JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Yo Architecture, Wolfenstein is $40.19.

Super cool, thanks for the heads up!

Is this a flash sale, or can I wait five days before pulling the trigger?

Well, it says:

Buy Wolfenstein: The New Order
SUMMER SALE! Offer ends June 30th

So you theoretically have that long, it just strikes me as odd that it didn't start as on sale and only updated to that discount half-way through. I kinda doubt it'll get any cheaper, so you might want to pull the trigger while you can. Your call, though.

Has anyone tried the stuff in the roguelike bundle? I tend to usually like roguelikes a lot, and they all look somewhat interesting?

Well, it says "Offer ends June 30th."

So you theoretically have that long, it just strikes me as odd that it didn't start as on sale and only updated to that discount half-way through. I kinda doubt it'll get any cheaper, so you might want to pull the trigger while you can. Your call, though.

Yeah I saw that as well and found it odd. I'm pretty sure it's the number one game on my wishlist so I should've been emailed about it going on sale, presumably.

Anyway, I'm at least gonna wait for the deals to refresh but you're probably right about that being the best deal we're going to see on a game that's a month old.

I've never had the Steam emails work. I've checked the setting 100 times, but never get an update if something I want goes on sale. 

I've never had the Steam emails work. I've checked the setting 100 times, but never get an update if something I want goes on sale. 

It's pretty hit and miss for me.  It never works during the Steam sales though, which is probably just as well since I'd get a ton of emails every day.

I've got a ton of stuff on my wishlist, and get emails quite often.  Though most of the time the email just makes me wonder, "Why on earth did I ever put that on my wishlist?"

I've got a ton of stuff on my wishlist, and get emails quite often.  Though most of the time the email just makes me wonder, "Why on earth did I ever put that on my wishlist?"

Aww man, you stole the joke I was going to make. I get the emails all the time, though never reliably, and think of them as my "you should remove this item from your wishlist" reminder.

So this is a stupid question but now that Infinite is on sale, I was thinking of grabbing it and Burial at Sea for $15. I already own the game on Xbox, but I figure DLC never goes on sale for it. Is Burial at Sea sufficiently weird and interesting to justify repurchasing the game?

I heartedly endorse the Banner Saga as it's going at 50% at the moment. Not an easy game (think FTL  but with fantasy Norse mythology and a bit of structure to it), but decent overall.   

FO3 and FONV have been $5 in previous sales, so it struck me as odd that they were only going for 66% each instead of 75%. Glad that FO3 at least got the proper cut, eventually.

I heartedly endorse the Banner Saga as it's going at 50% at the moment. Not an easy game (think FTL  but with fantasy Norse mythology and a bit of structure to it), but decent overall.   

That has probably been my absolute favorite game to come out of the Kickstarter revolution.  Can't recommend it enough for fans of strategy RPGs.

FO3 and FONV have been $5 in previous sales, so it struck me as odd that they were only going for 66% each instead of 75%. Glad that FO3 at least got the proper cut, eventually.

I'm tempted to pick it up as I haven't played it since 2008 when it red-ringed my Xbox, but as I just picked up Skyrim I might just leave it be until the next sale

Especially if I'm going to pick up Wolfenstein, as it's probably the last game I'll buy from the sale

any opinion of "Child of Light", i played a demo on PS and thought it was really nice looking and decent RPG mechanics

Being a single-player game i can be patient for a deeper cut, probably be @50% by the winter sale.

My debate boils down to for ~$12 get Banner Saga or Child of Light for an RPG time killer.  I suspect Banner Saga is the better choice

If a multiplayer-only, purely combat version of Banner Saga will satisfy your needs, then you can just download Banner Saga: Factions. It's free to play.

Also, if you add me on Steam, I'll defeat you many times while giving you pointers if you like. "Clyde" is my handle.

any opinion of "Child of Light", i played a demo on PS and thought it was really nice looking and decent RPG mechanics

Being a single-player game i can be patient for a deeper cut, probably be @50% by the winter sale.

I remember the RPS review faulted it pretty heavily for being aimed at children, both in terms of story/character complexity and system depth. I can say from experience that The Banner Saga has neither of those faults, though it does have others.

That has probably been my absolute favorite game to come out of the Kickstarter revolution.  Can't recommend it enough for fans of strategy RPGs.

I found the actual combat to get somewhat samey but the Oregon Trail part is really nice.

Try signing up for notifications on cheapshark.com instead. It checks pretty much every digital vendor for sales, and you can set a specific price for them to notify you when it goes below.

im going to sleep on the banner saga purchase.  i took a quick look at the library and, whew, i got stuff to do before it drops 75%.  and my see-sawing decision on a wii-u doesnt need another CC charge to valve against it.

i will give banner saga factions a try though, ty for recommendation

Man, the red team won again? I guess the whole Reddit thing is over, huh? I was going to craft my summer badge when it was my team's turn again, but I'm sure I will get a turn again.

Anyway, Steamworld Dig is closer to a platform game with mining that another Terraria/Minecraft clone, right? I remember someone talking about here in the forums recently.

Yes, Steamworld Dig is much closer to a platformer.  There's no crafting in the game and the resources you mine are worth money and not used as actual resources.  It has enemies you fight and abilities you unlock as you progress.  Really the only way it resembles Terraria or Minecraft is that you can dig out the level and create your own path to things.  It is definitely not a clone of those games.

Is it worth paying ~2.5x more for the Dishonored GOTY edition to get the DLC? Maybe it's better to play the game first and see if I enjoy it.

It seemed like a lot of people thought the DLC was the best part of it.  I played it on 360, and wish I had it on Steam instead.  I'm just not willing to buy DLC at this point for 360 games since I'm barely using the 360 anymore. 

I bought Steamworld Dig.  Had been interested in it for awhile, and at $2.50, seems like a no-brainer to pick it up.

Steamworld Dig is pretty much 50% Metroidvania, 50% Terraria. Super good, well worth that paltry sum.

RED TEAM REPRESENT!