JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I'm loving some Dishonored right now, and totally anticipate getting into the DLC. it's on sale now, but the GOTY edition is cheaper than each of the DLC individually put together. Will I get a gift copy of the base game if I buy that?

RED TEAM REPRESENT!

The witched and knife DLC are both wortwhile.

Yeah, Red team is taking the lead for the third day in a row, which kind of points towards how someone earlier in the thread thought that once a team won, it would inevitably continue to win since it was getting more cards, barring an organized manipulation of the system like what Reddit was doing. 

THAT WAS ME

AND I'M ALSO ON RED TEAM

MAN I'M SO RAD

Red team started winning consistently on Day 6, after Valve announced teams in 2nd and 3rd place would also have an infinitesimal chance of winning even less of a wishlist prize. So that threw "the plan" out the window.

Red team tokens are currently selling for $7.50, while all other team tokens have fallen to below $2. 

Steam is so freaking weird now. 

I would imagine there's weird theory happening in the background now too, like if Red is consistently winning then less Red team tokens are generated by the system because they don't particularly want to encourage a mass exodus from the other teams.

Adventures of Shuggy is free from the dev's website right now. One per IP it would seem.

http://www.smudgedcat.com/shuggy_giveaway/

Thanks!  I had looked at it before since it has local co-op, and I'll at least check out any game with couch co-op on steam. 

Anyone played the HD-ification of Resident Evil 4?  I haven't played it since it's original Gamecube release and have been wanting to replay it.  But I heard a lot of spotty stuff about the Steam release when it first dropped. 

Adventures of Shuggy is a pretty fun little platformer thingy. GRAB IT IF YOU CAN!

Bjorn: I haven't played RE4HDPC and I really have no intention of doing so BUT I know coaxmetal seemed to like it in IRC. But I think that's like one of his favorite games ever so he might be biased. This probably doesn't help you at all, does it...

Red team tokens are up above $10 and the rest of the teams are around or below $1.  This is the most fascinating thing I've watched with the Steam market stuff.

I just don't know what the math could possibly be that would cause someone to buy one of those things for that much, aside from reselling it.

Jon, you know how the old adage goes:

You've got to spend money to gain a slim chance to win a game that's probably heavily discounted at this very instant

Well, hopefully enough idiots switch over to that team that people on the other teams have a higher individual chance of winning something? As a pink team member I firmly support everyone but me leaving for red. 
This entire sales event seems so weird and stilted that I can't help but wonder if this was just an experiment for valve in how to artificially create competition out of a ordinarily non-competitive system, and the sale part is just a nice bonus. So many recent steam initiatives (Tags, trading cards and badges, greenlight and early access) are focused on weird community data gathering that I have to imagine that there's some sort of statistics goblin deep within the bowels of valve just surrounded by monitors flickering between sales data and trading card prices and TF2 hats, licking his eyeballs and taking it all in for unforeseen dark purposes. But then I like goblins, so what can you do?

Also, anyone know if Kingdoms of Amalur is any good? Its possibly going to be on sale for $5 (I assume since its in the same voting category as $5 skyrim it'll win), and I've been hurting for a decent low complexity RPG recently.

Jon, you know how the old adage goes:

You've got to spend money to gain a slim chance to win a game that's probably heavily discounted at this very instant

Hah! In my country, it's "You've got to spend money to lose money." We're a simple people.

I played the RE4 HD thing. It looks amazing, I personally just can't get past the controls from a thousand years ago (and for some reason it wouldn't let me save control schemes when I switched them).

Seriously, if you're going to buy a red token, just use that money to buy the game you'll never win anyway. :P

Also, anyone know if Kingdoms of Amalur is any good? Its possibly going to be on sale for $5 (I assume since its in the same voting category as $5 skyrim it'll win), and I've been hurting for a decent low complexity RPG recently.

It's a pretty solid game. Nothing special for $60, but it sounds like you want what it's got and it's worth $5.

This is petty, but I'm a little pissed that a lot of the Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis IV DLC isn't on sale, even though the games are. There's minor cosmetic DLC released back in early February that's still being marked as full price when the game itself is seventy-five percent off. I really don't get it.

Greenmangaming currently has a 25% off discount coupon ( 0dgpmz-pifwmk-fjdyrg ) which means you can get Valiant Hearts on PC, which looks pretty nice, for £9.

Yeah, I know what you mean about DLC not being discounted, in some casse the game is almost, if not cheaper, than the DLC itself, which makes it really frustrating.

Has anybody ever used Simplycdkeys? I don't trust buying Steam codes from unknown sites.

Speaking of DLC, I picked up both the Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite DLC packs in this sale. Bioshock mostly out of curiosity and Dishonored because it would be fun to play more Dishonored. Also these days I find myself more drawn to things that don't take 20+ hours to complete.

Regarding the Steam sale cards, badges, etc., I feel kinda bad when I sell the sale cards I've gotten because I'm participating in this thing that seems to me weirdly manipulative and that I'm taking advantage of some poor card-buying sucker. But on the other hand, free money...

Looked at the Steam Summer Adventure Sweepstakes T&Cs for a laugh

"Alternate Entry: To manually enter the Sweepstakes, each eligible entrant must print his or her name, address, city, state, country, postal code, email address, Steam account name, and telephone number, as well as the day of the sale that the entry is for, on a self-addressed 4”x6” note card and mail the completed form to: Valve Corporation, P.O. Box 1688, Bellevue, WA 98009-1688.

Note cards mailed in envelopes will not be accepted prior to June 19, 2014. Note cards mailed in envelopes and postmarked between June 19 and June 29, 2014 will be accepted.

No e-mailed or faxed alternate entries are eligible. Facsimiles, photocopies or mechanical reproductions of entries will be void.

Alternate entries received after July 1, 2014 will not be eligible for any Sweepstakes. Each user may submit one alternative entry per the day from June 19 to June 28; each day’s entry must be postmarked on that day. Proof of sending or submitting an alternate entry is not proof of receipt of such alternate entry."

No purchase necessary (beyond that of postage and stationary materials). S'pose it depends on the median cost of accruing Summer Adventure Point anyway...

I wonder if that's like a law in the US or something. I don't know if I've ever seen something like this that didn't allow you to mail in an entry.

I wonder if that's like a law in the US or something. I don't know if I've ever seen something like this that didn't allow you to mail in an entry.

I would bet actual money that it was, although in the US I'd also be able to submit a 4"x6" note card.