

Mount Your Friends

Super Time Force Ultra

Shovel Knight

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Lethal League

Alien: Isolation