JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

Admittedly, the chances are pretty slim. But we do get people popping up now and again to complain about the supposed radical liberal bias of podcast guests so, on that basis, you never know.

I only owned it on PS3, so I might buy it and yet again give it a shot. Maybe my qualms with the feel of the weapons doesn't translate to the PC version?

What are the odds that there are regular Idle Forum members who don't already own it?

:getmecoat

I'm really debating whether to get the "uber" Humongous bundle, if all games are released at 50% like the first batch, it's not worth it, but what if it's not? What are the chances that all of the games are on sale during the first week of release? Hmm... 

I also noticed Fatty Bear is not part of the bundle, I wonder why? 

Discriminatory reasons, I would wager.

The games will be on sale at some point in future, surely. It's just a question of whether you can wait or whether you want to take advantage now.

According to the calendar they will release a few titles each two weeks until they have them all and frankly, I kinda don't like the idea of buying a bundle that's TOO big.

Am I the only one who after buying a big game bundle or after a big sale feels compelled to plow though a few as quickly as possibly because it's kinda scaring to see your backlog triple in size all of the sudden.

So Skullgirls is 50% off...

Anyone play it and have an opinion on it? I'm interested in it since it's apparently very friendly to people who don't play fighting games. Also, the music and art style looks lovely. What puts me off is the character design which, despite being lovingly animated and detailed from what I see in trailers, are kind of gross in their blatant, anime-ish pandering sexualization of the characters, from big jiggling boobs to panty shots.

And the devs' excuse is that the animator is a lady...? As if that's justification...? But yeah, idk what to concretely feel. Any thoughts on the game?

Mechanically, the game is super solid. It's in the MvC style of million hit combos, tags, and whatnot. PC is also the place to get it, as it has the most active community. 

There's only 10 characters at the moment (with 3 more in the works), but each one is extremely different, with their individual styles touching on common fighting game styles (Filia is your Ken / Ryu, Big Band has elements of the big guys, Hugo and Q, in SF3rd, etc). 

The lead animator is a part of MechaFetus (NSFW), which was also where Paul Robertson posted a lot of his work in the past. Gross out and exploitation is sort of their thing. 

One from the archives - The Last Express is 60% off on Steam, which should make it cost not a great deal at all.

One from the archives - The Last Express is 60% off on Steam, which should make it cost not a great deal at all.

I was just coming here to post that.  I think I own it on iOs, but am way more likely to play it on Steam.  Finally got me to list the 50ish cards in my inventory so I can pay for it. 

Super good PSN sale starting tomorrow to celebrate Golden Week in Japan (source: PS Blog) - 

Title - PS Plus Sale Price, Sale Price, Original Price

Armored Core: Verdict Day (PS3) - $5.00$9.99$19.99

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS3) - $24.49$34.99$49.99

Atelier Meruru Plus: The Apprentice of Arland (PS Vita) - $19.59$27.99$39.99

Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventurer of Arland (PS Vita) - $19.59$27.99$39.99

Chrono Cross (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) - $3.49$4.99$9.99

Chrono Trigger (PS3/PSP/PS Vita) - $3.49$4.99$9.99

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (PS Vita) - $32.39$35.99$39.99

Devil May Cry HD Collection (PS3) - $8.99$14.99$29.99

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (PS3) - $15.00$29.99$59.99

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z (PS Vita) - $10.00$19.99$39.99

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (PS3) - $5.00$9.99$19.99

Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3) - $14.69$20.99$29.99

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PS3) - $14.99$24.99$49.99

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (PS3) - $11.99$19.99$39.99

Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (PS Vita) - $8.99$14.99$29.99

Muramasa Rebirth (PS Vita) - $7.49$12.49$24.99

Persona 4 Golden (PS Vita) - $14.62$19.49$29.99

rain (PS3) - $3.75$7.49$14.99

Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers (PS3) - $15.00$29.99$59.99

SoulCalibur V (PS3) - $5.00$9.99$19.99

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3) - $10.00$19.99$39.99

Time and Eternity (PS3) - $9.79$13.99$19.99

Ys: Memories of Celceta (PS Vita) - $19.59$27.99$39.99

Zone of the Enders HD Collection (PS3) - $10.49$17.49$34.99

I'm considering Armored Core, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Muramasa Rebirth, and Soul Calibur V. I, of course, highly recommend the sub-$15 Persona 4 Golden (for Plus members at least, which you should be).

Edit: Hopefully improved formatting.

Hmm, is the Chrono Trigger one on there the new one with the extra videos and retranslated dialog?

Anyone play it and have an opinion on it? I'm interested in it since it's apparently very friendly to people who don't play fighting games. Also, the music and art style looks lovely. What puts me off is the character design which, despite being lovingly animated and detailed from what I see in trailers, are kind of gross in their blatant, anime-ish pandering sexualization of the characters, from big jiggling boobs to panty shots.

And the devs' excuse is that the animator is a lady...? As if that's justification...? But yeah, idk what to concretely feel. Any thoughts on the game?

I really enjoy the game and recommend it for anyone who maybe wants to get into fighting games or just have a fighting game in their console for parties that isn't Divekick. I follow the lead animator in a number of social networks and that is straight up her style. In a genre that has made the sexualization of women one of the main defining characteristics it could be argued that this game itself is rather tame in comparison to say the Namco fighting games *cough* Ivy *cough* or the Dead or Alive series. Not saying it's right just that it does a better job than most fighting games. 

Yeah, that stuff was all over her blogs way before Skull Girls even started. I wouldn't be surprised to find out she was the main catalyst for the sex appeal.

I love this game. Backed the indiegogo campaign and everything. Somehow I doubt that the devs would just explain the art style away like that, but I'm willing to be proven wrong. Also the previous comment say that her style was overly-sexualised to begin with, so meh?

I didn't want to mention the art style though, as it didn't bother me, and wasn't a distraction when it got to the fights. Instead just a thumbs up for the beginner aspect, as it does a really lovely job at introducing not just how to play skull girls, but all fighting games in general. It explains things like pokes, their tactical uses and how you could chain them into combos. It's tutorial mode is very extensive and gets quite complicated, going into move cancelling into specials and the such, which is super useful to know, as it applies to most if not all fighting games, and is something that's usually never explained. Likewise, there's individual character tutorials too.

My only beef with the game is the final boss, which is a real bitch because she goes against everything the game teaches you, instead being a fucking tank that you just have to pound and hope she dies before you do. she doesn't flinch, and just sends out ranged attacks which feel unfair and kinda rushed given the rest of the games well thought out and balanced move sets. 

Also a props to the story which is enjoyable and not silly like some fighting games *cough* tekken *cough*. Each character has their own arc of varying length. Big Band's one is particularly great, but I also loved Pinwheel's too. 

Finally, it's the only fighting game I know of that's fully independent, which deserves some props I think.

That's really interesting. I've never played a fighting game for more than about 10 minutes at a party. I generally find them incredibly boring or impossible to get in to. 

I've looked at Skullgirls a few times because I like the art style - it seems fun and tongue in cheek which makes me want to pick it up. I'm just concerned that I'd have no one to play with and get annihilated online.

How long is the single player? I'm not normally one to complain about short games, but when I'm not a fan of the genre I feel like it has to have potential to keep me interested and be worth the purchase.

It's certainly tounge-in-cheek. I haven't tested the online yet, but I shall tonight and get back to you? I assume there'll be some ranking system like in Tekken.

The single player isn't all that long. you could probably blast through a character's story in about half an hour if you play it on easy. In general the fights are enjoyable until the last boss, as previously stated, so I play it on easy to make the last boss less infuriating.

A fighting game that has a great story which is really long is also on sale! Blazblue: Calamity Trigger 33% off on steam! DOUBLE RELEVANT.

I have a soft spot for the Blazblue series, as it got me into fighting games. The fighting mechanics have similarly been made for beginners in mind, but in a different way. It doesn't have the six-button Street Fighter Low/Medium/High Punch/Kick setup like in skull girls, but instead a 4 button set up of L/M/H and a 'Special' button. This is more enjoyable, as it makes you be able to pull of some awesome moves easily just by pressing the special button, but it doesn't make it too broken. Even the most broken character (Jin and his fucking Ice Car) can be countered easily if you know what you're doing. The button layout also lends itself better to game pads.

The tutorial of BB isn't as good as SG, but the story mode of BB is stronger, as each character's story is a visual novel, with choices along the way as well as fights which change the outcome depending on if you win/lose. I even like how the story explains how every character experiences a different story with different outcomes and events, which always kinda bugged me in fighting games. Also some of the comedy endings are great too.

TL:DR - get BB if you're more interested in a story, SG if you're more interested in fighting games mechanics.

Just bought three months of PlayStation Plus purely for backing up my saves following my recent PS3 death, and feel like I've been smacked in the face with value already after finding Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons and BioShock Infinite sat there waiting for me to download for free — two games I was planning to buy very soon. Now I see why everyone gushes about this offering.

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. I'm acumulating a backlog faster than I can possibly play. I had to make allowances on my new year's resolution to "play more games than I get" and instead "play more games than I buy."

Playstation Plus does seem like some crazy unsustainable promotion. The only caveat is that those games are only yours as long as you subscribe. Which makes complete sense, but there's still that part of me that feels uncomfortable with the blurring between buying/renting/streaming. I like to keep the responsibility my end, if that makes sense. I can control my own discs and harddrives and backup saves/etc and make sure they're clean and functional. I can't control if some guy at Sony flicks the wrong switch or if there's an internet meltdown or the servers explode.

It's an antiquated, paranoid mindset that I may grow out of. Over the course of a lifetime I'm sure the service would allow you to play many more games for much less money. But what if WW3 breaks out and millions perish and I can't play video games anymore to escape the horror!?! ;)

Yeah, the lack of ownership wasn't lost on me but considering how completely cheap it is in general there's just no real downside. Even if you don't play the free games, the service is worth it to me for the overnight updating of the OS and games (useful when your connection isn't that fast), plus backing up of saved games. I'm glad I have a Super Slim PS3 now though, because I'd imagine that it uses infinitely less power when doing the overnight stuff compared to my original PS3.

So how is the online for SG? I'm still kinda interested, I'd quite like to at least be...adequate at fighting games. If it takes a good looking game to teach me it's probably worth it.