JonCole

General Video Game Deals Thread

I got a year of Playstation Plus for Christmas. Thus far I've gotten Gravity Rush, Wipeout 2048, and Frobisher Says with it. What else is worth it? I have a PS3, a PS Vita, and a PSP.

Is anyone else having trouble with Steam right now? I assume it's due to the ridiculous influx they'll receive from L4D2 being free, but it has severely disrupted my ability to spend money on Shelter and Skyrim which is a tad disappointing as I have to go to sleep now. Oh well, if any kind soul manages to buy Shelter as a gift I'll happily refund them the £1.74.

Is anyone else having trouble with Steam right now? I assume it's due to the ridiculous influx they'll receive from L4D2 being free, but it has severely disrupted my ability to spend money on Shelter and Skyrim which is a tad disappointing as I have to go to sleep now. Oh well, if any kind soul manages to buy Shelter as a gift I'll happily refund them the £1.74.

You have two minutes in which to purchase Papers Please for the Grand Papers Please PPHOILER Season 2014! Go go go!

I've been relatively reserved this sale, and I still feel like I've bought to much.  But these at least are all games that I have really wanted and fully intend on playing (unlike any number of previous Steam sale purchases).

Guacamelee! Gold Edition
LEGO Marvel Super Heroes
La-Mulana
Legend of Dungeon
XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Slingshot DLC
XCOM: Enemy Within
Papers, Please
Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut
The Stanley Parable

Enemy Within is the real gem of the sale so far, I'm blown away by how good that is.  Had Xcom shipped like it is with EW, it may well have been declared the best game of the decade. 

My list so far:

Deus Ex: HR Director's Cut for $5

Paper's Please for $5

Flotilla for $2.50

I found Legend of Dungeon to be really disappointing. A beat-em-up with only one move :(

I've only played it in co-op, and that's been fun, certainly one evening of it justified the $1.49 it cost.  I can see it wearing thin very fast by yourself though.

I thought that Guacamelee! was a Smash Bros style fighting game based on the name and a couple of screenshots I had seen, so never had any interest in it.  Until I actually bothered to read its description this morning and learned that it's a Metroidvania game with heavy Day of the Dead elements that has local co-op!  I would have bought it at full price at that point, good thing it was on the Flash sale.

My current "score is"

• Trials Evolution Gold
  • Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches (ROW)
  • Rise of the Triad
  • Eldritch
  • The Bridge
  • DuckTales Remastered

I didn't expect Trials Evolution to be a unisoft game :/ Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

Lets see if Valve will refund me the Trails Evolution purchase.

I didn't expect Trials Evolution to be a unisoft game :/ Otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

That game is fantastic, except that the PC version has a lot of framerate issues, appears to be a lazy port. Also, yeah the Uplay stuff is a drag.

But that game's fantastic on xbla.

Hm... should I get Anno 2070? I liked the previous one, but if this is just more of the same with a sci-fi theme, I would rather skip.

What do other people have on their non-commital wish list?

Gun Monkeys, which I already own yet cannot remove from it.

I've reached a real stalemate with Steam sales. There are so many games I'm yet to play that I'm rarely in any hurry to buy more, so like Nappi's 10€ rule, I have a threshold for impulse buys and it keeps dropping.

But, uh, that said:

Fez (Not going to have a 360 much longer)

Gone Home (I played the IGF build, been meaning to get around to the full game for ages).

Incredipede

Kerbal Space Program

Papers, Please

Teleglitch, Die More Edition

Typing of the Dead: Overkill

A few of those were christmas presents because my brother and I hate physical stuff and have decided Steam wishlists are a rad way to do Christmas presents.

So far, between what I've bought for myself and some gifts from an especially generous friend, this is my haul:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut upgrade

Eldritch

Antichamber

Huntsman: The Orphanage

Amnesia: Machine for Pigs

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons

The Stanley Parable

Race The Sun

Super Hexagon (... but shit, it was 29 cents!)

So I have my work cut out for me!

My goal of completing more games than I buy this year has kept me pretty limited on purchases. The only things I bought were Gone Home and Brutal Legend.

However I did recieve a bunch of gifts from the sale (Rogue Legacy, Papers Please, Witcher 2, Penny Arcade 4, Contagion, Crusader Kings 2 DLC, Civ5 DLC) so I'll have plenty to play.

Thus far, backlog intimidation has kept me from buying too much but I have dipped my toes in where the deals seem good enough or the want to play a game seems immediate enough. So far, I've grabbed:

Age of Empires 2: The Forgotten (DLC)

Deponia

La-Mulana

Eldritch

Shadowrun Returns

Ys 1 and 2

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

I feel I'll play AoE2, Shadowrun, and CoJ in fairly short order, and all the rest was ludicrously cheap so I had at it. Between the Steam cards profits I've made and a sudden windfall of $12ish PayPal credit I've spent something like $10 on this sale so far. Really wild, dumb stuff.

I also purchased God of War: Ascension for $10 on PlayStation Network for their winter sale. I feel pretty good about that, since the last time I played GoW was God of War 2 (for the first time) via the HD Collection about a year and a half ago. I feel primed for another game of that type, so seemed as good a deal as I'd get for a couple years.

My Updated Buy List

Antichamber

Binding of Isaac

Gunpoint

Frozen Synapse

Kentucky Route Zero (on Humble)

Machinarium

Monaco

Penny Arcade 4

Super Hexagon

Sword & Sworcery

The Walking Dead

Writing these down I think I may play too many indie games...

I was just about to buy a Don't Starve Two Pack for $1.70 but I guess Valve or whoever realized that was a mistake while I was checking out and brought the price up to $7. Too rich for my taste.

I was just about to buy a Don't Starve Two Pack for $1.70 but I guess Valve or whoever realized that was a mistake while I was checking out and brought the price up to $7. Too rich for my taste.

I got the 2-pack at the price, just thought it was an awesome deal, and then looked again a few minutes later and it had jumped up in price.  I actually feel a little bad, I really like the developer of Don't Starve and didn't mean to take advantage of a glitch. 

I got the 2-pack at the price, just thought it was an awesome deal, and then looked again a few minutes later and it had jumped up in price.  I actually feel a little bad, I really like the developer of Don't Starve and didn't mean to take advantage of a glitch. 

Yeah, part of me just wants to buy it to give back to Klei. They're from Vancouver (where I live) and I feel like they're a good standard for local indie devs.

Still, I woke up, saw 1.70 and JUMPED at the deal. 

I'm giving away my second copy out of guilt, even though I would normally use it to trade for something else that I wanted.  I don't feel right profiting from store glitch.  If I didn't already own every other Klei game, I would just buy one of those.

I've been doing alright this sale.

"Tomb Raider Legend" and "Super Hexagon" were both purchased entirely with money in my Steam Wallet from selling the card drops, so, essentially, free.

I also bought Spelunky last night.